New Shoes

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hi all, need some new shoes for the pathfinder and looking at the following

First up I really wanted to go BF Goodrich but they don't make a 255/65 R17 from what I have researched.

I wan't to use the stock tyre size on the pathfinder as I have had troubles with the current set of tyres in fitting the spare in.

Unfortunately the pathfinder does not leave alot of room in the spare well for anything bigger than the stock tyre. You can squeeze another tyre in but it is far to close to the exhaust for comfort.

So keeping in mind I want to stay within the stock size 255/65 R17 this is what I have come up with...

1) Falken wildpeak -

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_1101_falken_wildpeak_at_tires/

2) Pirelli Scorpion

http://www.actiontyres.com.au/_blog...ins_Australian_4x4_Action_Magazine_Tyre_Test/

I may be inclined to go up a tad in size but need to keep it down as much as possible to ensure I can fit the spare in the well.

Any thoughts?

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
Well I'm pretty happy with the Bridgestone 697's I fitted to the PJ last year,
My mate is running Hancook all terrains and is happy with them, not a bad price either.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Last year I had Yokahama Geolander A/T fitted, so far 5000k and all good, a bit softer but a compromise between tyre wear and grip in wet. Depends on what your doing and how much you tow, if I was going around Oz with van I'd go Coopers! Good luck with decision......very confusing!

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I currently have the Pirelli Scorpion on my Navara but have not found them to be anything special. I bought them because a 4WD magazine had them as winners in one of their comparisons but they have done close to 35,000 Km and are due for replacement soon, maybe another 10,000. They do not impress me in the wet, especially with the van on the back. I have had Bridgestone and BFG's on, and each have only turned in around 40,000Km so I too, am not sure what to go to next.

I'll be interested to hear opinions as well.

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
I currently have the Pirelli Scorpion on my Navara but have not found them to be anything special. I bought them because a 4WD magazine had them as winners in one of their comparisons but they have done close to 35,000 Km and are due for replacement soon, maybe another 10,000. They do not impress me in the wet, especially with the van on the back. I have had Bridgestone and BFG's on, and each have only turned in around 40,000Km so I too, am not sure what to go to next.

Interesting comments it sort of pushes me towards the Falkens due to cost especially.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Not sure if they do your size but my Cooper AT3's have done 30,000km and still look brand new, and i have done plenty of 4wding as well. Nothing too aggressive, but enough for me so far. i shopped around and haggled and got a good price on them.

I had BFG At's on my Patrol and several other cars at work and never quite got the milage i was hoping for. These Coopers are doing well, though next time i might go the St Maxx for a bit more of an aggressive tread.

I know someone who went up to 265's in their RX Navara (same engine as yours) and it was amazing how much power it lost, so if economy is important don't go bigger.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I think the D697s are a pretty good for what you pay. I've been very happy with the BFGs but they can cost. Although shop around, I bought 245/70-16s for the rodeo and got them for $230 ea. Expanda, in Sydney try the grey importers, Cornell tyres, stgeorge tyres and Tempe Tyres? They do great prices on BFGs and Coopers.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au

I've had 2 D22 Navaras and you've done well at 40k I couldnt get any more than 35k out of anything I had on and the Duelers that came with them only gave me 28k both times

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Well got 38K out of the original Bridgestone Duellers.
Got new BFG's from the local JAX in Bundy and she's all ready to go again.
Cheers Deano
IMG_0719.jpg

Reactions: pace9908

swifty

Mar 7, 2013
I took 697's to the Cape and back up the OTT and had 63k on them when I sold my Prado. If they did the size I was after for my 200 I'd be straight back into them. Faultless.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Fitted D697s to the new Cruza yesterday, traded the Grandtreks in with 16kms on them.

4.JPG

5.JPG

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yeah will do mate, but I have been flat out with the shed and as its school holidays all the months bandwidth has been used :p Making posting a pain especially with Pics.

DiDExceed

Nov 2, 2012
Kuluin, Queensland
I have just put on Pirelli Scorpion atrs on the PJ about 1,500km ago. The difference between them and the horrible cooper atrs is amazing, quiet and very very very sticky compared to the coopers, I was tossing up between these and the D697's, still in two minds if I made the right choice but im very happy with the Pirellis and I find the wet weather performance great - I probably push the pj a bit further than I should now lol.

Some ppl swear by coopers, I will never go near them again and I know a few others the same, horses for courses, I don't know anything about the falkens but I know the D697's are good (ive driven a few different vehciles with them, and I am happy with the Pirelli's