Starcraft New member - ORDERED Starcraft (no longer just proposed!)

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Yes, the next ~3 months certainly will be a time to reflect on my sanity - or lack thereof, whichever the case may be... What will be most frustrating for us will be the inability to get out in a van. Oh well, gives me time to upgrade the brake controller in the Patrol and dream about adventures still to come!

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Well, 1 week since we signed the order for the new van. With ~13 weeks to go until it comes off the production line, followed by another couple of weeks for shipping and dealer-fit options, this is gonna get real old real quick. My sense of humour has departed me, I have no fingernails left, and everything that happens is making me cranky. Except Daniil Kyvyat being dumped back to Torro Rosso. That made me smile ;)

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
The saving grace is that it's coming in to winter in a couple of weeks.

I would have not been able to buy floor-stock this time around, not with the specifics we wanted. Chances of finding what we ordered, colours etc would be slim to non-existent.

Our first two vans were bought from dealer stock - and it was convenient. But, frustrating as it is, will just have to wait ;)

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
I caved on a couple of things...

Added the external entertainment unit - after my son eyeballed it on the display van, he decided that we must have it. Not worth debating ;)

Also added the Jayco stone guard (as per the Silverline Outback). We wanted a basic stone guard, and prefer factory fit, so all good.

Not sure what is happening with the ATM upgrade. That will depend on what Jayco come back with. The dealer is requesting an ATM of 3500kg, but it will depend on the max rating of the axle group fitted to the chassis, and also any limitations that Jayco choose to apply. I guess we won't know about that for a little while.

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
The dealer received the "14 day warning" from Jayco yesterday. So I guess that means in 2 to 3 weeks they will be starting the chassis-build in the steel shop! Then it's off to galvanizing.

RKB

May 17, 2016
Brisbane
Congrats Doc,
What effect does the "TL" pack have on the weight. "TL" pack is the fibreglass sides is it not?

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Not sure what is happening with the ATM upgrade. That will depend on what Jayco come back with. The dealer is requesting an ATM of 3500kg, but it will depend on the max rating of the axle group fitted to the chassis, and also any limitations that Jayco choose to apply. I guess we won't know about that for a little while.

you might find to get your ATM of 3500kgs, you may need to go to the 16' wheels, as they have a greater carrying capacity

sounds like a great setup you will have

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Congrats Doc,
What effect does the "TL" pack have on the weight. "TL" pack is the fibreglass sides is it not?

Hey mate - honestly, I have no idea whatsoever. My guesstimate is in the region of 50kg weight penalty, but that is only a stab in the dark.

(Yeah, TL is the fibreglass skin and fake leather upholstery)

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
you might find to get your ATM of 3500kgs, you may need to go to the 16' wheels, as they have a greater carrying capacity

sounds like a great setup you will have

It will be interesting to see what Jayco come back with. I told the dealer that what we really wanted was and additional ~200kg (on top of the std 475kg), so that we would basically never be at risk of being in excess of ATM. 3500 was just one of those numbers I threw out there as a 'wish list' thing on the belief that compromise would be needed.

Yeah, for what we do - for our needs, travelling style etc - I think it will work really well. Will be a good van for the next 4 to 5 years, which is all we can realistically try to plan for anyway as life has a habit of making its own changes to the best laid plans of mice and men :)

Reactions: bigcol

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
As I understand it new vans don't have wheels balanced or aligned. That is my personal experience. I suggest that before you take delivery of your new van you insist the dealer has the wheels balanced and provides proof that the wheel alignment is good.

Doc

May 2, 2016
Hobart, Australia
Very exciting update this week. Our completion date has moved "forward" several days, and the van is now due out of production "by" the 2nd of August. That is apparently the completion date for the batch it is produced in, so depending on whether it is completed at the start of that batch or the end, we will either have it in our possession by the 2nd, or several days later.

The ATM upgrade we asked for might be slightly different to anything I thought previously. The axle group being fitted (which is usually the limiting factor) is 3333kg rated, so that will probably be our ATM. Wait and see... We also added the Jayco stone guard (a la Silverline Outback), a second television (for the top bunk), and an external entertainment unit.

About halfway through the waiting period now.

I recently upgraded the brake controller in the Patrol to the Hayman Reese Compact IQ (the standard 'compact' was fitted when we bought the car ex-demo). Also had some new LT rubber fitted.

The wait continues!