new to me 2005 12 foot expanda outback

Brenton

Dec 17, 2014
once you have one you wont go back. nothing better than having a hot shower whilst camping on the beach. no point if you go to caravan parks etc but i always free camp in more remote spots so it is a must for me.

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yep. There's something self indulgent about being remote, independent and having a shower! But you do need to conserve water if you want to stay for an extended time.

Our camping is at least 90pc off grid and I've grown to hate caravan parks, except in cyclonic weather!

and our longest off grid ...power, water etc ....is three weeks....so far

Reactions: 1DayIll and Brenton

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
years ago, when Adam was a lad, and my kids were younger, all we did was free camp
the old solar shower sitting on a rock all day in the sun, for hot water for kids bath's
big 5L kettle on the fire for coffee & such, middle of the forrest - ahhhhh such was the life....................

now, however, we have not free camped for awhile, for whatever reasons at the time
friends place to camp at
no camp sites available
whatever

but the future does have some free camping on the horizon, so I will have to did out the old solar showers again, and some decent water containers

still not sold on the Gas hot water systems
lot of money tied up in something I may or may not use

maybe its just me.............?

Reactions: 1DayIll

Brenton

Dec 17, 2014
So back to the build thread, i did a little more yesterday.

had a very ordinary halogen downlight thing above the kitchen bench. woudl have sucked the power and gave out bugger all light. put a strip of 5050 warm white strip lighting above it, the little flush mounted round switch above it to the left is how you turn it on and off. works a treat.

Also rigged up my shurflo pump, just need to drop into the caravan shop and buy the twist on fittings with a 12mm barb on one end. I am just going to cut the hand pump line running from the tanks to the hand pump. insert the pump and then replace the hand pump with a mixer tap. will connect hot water line via whatever hot water system i end up installing later. be good to have pressurised water. i have an external valve tap outside the van so no need for the hand pump inside for me in case the pump ever craps itself.

So much brighter, below is in a pitch black van.

IMG_0463.jpg

IMG_0464.jpg

Dingo193

Feb 17, 2017
On the road
Hi Brenton. any chance I could get the battery wiring to setec from you..including on off switch for battery
Appreciated

Brenton

Dec 17, 2014
Hi Brenton. any chance I could get the battery wiring to setec from you..including on off switch for battery
Appreciated

hey mate, any idea how I find that? i dont have any wiring diagrams that came with the van

Dingo193

Feb 17, 2017
On the road
Hi Thnx...Just need to know to which point the setec wires that charge the battery are located ..and the power wire from the battery runs back to the setec. Does the battery switch turn the charging side on or off or the power to the setec???.. Or a couple of pics would be helpful. Thanks a lot, much appreciated

Brenton

Dec 17, 2014
Rigged up the heater last night and tested it and all working perfectly, works a treat. very happy

Brenton

Dec 17, 2014
Looks good, it is one thing i would like but cannot justify the cost. Had to take a second look though as my fridge is in this location!

Yes I picked the heater up for $550 new on gumtree someone bought it 4 months prior and did not install. 2 year transferrable warranty so couldn't pass it up. I do 100% of my camping free camping and lots on the beach so hot water is a must.

Brenton

Dec 17, 2014
Yes this would make life much easier. I would even get an outdoor shower fitted if I had one. oh well...one day!

Yes I fitted an outdoor shower and also ran hot water to the mixer tap I installed in place of the hand pump tap in the kitchen so have hot water inside and out.

Brenton

Dec 17, 2014
Well I just spent the weekend towing the van up the beach at Double Island and I must say it worked an absolute treat. Shower was a hit and the van was terrific. 3 way fridge was pretty ordinary all weekend so will keep an eye out at changing it for a 12v compressor fridge. Ive got 400w of solar on the roof so if I were to do this I would just add another battery. Running lights, water pump, sirocco fan all night the batteries were full again before 8am each day so very happy with that. Didn't get a photo of the ensuite setup but I am running a Joolca ensuite tent next to the external shower box I fitted. Worked terrific.

Jeep pulled the van up the beach with ease, camped right at the end of the camping area on top of a dune closest to freshwater. I gave my mate a fair bit of slack as the Jeep pulled the van up there then he got stuck in his 200 series 4.5 D4D V8 straight after me and was not towing hahaha. The 35" tyres probably help.

Attachments

• IMG_2461.jpeg
    IMG_2461.jpeg
    258.3 KB · Views: 425
  • IMG_2468.jpeg
    IMG_2468.jpeg
    266.5 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_2467.jpeg
    IMG_2467.jpeg
    427.1 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_2462.jpeg
    IMG_2462.jpeg
    242.4 KB · Views: 443
  • IMG_2465.jpeg
    IMG_2465.jpeg
    267.1 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_2469.jpeg
    IMG_2469.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_2470.jpeg
    IMG_2470.jpeg
    299.8 KB · Views: 466
Reactions: Dave_B and bigcol

Brenton

Dec 17, 2014
My Fiancé is pretty handy on a sewing machine and did not like the out dated interior so she has rehupolstered the seats and also changed the curtains.

Before and after photo, a little brighter.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    654.1 KB · Views: 412