Nissan Navara DEAD after 1st day of towing our 17.56.2

Maybe an extra auto oil cooler as well ??????? Or bigger one
I think they took care of that one too!

UPDATE:
I picked up the car and as I am waiting for the towball to be mounted a bit lower, I can update you with the exact weight of the car:

Including half full tank and some equipment at the back it weights 2.46 to ! That’s a lot!

How come?
• bullbar
• heavy duty steel canopy
• heavy duty steel rims
• heavy duty suspension and coils

Adding 200 kg for passengers that totals to 2.66 tons. Our caravan has loaded 2.25 tons.

Nissan said towing capacity needs to be reduced by 300 kg because of tow ball download. How come?

Can anybody solve that big mistery if we are below or above limits? Maybe @cwcchap ?
Don’t wanna be risking spoiling a trip that can only get better - not worse

cwcchap

Sep 9, 2018
Belrose
You need to confirm the ball weight of the caravan. Based on what you have provided and an expected 200kg ........ you are on the border of the GVM limitation of the Nissan (max 2860).
1548200251073.png

Reactions: Jack Lucy & Josh

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
What's the actual ball weight of the van by the scale as this gets added to the tugs GVM.....
A quick bit of math and you should be okay but it isn't a big worry, looks under.......once all fixed just go, the scally around the next bend waiting to get you is just a urban myth.

2slow

Jul 20, 2018
Gawler SA
Have been following your unfortunate saga and I'm glad that it all seems to be now working out.

Just to let you know:
I'm with Drover 100%, just get the rig back together and go and enjoyed your adventure. Your weights are so close to legal it would be almost impossible for anyone to ascertain whether or not your 50kg over.
The number rigs that are on the road which are just so obviously grossly overloaded by several hundred kg's is plain crazy.
You mentioned that you are getting the tow ball mounted a bit lowered which will make the whole set look perfectly balanced, well done, looks are important.

Get on the road and get going...…………………...

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
If you are 2.66 with "a few tools" and people, after adding the tow ball weight you're at GVM as others have pointed out. So if this is the case (for whatever reason), I'd be dumping that big canopy (which I think is the culprit of most of your weight issues) and change to a tray/tub. If you can't carry anything because of weight, what's it there for? If you are doing trips without the van (i.e. tents) you can just as easily chuck it in the tub/tray and tie down.

Also you've got loads of GCM left based on @cwcchap figures. So what weight can you move to the van? Nav's spare tyre on the back of the van would help your GVM as well as your ball weight.

Just be aware, lightening a ball weight on a van is not something I'd recommend.

And whilst I agree with those that speak of not worrying about the Fuzz (cops) my issue is running a car you are relying on so much with day to day life so close to it's recommended weights. It's fine if you are doing a one off trip. But you are living out of it and relying 100% on it. I'd be making sure you don't stress it as much as possible. @Bluey 's recommendations on oil coolers, as well as trans coolers, upgraded exhaust, etc. all help protect your investment.

But just my opinion.

another Update on our endless story:

• drove 100 km south of Sydney (av. speed of 80 km/h on highway) and stopped realizing that steam was coming out of the bonnet again!
This time the car lost some coolant via that overpressure-valve on top of the coolant-container. Let the car cool down, stopped in the next village, slept at the driveway of some really nice people and checked everything the next morning. Car was fine, it just had to get rid of too much expanding coolant.
Not the car had broken down, it was my confidence in our setup.

Checked all tyre pressures (were too low), now it's a much smoother ride and it seems as it's not as stressful for the car as it used to be.
Still, going up small hills is not a joy ride, but I am confident the car brings us where ever we want to go.

@Bluey: I believe they did change the auto-radiator as well
@cwcchap: Thanks a lot for your calculations!!
@Drover: Can't tell the exact ball weight. Will check on that when we are near a weightbridge
@2slow: You are right, but just because a lot of others are driving around overweighted doesn't mean I have to do it as well ;-)
@Smergen: Yes, the canopy definitely adds to the weights, but the actual payload of 500 kg consists of
• bullbar (maybe 100 kg)
• fuel (50 kg)
• heavy duty steel rims (maybe an extra 50 kg)
• heavy duty suspension and coils (who knows how much)
• an engel fridge and some equipment (about 100 kg)

So I believe the canopy has a maximum weight of around 200 kg.
How heavy is a normal fiberglass canopy tub? Would changing to that really bring a big benefit?

Question to all:
How can I improve the radiators efficiency?

• I have 2 big spotters mounted on the Bullbar right in front of the radiator. Would removing those add to its efficiency?

PS: Break controller installed 10 days ago. Nationwide recall for the Redarc Elite Pro V2. Yeah, I just add that to our list!

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you are going to do a lot of night driving keep the spotties if not take them off, they do impede air flow.................
That should have cleared any air pockets out of the system just keep an eye on it, the coolant should stay its normal red/green/blue it shouldn't get murky. In morning look under the bonnet make sure no new snail trails left from coolant, header tank is on the mark and check wheel nuts on ute and van when cool, not hot...........

I don't think you would gain much by changing from tray to tub, just a lot of hassle, more to it than just unbolting.

The steel rims are probably just steel rims swapping to alloy will only gain about 2 kg per rim at most.

HD suspension is a must ... rear leafs are heavier but are worth it.

Travel with only one water tank full, if going to a park then just carry it half full.

If you still have 2 batteries in back of ute then getting rid of one would save 35kgs......

Check tyre pressure when cold then later in day check when hot they should be around 4-6 psi higher, lower than 4 they are too hard over 8 then they are too low, once you have that figured then they should be good and just need to do a daily tyre kick.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
PS: as you travel along the highways you will see RTA Weigh Bridges for trucks and stuff, Do Not Go into them, if you want to go on some scales you need a Public Weighbridge.........most Navaras and Prado's you see toeing will be in the same situation, doesn't make it right but your not alone.

Stayed 2 nights in Jamberoo (loved it) and now we are heading south. At the moment we are near Jervis Bay. Any recommendations for a free camp?

I still have no faith and confidence in the car and whenever we approach a small hill, my blood pressure goes up as well as Navaras temperature. But within the limits.

The other day we made the breaks smoke. But I guess that’s pretty normal for new pads and driving a 5to rig down the southern highlands.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Use your gears, go manual when hitting the bottom of the hills that are going to be a climb and change down gears manually for going down hills, as you get to the top of a big hill throw your tranny into 2nd or 3rd gear and use the engine to supply a bit of braking, keeping the tacho about 750 revs below the red line this should allow you just to tap the brakes not keep them applied for long periods, going into 1st gear for downhills is often called for especially on some of the hills down south.............. Keeping your foot on the peddle for long periods will heat the brakes and they will fade away, you can end up with no braking, cooked brakes or fire, always if your brakes get really hot and smoky if the road is flat and you don't need to use them, keep going so they will cool down, stopping doesn't let them cool at all well......... do not put water on hot brake drums unless they have burst into flames, cold water can cause the drums to crack or explode as they are only cast...............
Jervis Bay is my old stomping grounds, absolutely fantastic place but buggerall free camps, used to shoot Bunnies as a kid around Jamberoo and hike all over the hills when it was all just bush, farms and a sleepy little village....If you like aircraft I can highly recommend the Fleet Air Arm Museum at HMAS Albatross just out of Nowra, I was stationed there a few times many years ago.

I know what you mean about trust, never fear it will come back after awhile, having dropped a radiator, an alternator burst into flames, blown oil lines and a starter motor go up in flames over the years, the trust comes back.....................well most times, coming down Camberwarra Mountain in a truck with no brakes did unsettle me for the return trip and I never took that truck out again actually.............

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
So when you come close to melb we can catch up for sure you need to start a new thread on your travells and leave this dead navara thing behind
I work most saturdays but can easy hook up van saturday arvo and head your way maybee Phillip Island ?????? Theres a van park close to melb at Werribee south on the beach nice weather its great bad weather not so good about half hr or so into town from there close to werribee zoo or can ditch car at train station and train it in to town but can help you with places to park in town ....... wilsons prom the lowest point of vic another great place heaps of birds ... wombats walking around one of Victorias great spots to go kids will love it great beaches too can easy spend a few days there wait till i tell you about Adelaide hills now theres a challange for you 15ks up 15ks straight down traffic lights at bottom but you can go around ive planned a way for you to go around the coast

Andre307

May 18, 2016
Adelaide
I’ve been watching your thread @Jack Lucy & Josh with interest and worry at times. Glad to hear the Navara is working out. As mentioned, best start a new thread of all your happy new adventures :)
And @Bluey is right, watch the Adelaide hills they are deceptively steep so don’t worry about dropping speed to keep the stress down on the tow vehicle. From memory one part I was down to 3rd @ 85kph and still overtaking other setups at <60.
All the best with the trip.

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Hi,
This is good for everyone to see, not that I want bad luck for you, but for all of us to know these things do and can happen but now you move on. i was stuck in Alice Springs with a broken down car on my trip for a week but then it was time to move on.

Start a new thread and keep us updated with your travels. Love reading what others are doing while i am sitting at work!

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria
Theres a van park close to melb at Werribee south on the beach nice weather its great bad weather not so good about half hr or so into town from there close to werribee zoo or can ditch car at train station and train it in to town but can help you with places to park in town .......

Hey @Bluey Must check out this park in Werribee some time. Might be good for a quick weekend escape.!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Potato Point just south of Bateman's and east of Bodalla, is fantastic outside tourist times, like now, camp by beach all sorts of wildlife but you have to pay....lived, camped all over that coast, you can spend a few years exploring the hills behind the coast, lovely creeks, tracks, caves.