18' Series new member lisa

lisasjayco

Jan 5, 2016
Glenwood
Thanks for adding me. Have met Bluey at Lake Tabourie and he suggested we join this forum. We have a 2012 18.5 foot Expanda. Some issues this holiday with a leaking roof. Any members with similar problems?

SMJ x2

Apr 12, 2015
PERTH
Welcome to the forum.
While I can't help with your leaking roof I am sure someone will be along to help you out.

Reactions: lisasjayco

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
:welcome: Lisa to what i call the expanda colective a group of people who love there vans places they go and idas they have great night chating with your loverly family thanks

Reactions: lisasjayco

Meanderthals

Aka PhilD
Mar 16, 2012
Near Darwin
Welcome @lisasjayco. A number of Members, us included, have had problems with leakage around 4 seasons hatches. Ours is continuing with both of them and when last away no amount of additional silicone smeared everywhere has so far stemmed the tide. The stuff the factory used didn't bond properly with the roof surface material and/or the hatches were not installed correctly. Rather than approach our local Dealer I'm going to try again and this time remove as much as possible of the original silicone and try from there but it may require a full removal of each one and start from scratch. I need to do this very soon so that it can come out from its Wet Season hiding place and go to have a custom annexe job done.

If that is where your problem is then there's a bit of info here.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/4-seasons-vent-water-leak.7284/

lisasjayco

Jan 5, 2016
Glenwood
Welcome @lisasjayco. A number of Members, us included, have had problems with leakage around 4 seasons hatches. Ours is continuing with both of them and when last away no amount of additional silicone smeared everywhere has so far stemmed the tide. The stuff the factory used didn't bond properly with the roof surface material and/or the hatches were not installed correctly. Rather than approach our local Dealer I'm going to try again and this time remove as much as possible of the original silicone and try from there but it may require a full removal of each one and start from scratch. I need to do this very soon so that it can come out from its Wet Season hiding place and go to have a custom annexe job done.

Thanks @PhilD , our leak is coming through a seam in the ceiling towards the rear of the caravan. Not sure where it is coming in. It's always hard to tell as it could be running from somewhere else. I don't think it's coming in the roof vent.

Reactions: bigcol

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Thanks @PhilD , our leak is coming through a seam in the ceiling towards the rear of the caravan. Not sure where it is coming in. It's always hard to tell as it could be running from somewhere else. I don't think it's coming in the roof vent.

would you be able to take a photo and post it up?
would give someone like me a better grasp of just where and what is happening

peskie aint I............?

Reactions: Bluey and dagree

Colsar

May 10, 2014
Mornington Peninsula
Welcome @lisasjayco , great site enjoy ! had a leaking roof on my last Jayco. i fixed it myself, basically removed the roof top bead of old silicone that run around the perimeter about 100mm in from the edge, i noticed it was a bit yellow, cracked , dry and edges lifting a little. scraped out the old and put in the new ( white sica flex ) problem solved.

lisasjayco

Jan 5, 2016
Glenwood

Thanks @bigcol it's a bit hard to show anything. The leak was originally over my daughters bunk so we lowered the van on the other side and then it came from behind the stove exhaust as per photos. Funny thing is it stopped the next day. We're wondering if the water was somehow trapped in the ceiling cavity and eventually drained.

Attachments

• 20160104_190746_resized.jpg
    20160104_190746_resized.jpg
    859.1 KB · Views: 197

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
do you have roof top Air Con..............?
maybe the drain for that is flowing back inwards.....................

or, with the rain you have been having, it may have been from being "too level" with no where for the water to run off.........

Reactions: lisasjayco and caax

lisasjayco

Jan 5, 2016
Glenwood
do you have roof top Air Con..............?
maybe the drain for that is flowing back inwards.....................

or, with the rain you have been having, it may have been from being "too level" with no where for the water to run off.........
We haven't been using the air but could be a problem with the levels. Will check it out thanks.

Last edited: