16' Series New to caravans

Robophil

Nov 29, 2018
Yeppoon, QLD
Hi all, Recently purchased a 2011 expanda 16.49.1 outback after upgrading from a forward fold camper trailer. We are keen to getaway this xmas in it as we have already got a trip planned meeting family down at Merimbula. I have a couple of mods I'm keen to implement, though that will probably come after xmas when we have tested it for a few weeks. Tow vehicle is s 2016 Prado with airbags and other accessories. Will no doubt find some useful info in this forum as I'm new to Jayco and Caravans.
received_252291288801120.jpeg

Reactions: DRW

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Welcome to the group fella, you will fnd all sorts of van mods on here just have to dig around or just ask away, no dumb questions on here......................Long drive at Xmas to Merimbula from up here , don't forget to allow about 3 or 4 hrs to get thru places like Ulladulla and Batemens Bay biggest traffic jam in the world over holidays.

Reactions: Robophil

Robophil

Nov 29, 2018
Yeppoon, QLD
Welcome to the group fella, you will fnd all sorts of van mods on here just have to dig around or just ask away, no dumb questions on here......................Long drive at Xmas to Merimbula from up here , don't forget to allow about 3 or 4 hrs to get thru places like Ulladulla and Batemens Bay biggest traffic jam in the world over holidays.

Thanks for the heads up mate, we will be travelling via an inland route and heading back to the coast through Canberra so will probably miss Batemans Bay etc. We gave oursleves 3 days to get down there so hopefully find a couple of nice stops along the way.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you head down thru Canberra the Kings Way brings you out at Batemans Bay and can be a traffic nightmare over the holidays getting out onto the Princess Hwy so going down via the snowy Mtns Hwy and over Black Mtn to Bega is way better, went down it once in a semi and lost count of the bends , great bit of country and coast even though full of Victorians....lol,lol,lol.

We always travel south using the inland rural roads staying away from from the coast as it gets a bit frantic and cost heaps but if doing it express will belt down the inland highways like New England to Toowoomba, Gore Hwy to Goondi then Newell to Forbes cut across to Cowra then onto Canberra, Cooma hang a left after Nimmitabel for Bega, used to do trips like that in a few days when I was working now it can take me 3 weeks or more....................................have a good one.

Reactions: Robophil

Robophil

Nov 29, 2018
Yeppoon, QLD
Haha I know what your saying about our Victorian brethren, meeting the in laws and extended family there (all from Vic) lol. Even "the new to us" Expanda still has Vic plates on it so will probably fit right in, tho the car has QLD plates.

Your route ending up through Bega sounds pretty spot on to what we are looking at taking as we are planning on making it in 3 days. Can't wait only 10 or so days now til we hit the road..

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
With different plates carry your rego papers with you just in case they pull you over, they can attract attention.........................the problem changing rego on the van to QLD means you not only have to get a roadworthy but a gas and electrical cert as well, can be a right pain.......if you travel down the Newell Hwy inland try not to refuel at Narrabri or Coonabarrabran as they are usually a good 10c/lt more, Moree and Gilgandra are good fuel stops....

When your going down the mountains use the gears to assist with braking the van with touching the brakes as little as possible and each time you start off for the day double check the hitch and as you drive off give the van brake a test to see that they pull you up.............When you stop for walkies do a tour of your rig feel the hubs they can be warm but not hot unless youve been using the brakes a bit, the temp should be even both sides.....and most importantly before you leave home check the wheel nuts are done up, especially if its been for a service, many a wheel has fallen off and on a single axle you can't afford it, check when the wheel is cold not hot thats how studs break....don't use a Gorilla arm on the wheel brace either.

Drive with care and enjoy the run

Reactions: coneheadpaul

Robophil

Nov 29, 2018
Yeppoon, QLD
We sold our camper trailer before we bought the van and it cost us $200 in gas and road worthy certificates, didn't have to do electrical on it but it only had 12v.

Thanks for the tips definitely will take all that on board. I will be doing quick check overs when we stop, wheel bearings are always in the back of my mind because of towing boats haha...

Cheers for all the info and advice @Drover.

coneheadpaul

Feb 3, 2017
perth
Hi all, Recently purchased a 2011 expanda 16.49.1 outback after upgrading from a forward fold camper trailer. We are keen to getaway this xmas in it as we have already got a trip planned meeting family down at Merimbula. I have a couple of mods I'm keen to implement, though that will probably come after xmas when we have tested it for a few weeks. Tow vehicle is s 2016 Prado with airbags and other accessories. Will no doubt find some useful info in this forum as I'm new to Jayco and Caravans.View attachment 62311
Hi fellas, don't know if this helps, just done the wheel bearings on my 2010 expanda 16 49 3....its not an outback, but has the outback suspension due the shower toilet and twin water tanks... And the fancy plastic bush on the brake magnets. Rides on 15 inch alloy rims.
Stamped on the drum hub is alko 304.8 El.
The castellated nut is big! 1.5 inches as are the split pins 5 or 6mm across.
Inner bearing 30210,outer bearing 15123 by researching on the alko page this makes it a 2ton axle, with 2.25t bearings..

All looked lovely and regreased with aviation grade wheel bearing grease.. Very high temp.
Now carrying spares on the van too and a bunch of split pins too.
Shout out to martins trailer supplies near Perth airport 0892795777 and the lovely ladies and Tom at Joondalup caravan repairs 0892060419.
Also watch the many Vids on YouTube, also gonna carry the Mrs point n shoot laser thermometer thingy. Gave the brakes a once over too whist in there, found they were binding just slightly, so let them off one click each... Firm the big nut up to seat the bearings, back off then FINGER tight only. don't go tighter to get the pin in, and remember there's two lots of holes, if needed go a bit looser... Tight is the enemy!

All IMHO of course.... Get the spares and tooling before you get into it. Cheers cp

Reactions: Bluey

coneheadpaul

Feb 3, 2017
perth
Hi fellas, don't know if this helps, just done the wheel bearings on my 2010 expanda 16 49 3....its not an outback, but has the outback suspension due the shower toilet and twin water tanks... And the fancy plastic bush on the brake magnets. Rides on 15 inch alloy rims.
Stamped on the drum hub is alko 304.8 El.
The castellated nut is big! 1.5 inches as are the split pins 5 or 6mm across.
Inner bearing 30210,outer bearing 15123 by researching on the alko page this makes it a 2ton axle, with 2.25t bearings..

All looked lovely and regreased with aviation grade wheel bearing grease.. Very high temp.
Now carrying spares on the van too and a bunch of split pins too.
Shout out to martins trailer supplies near Perth airport 0892795777 and the lovely ladies and Tom at Joondalup caravan repairs 0892060419.
Also watch the many Vids on YouTube, also gonna carry the Mrs point n shoot laser thermometer thingy. Gave the brakes a once over too whist in there, found they were binding just slightly, so let them off one click each... Firm the big nut up to seat the bearings, back off then FINGER tight only. don't go tighter to get the pin in, and remember there's two lots of holes, if needed go a bit looser... Tight is the enemy!

All IMHO of course.... Get the spares and tooling before you get into it. Cheers cp
Also get good quality Japanese bearings one set around 60bucks, don't fall for the Repco special price, they are Chinese bearings and IMHO of inferior quality, I love Repco and am tighter than two coats of paint, but having a wheel come off in wup wup sounds expensive.. Also hard to get the jack in I imagine!?
Mine were koyo bearings and felt quality! Carry at least one spare set... Cheers.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
That's the way to go, there's a write up on here on how to do it.......might need a bump.
Best way to store the spare set us pack with grease, wrap in grease proof then vac seal the buggas, stay clean and doesn't make a mess, a pair of latex gloves in a zip lock inside with bearings also....Safer to actually pull the numbers off the bearings then buy from the bearing shop with the seals of course.
Check that the bearings are Jap or USA made a lot of shops will stock them as well as the Chinese rubbish.

coneheadpaul

Feb 3, 2017
perth
Cheers drover, yes I packed the spares,at the end of proceedings, with liberal grease, and then Ganged them together and kinda took my gloves off over them. so they ended up inside the gloves, now inside out... Popped em both in a zip lock, zipped em up.
Placed the package in another zip lock whereupon I chucked four spare split pins... Never reuse a split pin!.. Ever!
IMHO it even matters how you fit it! Bend the short end up over the axle end trim off the long end and push it towards the hub... That keeps the widest faces opposing any rotation.. Don't bend around the nut!...
It does make a difference... Split pins bend easy one way... Not the the other...
Cheers n beers cone

coneheadpaul

Feb 3, 2017
perth
Always got gloves in the toilet cassette bay.. In a zip lock bag... Maybe I should include a clothes peg...
Then again got a teenager now..... Hazmat suit!