17' Series New tug - anyone have a current series Landrover Discovery 2.7?

Wado

May 7, 2011
New England
We are due for a vehicle upgrade and amongst the options is the current 2.7ltr Land Rover Discovery. Does anyone have a current series 4 Disco and if so, what are the pros and cons? Fixed price servicing on a new Pajero or Landcruiser is an incentive, but we have a Pajero and I find it hard to justify nearly 100g before we even bolt on any accessories to a Landcruiser.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
No help on the Disco, but I do know there is a new "entry level" LC still about $70k base though.

Wado

May 7, 2011
New England
Thanks Jim. I have looked at the new poverty pack LC200, but the bride, who does the daily driver thing, wants a new ride with some fruit but not $100k worth of fruit. There are some LC200 GXL drive away no more to pay specials floating around for around $85k on the net.

busybusymum

Oct 23, 2011
Albury/Wodonga
We have also looked at the poverty version Landcruiser but does not have the extra seats in the back which you need with 4 kids - sticking with the Prado at present and perhaps oneday the 200 series - the Discovery does not have enough room for us with the 4 kids.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
plus you need to invest what ever it costs to replace that bloody snorkel head on the new poverty L/C!! WTF were they thinking!

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
If your were happy with the Pajero why not buy another (not sure of your current one) but you could go top shelve in the PJ and still have change for some bolt on's

Billrw136

Jun 20, 2011
North Rothbury
Don't have Discovery 4 but do have Discovery 3 2.7 TD - 7 years old this year - best car I have owned - only have had a couple of minor issues with it - mine has coil suspension whereas all the new ones have the air suspension. Average about 10-11 litres/100km around town. Tows our 16.49-3 OB very well. I think most of the Disco 4 have 7 seats as well.

The Discovery replaced a 3.8l petrol Pajero - if I had bought the diesel Pajero I don't think I would have bought the Disco - the petrol Pajero used way too much fuel.......

Just a few thoughts....

Cheers

Bill

jeffa32

Mar 28, 2012
Hi Wado,

We have a discovery 4 and it is wihtout doubt the best car I have owned. it is the TDV6 2.7lt model. We option up to have 7 leather seats, revesing camera (a must) , front sensors and sat nav.

We have just ordered a 17.56-1 and towing ability will not be a problem given the 3500kg capacity. Highly recommended car. We got the best deal from Rex Gorell in Geelong.

The best thing about the car is the ride quality - beats the prado and landcruiser hands down

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I'm seriously considering a new Jeep Grand Cherokee.
3.0TD V6 with 177kw, 550nm torque and 3500kg towing with 350kg ball weight.
The Overland has all the fruit plus some (except 7 seats) and retails for $77K, base model Laredo for $53K, far better than a Paj Exceed or even a GXL LC for that matter.

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Hi Jeffa
I'm also tossing up between a new LC200 or Disco 4.

Getting away from all the specs and what not, what are servicing charges like? Some say if serviced away from LR workshops, certain parts of the warranty are void (which I don't believe they can legally do) and I'm thinking if I did use one of the very few LR workshops, they'll charge like wounded bulls.

Secondly, have you every needed to use they roadside assist or get parts to remote-ish areas - the concern being lack of service centres being a pain, unlike toyota who have dealerd or service centres all over the place.

Andrew

jeffa32

Mar 28, 2012
Hi Andrew,

I negotiated free servicing for 3 years as part of the deal so can't comment on the costs but I would imagine Toyota would be cheaper.

As for the roadside - i havent had to us it yet. We consdiered the type of area we would be using the car, we dont stray far from parks. If I was doing the big tour or going seriously outback, I would probably get a Toyota. But for the 4 trips away each year which are mainly in Vic - the Land Rover is great.

Jeff

jay70

Oct 16, 2011
We have Discovery 4, 2.7. We got the D4 to replace the Discovery 3. Found both vehicles to be extremely capable and reliable.

Ours is the 7 seats but we didn't get the rear air conditioning which on really hot days if someone is in the 3rd row it can be a little warm. We had the rear A/C on previous model and didn't realise how good it was. A good investment is the active diff at only $1k more and no retro fit available its the pick of the options in my opinion

Jason W

Wado

May 7, 2011
New England
Test drove the new top spec. Jeep a few months ago and loved it. Unfortunately, they are fairly light on luggage capacity and there is still no decent aftermarket gear, particularly a good bullbar. A great vehicle but along with the Landy, dealers and service technicians are few and far between in this wide brown land and that is a big negative. For us, the nearest Land Rover dealer is more than 3.5 hours in any one direction Have opted for a XLT double cab Ranger but have to wait a few months for delivery. Lots of bells and whistles and change left over to go crazy with aftermarket gear.