20' Series New weather seal on Expanda bed end - HELP PLEASE!

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Ok so my dealer has finally heard back from H/O re how to install the BEF, and they have said it needs to be installed where the normal black privacy screen would go..

I think it will be too close to the actual bed end canvas if installed this way?

So I am going in there this arvo after work to get them to show me exactly what they mean, then we will make a decision from there..
The new lid fits into the same moulded body front as the old lid i.e. the same dimensions; with the BEF running around the edge of the old lid it will be interesting to see how they manage to fit the BEF well inside the lip of the new lid. That would seem to leave some excess material ...... I think there will be more than a few interested onlookers

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Ok so the verdict is in - I went and had a chat with the install guys at my local Jayco dealer, and what H/O have decided to do is run a sail track around the lid where the press studs are in the pics below - basically along the 'ridge". There will be several lengths of track, including a couple of smaller bits to get around the lid locks etc. They had pictures (not very clear ones though), that H/O had sent them showing how it has to be done.

So the current black privacy screen and also waterproof BEF are no good, as the press studs pre-done on those are in the wrong spot, and wont line up with the press studs on the lid pictured below. So new BEF's and privacy screen have apparently been ordered - I assume they have also taken into account that the actual size of the BEF and privacy screen will need to be slightly altered as well - guess I will find out soon enough...

Downside to all of this (not that there has been an upside as of yet), is that I wont be able to leave the black privacy screen attached to the lid when using the waterproof BEF, as they will use the same set of press studs...

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_2137.JPG

I'm not convinced that the BEF will be as effective in this new position as it will be closer to the bed end canvas, however when I voiced my concerns to the install guy he laughed at me and started rambling about how the bed end canvas is "completely 100% waterproof", and just would not listen to what I was saying - even me pointing out that "why would Jayco even release a waterproof BEF if their canvas is completely waterproof?" seemed to fall on deaf ears...

When I told him that how on every trip in our previous van the bed ends got wet from rain (with photos as proof), he insisted that it was not possible, and that I must be the "only person that has ever experienced this problem ever" and so on.... I was growing quite weary of his condescending tone by this stage, so just walked away and went to find the actual dealer, who was much more pleasant to talk to.

@Crusty181 - hubby and I discussed the option of going with the older style bed end lid as you have done, but we are going to stick with this lid for now and see how it goes. I will post pics once the new cover is installed, and fingers crossed it will look good and do the job as it's supposed to.

Flossymk1

Apr 29, 2014
Brisbane, QLD
Is the new lid plastic, looks not as agricultural as normal :) so that looks an improvement. So is your van a test subject or has it been done before?

Hubby had a close look at it on Saturday and reckons it is fibreglass? - but it does look a lot better than the old lid, which is why he wants to stick with it.

Has it been done before? Well H/O have definitely done it and sent through pictures of the process and end result to the dealer - however my van will be the first one they try it on locally.... :o :ambivalence:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Is the new lid plastic, looks not as agricultural as normal :) so that looks an improvement. So is your van a test subject or has it been done before?
The external part of the lid seemed to be fibreglass and the internal seemed to be a moulded plastic insert. It looked quiet neat.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hubby had a close look at it on Saturday and reckons it is fibreglass? - but it does look a lot better than the old lid, which is why he wants to stick with it.

Has it been done before? Well H/O have definitely done it and sent through pictures of the process and end result to the dealer - however my van will be the first one they try it on locally.... :o :ambivalence:
The sales manager said the new lid has a better finish than the old one ... my initial concern was the pliable nature of it.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
What a wanker, publish his phone number here and we can all ring him and tell him about the 100% water proof canvas.

The track will be okay there flossy, as posted that's where ours was, and waterproof wise it was a 100%

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
As long as there is an air gap you won't have the water leakage issue - You will find that there is more than enough space between them.

We have the holiday annexes BEF and to be honest have not used the privacy screens yet, so you may find that you won't miss being able to use them. In saying that, you would generally use one or the other anyway as the BEF has the screened windows so no need for the privacy screens. And the other thing we like with the BEF is that it makes it darker so we tend to sleep just that bit longer more so than we would without them or with just the privacy screens.

BJ

Reactions: Flossymk1

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
What a wanker, publish his phone number here and we can all ring him and tell him about the 100% water proof canvas.

The track will be okay there flossy, as posted that's where ours was, and waterproof wise it was a 100%
Close up pic please with BEF fitted would be nice for others to see how this issue has apparently been resolved.