17' Series No full Annex allowed???

DPatto

May 8, 2014
Northern VIC.
These rules could be open for interpretation. If I was to order three canvas sections to attach to my awning, with each section having a window and the end two having doors. This would allow ventilation and could be argued it is not an enclosed area.

Dandy

Jan 18, 2014
I'm glad we didn't know anything about this when we ordered and paid for then picked up our van with full annexe, annexe side fridge and front mount gas bayonet!

I suppose we'll just have to have years of trouble free caravaning like thousands of others before us:panda::peace:

Bards

May 3, 2014
Blue Mountains
We'll I spoke to a jayco dealer today as I am currently waiting for my 17.56.2ob, he said as long as the annex has low air vents that allow the gas if leaking to dissipate and Leave the annex it's fine, he said that jayco are now putting vents in the annexes that require them.

Hope that helps anyone worrying about this!

Must say its a slight over reaction!

Reactions: rcf and Buckleys

Hoffy

Jun 10, 2014
Gold Coast, Queensland
Thanks everyone for your input.
It's all a little confusing with some dealers/businesses saying no annex at the moment and then others saying all ok. We are going up to the dealer in a couple of weeks to finalise the extras etc so will have a good chat then and hopefully resolve.
Thanks again everyone, you have all been really helpful. Cheers

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
Its probably a Victoria thing, as I am pretty sure they have banned un flued gas heaters in your house. I have a friend who just got a 14 44 4 with a hot water and its basically under the table window so the exhaust would go straight up and in the window without to much trouble.
The 14.44-5 has the hot water heater under the seat but vents to the outside on the RHS, not the Annexe side as does the fridge in this model. The cooktop exhaust is inside the Annexe however. Never heard this issue mentioned before.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I think you'll find the answer here:
http://mines.industry.qld.gov.au/safety-and-health/rv-forum.html
Not sure of the state of play and there are other aspects relating to gas cylinders you'll find interesting.
Do we need to get the answers supplied at this rv-forum circulated more widely amongst members?
Gas cylinders 'Inside' the draw-bar, no to connecting Baby-Q via flexible hose to bayonet fitting and using inside annexe?
Am I right? Only for new models? Leaves more questions than it answers IMHO.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Just let the Manufacturers sort it and enjoy your caravan. My annexe is getting started in a week. Looking forward to it.
By the way, the way I interpret the link above is an approved bbq is OK on a bayonet just not a cooker/stove. Don't ask what the difference is! Don't! I love my weber on a bayonet.

rodney

Apr 23, 2014
A lot of gas stuff changed vent are in the pop tops bein built now too the pen pushers are making it harder and harder for everyone to get outside and enjoy it then wonder why we get fat

peter h

Feb 12, 2014
hello all. yes this only appplies to new vans (in Qld) next month and other states when they addopt the new standard. older vans have to comply to the standards in place when they were built. how ever any new work or additions have to comply with the new standard. it is the same as cars, eg pre 1973 no emission gear required, however put a later engine in and it must comply to the later standard. finaly got a reply from qld gas people and this is the official reply from them

AS/NZS 5601.2:2010 Gas installations Part 2: LP Gas installations in caravans and boats for non-propulsive purposes: is the standard relevant to your caravan gas system enquiry. This standard will be replaced in the coming month with a 2013 version. The 2013 version is available and contains some changes to cylinder compliance. Any modifications made to your caravan gas system need only be compliant to the standard in place at the time of the installation. Modifications to your gas system must be conducted by a licensed gasfitter. Please consult your licensed gasfitter to ensure any gas work undertaken on your caravan is conducted under the relevant standard in place at the time of the gas system modification. Your gasfitter will certify the gas work is compliant and provide you with a Gas System Compliance Certificate.
Please contact me if you have any further queries.
Kind Regards
Ian Bartels
Senior Petroleum & Gas Inspector, Southern Region

catch you later
peter

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
I think that pretty much covers it all. Even says that connecting your BBQ via a flexible hose to a bayonet fitting is not allowed. Wont be long before Jayco stop supplying these on the Outback.
I think you will find if the bayonet is outside the annex and you use your BBQ outside the annex, it is fine.
By outside the annex, it needs to be forward of where the annex starts.
There also seems to be a limit of 3m for the length of the extension hose.
This new regs are not retrospective by the way only applying to new vans built after May 2014 I believe or if you have alterations made eg gas bayonet fitted to older vans that require a certification by a qualified gas fitter.
I am not an expert and we should wait for a qualified person to clarify this for us.

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
All I can say is thank goodness I got my full annex made a couple of months ago as my stove is on the annex side. Made a quick phone call and confirmed my thoughts and cash still speaks a multitude of languages as long as you are happy to have no receipt.

Reactions: Dandy

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Hi guys,
It's all about the new AS/NZS 5601.2 :2013 which comes into effect as of 1st July 2014
It is mandatory for all new vans and any older vans that have gas modifications done and hence need to have a gas fitter certify it. Any van sold needs to have a gas certification.
Read this thread for more details
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/annex-safety-problems.5376/#post-80664
Jayco vans were always gas certified. Are you saying that once a dealer fits an annexe on the fridge side it needs to be re certified because that area is now becoming an indoor area and the flue off the fridge is now indoors.

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Just went through and ran the calculation from AS/NZS 5601.2 2013 for our van, for the fridge @ 1.24MJ/hr and the stove/grill @20.8MJ/hr the total vent area V = 18644.4mm², therefore two vents 200mm x 100mm placed on either side or either end of the annex is sufficient ventilation to meet compliance under the standard so where the annex industry reps or governing body or whatever are getting the 30% figure I don't know but based on this it is way wrong.

Dave

Reactions: Dandy

gwadir

Feb 2, 2013
Albion Park, NSW
Jayco vans were always gas certified. Are you saying that once a dealer fits an annexe on the fridge side it needs to be re certified because that area is now becoming an indoor area and the flue off the fridge is now indoors.
@macca

From reading the standard no you don't have to get it re-certified, re-certification is only required if you alter the installation.

Dave

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
There are two subject headings about this subject, I think it would be good if mods merged them.

Jul 4, 2014
Engadine
Have you thought about the Waeco 12v fridge.....if its still an option? Then there will be no issue.

Also I saw a 2014 17 ob expanda on the weekend at Corrimal Beach cp NSW that had a full Kakadu annex it had Jayco Newcastle dealer stickers on it.
That was my van. Took it to Corrimal for first run. Jayco Newcastle had the annex fitted by Kakadu. The van was the 1 they had ordered for the Sydney show. No mention of gas issues