Electrical Night time running lights

Andrewm02

Feb 25, 2013
Bungendore
Hi everyone,

Hope you are having a great long weekend. We are at koala shores at Lemon tree Passage.

On the way up on Tuesday night, I noticed that three of the night time running lights on the top corners of my van weren't working.

Does anyone know where I should begin looking to work this one out? I have checked the 12pin plug and it looks good. image.jpg

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
The tags on the sides of lense hold the light in.

I'd look elsewhere 1st as it is 3 not working and if your not keen on removing the lights.

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
I would start at all the cable joins under the van. Where the cable comes from the a-frame. More than likely something has come apart there.

BJ.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If it is the upper rear clearance lights, remove the right hand stop and/or turn lights to gain access into the cavity bvehind where you will find a conglomeration of cables one of which could possibly have a loose connection, from memory I think you are mainly looking for a brown with white cable.(do not pull on any wire and that goes for any cable that runs into the van, if you pop a connector you may never be able to reconnect and will have to try and run a new one.)
I very much doubt it would be the lights themselves and with a couple of them going dark it points to a connection, to remove the led lights you must pop the side tabs, if your van is more than a couple of years old have silastic handy as the clips will break.

Reactions: bigcol and Bmhdg76

Andrewm02

Feb 25, 2013
Bungendore
Thanks @Bmhdg76 and @Drover. I will check it out tomorrow and let you know how I go. I agree it is prob a loose connection seeing as one light is still working. Just wasn't sure where to start looking

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
On mine the cable runs into that rear cavity from underneath then heads into the van via the bottom cupboard for the lower side lights and up the inside wall to the upper lights.

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Just had aproblem with one of mine (upper front) that failed completely, plus a side one that I damaged (don't ask). My experience is that with the silicone they use under the light to ensure water proofing it also ensures that you can't remove the light with out effectively destroying it. Not enough slack to lift the sealed lens out enough to then cut away the silicone to release the wires. The front clearance light wasn't just one LED not working, all 3 had failed. Be careful when getting replacements as it seems that the only way to confirm what colour one you're buying is a small coloured sticker on the back of the sealed lens.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have used a piece of stainless locking wire made into a garrot and used like a cheese cutter to seperate items from silastic.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Both type of lights came with about a 200+mm pair of wires ending in spade terminals. In the case of the side light I was able to trim off or gouge out enough silicone to drag out the internal wires and plug in the new light and all was fixed. With the clearance light enough silicone was sqeezed inside the cavity that it was likely that tugging the wires any harder would have resulted in breaking off the wires somewhere inside the walling. I had to just cut them off and join with minimal spare length and try to stuff them inside the small cavity left. Someone needs to design lights that just plug in to a fixed base.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Your not wrong there @PhilD, I was digging out the silastic and ended up popping the connector and couldn't get the ends back, spent ages trying to force some S/S wire down the cavity so I could tie the cable on it and drag it back up, once there I nade sure the join was just inside the cut out. When those lights get a few years on them the clips on the ends just snap off if you try to remove them, just silasticed the light on then.

Andrewm02

Feb 25, 2013
Bungendore
So I have pulled out my rear clearance light. Is there a trick to checking if the light itself is buggered. Is it as simple as putting + and - on car battery to check or is there another trick because they are LED?

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
In trying to remove mine I ripped the wires out of the housing so no chance of alternate testing. Wiring in new one had it working, so original was definitely faulty. Had the new one not worked as well I would not have been happy.

Andrewm02

Feb 25, 2013
Bungendore
Ok, so I have worked out that the problem is the lights not the wiring. I have replaced the light on the rear and it works fine.
I have starting pulling the fronts apart but have lost the cable that the light connects to in the cavity. It was so full of silastic that it would hardly move. Any sparkies out there got any tricks or know of a tool that I can use to find it?? I have tried a bit of coat hanger with a hook on it but can't find anything.

Thanks Andrew

jvp

Apr 9, 2013
Yorke Peninsula Copper coast SA
I've been an auto elec for quite a few years now & when LED lighting first appeared on caravans all I could see was trouble. They look pretty when new but with no consideration that someday they might need replacement. eg Cables too short & silicon everywhere making it difficult to fit new lamps & test existing lamps. I've got globes on mine. All globes are led in existing lights. All good. I won't change any time soon.
jvp

Reactions: cruza driver

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
I've been an auto elec for quite a few years now & when LED lighting first appeared on caravans all I could see was trouble. They look pretty when new but with no consideration that someday they might need replacement. eg Cables too short & silicon everywhere making it difficult to fit new lamps & test existing lamps. I've got globes on mine. All globes are led in existing lights. All good. I won't change any time soon.
jvp
For the lights in question I'm starting to see sense in that.

Reactions: cruza driver