New Version Of VBulletin (Love it or hate it you decide!)

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi all, well the mods and I have been discussing this as we new it was coming.

So what has been in the pipe line?

Well VBulletin which is the name of the software that we use to run the forum has just released a new version of VBulletin which is a complete rewrite of the software.

Essentially since the site began we have used a version of VB4 pretty much.

This new version is now labelled VB5 Connect and as I mentioned is a complete re write so forgot what you see here today they have redone everything.

Some light reading

http://www.vbulletin.com/learn-more/

A demo of the new software

https://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/forum

Finally where to from her for us?

Good question, the release today is only a beta but an official beta to the public so I think we would be about a month of on a stable release.

I am not convinced I like the rebuild myself so will be spending a bit of time exploring the competetion as we will need to make a move at some point and its either we stick with VB and move the new version or look at another suite of software like IPB or Xenforo.

I encourage you to have a quick play with VB5 at the above mentioned demo URL as I am keen to hear first thoughts / impressions. :smile:

Just be aware its a beta so there are some bugs and if you sing up an account your doing that on vbulletins site not ours.

Cheers!

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
So am I correct in saying that the new look has the main view as just one post after the other and not grouped by thread?

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Yes and no, what you are referring to is the activity thread.

This is already available by default in VBulletin 4

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/activity.php

They are now jut making this more relevant in VBulletin 5 as a major component.

This is a forum view with all threads listed as you see on our site regularly.

http://www.vbulletin.com/vb5demo/forum/main-forum

To stir things up we are also evaluating another forum software called "Xenforo".

I have demo site up and running and you can see that located here -

http://jaycosdownunder.com/index.php

You can log in with your existing username and password and make test posts should you chose to try it out :)...

Its a hard decision VB5 has a long way to go, Xenforo looks very good it loads super quick but lacks some core features we use here like albums and galleries.

Let me know how you find the two as I am keen to gauge feedback before we make a move.

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Either one works for me. Any change/upgrade usually involves some compromises and a bit of a learning curve.
Also, not meaning to be rude, but can I help with a contribution to the costs your must be incurring? It's already been
such a valuable resource for me.

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I think vbulletin is easier to read. Xenforo seems to have larger avatars and graphics. I think it takes up more real estate that is better used for reading posts.
I am assuming Xenforo can change the font also. Vbulletin font is simpler and easier to read.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Hi guys, I am completely lost in what your discussing but i have a question that i have been wanting to ask and its site/tech based, is there any way to have the site flag automaticly when someone responds to a post you have made? i have had a few occasions where people have responded and i diddnt know and felt rude that i had not noticed.
I see that there is a tick on the thread to show you have contributed but can i get responses flagged?
Thanks

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
I have the same question, I have been trying to nut that one out from my profile, but can't seem to find away to pick up responses, I look through every one of my previous posts, may just be my lack of experience. Is there something we are missing? So if I subscribe to a thread it will let me know if there is a reply?
Thx

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Hi guys, I am completely lost in what your discussing but i have a question that i have been wanting to ask and its site/tech based, is there any way to have the site flag automaticly when someone responds to a post you have made? i have had a few occasions where people have responded and i diddnt know and felt rude that i had not noticed.
I see that there is a tick on the thread to show you have contributed but can i get responses flagged?
Thanks
Paul Just up above the first post towards the right of the Page there is thread tools , click on that then click on subscribe to this thread then it gives you a few options

Like the Layout of Xenforo dont know that no galleries or albums would be a great loss to me I do have a few photos in albums but I usually just upload to a thread .
Appreciate all the effort you put in here Expanda
Cheers

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I'm not fussed with either. I think most of it will come down to the individual settings by Mr Mod. - colours, text type, graphic sizes etc.
To me they are both functional and readable. The kicker for me is always the search function - some are absolute shockers. Both of these I used the same phrase and found what I wanted easy enough.

Good work

Antman

Jul 18, 2012
Brisbane
almcrae.blogspot.com.au
To me the look of the VB5 version is not as easy to follow in what appears to be the default activity thread view. I really like the way that the current forum shows with the complete thread view. I also really really like the NEW POSTS button. That is how I follow the threads. As a couple of others have said it would be really good if you could get an alert if someone has replied to a thread you have commented in. I know you can subscribe to a thread but this can get tedious if you are following quite a few. If there was an option that allowed an alert if someone "Quoted" something you have said I think that would be fantastic. :)

So Expanda - what do you actually do? Are you into web design or an IT guru? I have an IT background - not in web stuff but hardware / software. Im happy to help if you need any etc. :)

Cheers
Ants