New Tug with 4 kids not so easy :(

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
So as a lot of you know we are looking to see what we can get with 4 kids to replace the Disco.
So thought start a new thread for any idea's, the four I was looking at (Everest, Mux, Colorado7 and Fortuner) I do not think they actually seat the kids in them easily :(
I have not even driven one yet :) Just opened doors and measured :)

We have 3 kids in car seats and Connors a short ass so I say he be in there for a few more years even though he is 6.
At the moment we have Connor in the 3rd row, twins (4) next to each other which leaves passenger side 2nd row we can flip forward to get in the 3rd row.
If we take another adult with us its as easy as flipping up the 2nd seat in the back and away we go.
yes 3-4 years we be good no seats.. So do we get one now or wait :)

Disco has three same size seats which all flip 45cm each. All four we thinking of have 60:40 rear seats where the one in the middle is smaller. So 130cm base splits as 50-30-50. Fortuner was smaller then Everest which was smaller then C7/Mux.

The NRMA site shows three squished seats in a C7
http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring-s...raint-fitting-guide/holden-colorado7-2012.htm

We probably take all the kids later in the week and try the Mux/Colorado7. See if Luke can breathe in the middle seat.
The Everest does have 3rd row anchor points the other three do not as well. So we have to get them updated or leave Connor in a cheaper non tethered seat. Again Disco wins :(

So then the options want to spend mid 50's tops. $48k gets us a top of range MUX or C7. $33k a 4x2 Mux.
Do we go for a secondhand Cruiser, D4.
Would a Diesel late model Patrol work?
Would a Pathfinder be able to tow the 22?
Do we take the 22 to a weight bridge see how close we are to ATM of 2780.
I was going to upgrade the mini to a Territory this year although brought a 22.68 instead. Would a Territory tow the 22? Same engine as D3 diesel which tows 3.5 tonne just different chassis so you think it have the power?

Then its $35k upgrade what are we getting out of it. Saving under $3k a year on fuel.
Services are around $1300 a year on disco , C7 free for 5 years.
So thats close to $4.5k a year.
We be getting a new tug which does not cost $1-2k each time it sneezes :) Although we hitting down the bottom of what the D3 will get $ wise.. probably fall only $5k in 5 years where others we loose $20k as new..

Then you have setup $'s again, we got the Disco wired with a Readarc to cut the fridge, elec brake controller and had the Auto done.

Yes going mad now :) If it was for me a 100 series I probably get although we want something with full airbags etc etc as kids going to be in it always.

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I had a 2.5ltr Navara, and like the Navara the 2.5ltr Pathfinder would be working pretty hard load up with family and "stuff" and towing your 22; but the V6 550 Pathfinder will tow your van on its ear, with some in reserve. But your always going to struggle with the any wagons GVM and ultimately what it carry. The 550 Pathfinder is 3.5t tow capacity, but it still a 6t GCM. You probably need the GCM of a Cruiser with an added GVM upgrade to comfortably spread your goodies around .... or stick to what you know

Reactions: Drover and Bluey

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Yes we had a long chat just before.. really in some ways we go backwards getting a new tug unless we go for something 3.5t.
Which leaves Cruiser or D4.
Sarah wants a D4.. I think its just 3-5 years before we are in the same boat now with a D3 as $55k buy a 3 year old with 60k on the clock.
Cruiser Diesel be around $60k for a GX with the same k's.. So no leather etc for a GXL around $70k. Could go petrol although Diesel is one of the reason we upgrading :)

If we swapped the Mini over I be happy with a older car myself that can tow so a 2006 or whatever :) but then the problem with airbags...Most have 2 if lucky in a 2006 car.
I keep thinking trade the mini for a 4x2 Mux. Or look second hand for a C7. Cut the outlay and have two 7 seater cars. If the Disco is not towing it might not break so much :)

Last edited:

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
Our 2007 Patrol has 2 front airbags, but you will struggle getting enough anchor points for car seats if using the rear seats, I've removed our rear seats and have a draw system, as as a result I had to get some fittings installed so the car seat attaches in the very rear of the roof. I can show you on the weekend.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
Be careful with that list of cars. We are in the same boat as you.....4 kids and what to get. Depending on how often you swap cars, remember that your kids are getting bigger daily. I hate to say it, but the disco has the leg room in the 3rd row seats. (Although, it isn't what we will eventually swap to....too pricey if it breaks). We had to upgrade from our territory as the kids had no leg room. The patrol isn't too bad, but I can see the kids will grow out of that also. Our car is due for swapping next Chrissy, and we have started looking now.

Good luck.

Reactions: davemc

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Hard for dave having gone through this i struggeled with air bags to but they dont work to good with small kids so not worried about not having them in the back good luck see you soon

Reactions: davemc

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Thanks guys for me I might go a trooper cannot see Sarah driving one
Also she really wants curtain airbags you hate to have a accident and they would of done something
It really depends on the car we replace, the mini I service every 18 months and nothing goes wrong.

Fabulous

Feb 26, 2013
Melbourne
Just having a think here Dave, do airbags activate for little people, the reason I say this is, one of the reasons little people can't sit in the front seat is due to the airbag, if it goes off, it may cause more issues, also to note that with our car seat, it has high sides for head protection which means that the airbag would only stop the seat which the seat belt should do anyway?

It maybe worth investigating when how, and under what circumstances an airbag will fire, I know the Patrol passenger will not fire unless someone is in the seat, I gather you would need to be a certain weight so the car can know there was someone on the seat? Little people may not be heavy enough to activate.

It maybe worth while keeping the car you've got for the time being.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Our eldest is out of a seat and normally sits passenger side in the disco so at his height side should work well does on videos from
Airbag testing.

We have been waiting for the Fortuner to come out before we went to dealers. Was hoping it work for us

Yes maybe it will end up the D3 and hope nothing major breaks
Steering rack just cost us close to $2k

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
1393932701159492071_large.jpeg
Plenty of leg room in this...