New Landcrusier GX 200

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
I cancelled the cargo barrier install with the Toyota dealer today. Just ordered from Drifta the draw set and ½ cargo barrier, the ½ barrier installed was $690 plus the cost of the draws installed $1510 total $2200. Placed order today as they have an 8 week wait to install, with luck if Toyota delivery on time we go to Gloucester and get install at start of November.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Sold our beaut NW Pajero yesterday and now have to wait for new LC200, estimated delivery date 18 Oct.
We are using the Toyota order tracking system which is really good, suggest if you buy a Toyota and have to wait for delivery get the dealer to get you a login. The system now shows the LC200 has been built and is on the ship in transit. The tracking system also gives us the VIN and engine number, and now has a build date of Sep 2106 and a Compliance plate of Oct 2016.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
The LC200 is now in country (I really like the Toyota order tracking system) and hopefully ready to be picked up mid next week.
I have ordered the 5 x Toyo AT2 (LT285/65R17 121S) tyres for fitting next week (hopefully) and trading in the 5 OEM tyres. I will also get the Sensa tyre pressure internal monitors (Hannibal Safari) fitted at the same time, the sensors are been recycled from the Pajero with new stainless bands (very big stainless steel hose clamps) for fitting to the inside of the rim, they are the same type as the ones on the caravan and its spares.

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
An old RAAF mate from down south stopped by today to say Hi in his all singing, all dancing Cruiser, damn the V8 sounds good, he swaps them around every 3 yrs, anyway he informed me that Toyota don't have the fuel filter serviced until the dash lights up, he found that out as he started his trip, 60 odd thousand K's, always serviced by Tojo and the dash lights up with fuel filter service needed, just what you need on a trip................since he runs about 40 vehicles his Cruiser will now getting the fuel filter serviced a bit more regularly but in his workshop.

Billnjim

Dec 9, 2015
Secret Harbour
An old RAAF mate from down south stopped by today to say Hi in his all singing, all dancing Cruiser, damn the V8 sounds good, he swaps them around every 3 yrs, anyway he informed me that Toyota don't have the fuel filter serviced until the dash lights up, he found that out as he started his trip, 60 odd thousand K's, always serviced by Tojo and the dash lights up with fuel filter service needed, just what you need on a trip................since he runs about 40 vehicles his Cruiser will now getting the fuel filter serviced a bit more regularly but in his workshop.

Toyota service manager recommended every 20k km to me - either wants the extra $$ for the filter replacement as its not part of the capped price service at that frequency or he's being pro-active....at $100 odd dollars extra every year I'm telling myself it's cheap insurance although I'm still going to learn how to change the filter over and carry a spare when I eventually start going more remote with the landcruiser.

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
We're up to 82,000km in our cruiser and only 1 filter so far. Dealer who did that one said that you're generally good for a few hundred km or more once the light comes on. Remember the light comes on because the filter is finally clogging a bit more than normal not because your engine is going into catastrophic failure.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yep done mine pretty much every service my dealer charges about $85 and ontop of the cheap fixed price of $220 it's not bad. I also replace the aftermarket one because it's heap easier to do if it happens in a crap environment. The Toyota one requires a somewhat cleaner environment because it's an open cartridge.

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Thanks for the heads up on the fuel filter, the fixed price service for the first 6 services to 60K (~ end of warranty) is good value and peace of mind. However, you have already paid for fixed price servicing in the price of the new 4wd and Toyota (dealers?) will almost certainly cut costs to meet the low fixed service price. It is a shame they do not schedule a regular fuel filter change in their service schedule. I will certainly pay extra to get fuel filter changed at services, how often will depend on where we have travelled, but at a minimum 40K to 50K, would seem sensible.

The variable quality of fuel in Australia is a real problem, a friend recently got a load of bad fuel (water) in Cooma NSW and did $3K worth of damage to his 4WD. This fuel was from a large brand name service station. To cope with the risk of bad fuel I have already arranged to get a Water Watch fitted soon after I get the LC200 ($850 fitted). This device does not filter the fuel but separates water and sets off an alarm if water present. It is fitted before the Toyota OEM filter and will not significantly reduce the fuel flow. Pre filters while they can be useful can reduce fuel flow and do not stop water, most bad fuel in Australia has water present and professionally fitting a Water Watch before OEM filter should not impact on warranty. No solution is perfect, but the OEM filter is suppose to be good quality and I would not fit anything after the Toyota OEM filter as it is designed to do a job by Toyota and I would be worried about impacting on warranty. Lots of country LC200 have Water Watch fitted.

The other bit of kit I will be getting professionally fitted is a Pro Vent , which also has a filter which needs replacing at around 50K so maybe I will by default get fuel and Pro Vent filter replaced at 50K. I can replace Pro Vent filter myself, but fuel filter should be done in clean conditions and unless an emergency I will leave that to the dealer while under warranty. Though I will buy a spare Toyota OEM fuel filter to carry just in case we are stuck.

So many things to spend our $ on, with a new 4WD, but I guess that is part of the fun.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
$85 is a good price @achjimmy , while I have been lax with the Colorado regarding an extra fuel filter my other vehicles always had another filter between tank and OE fuel filter, that way the genuine, which is usually a pain to do stays in longer as the pre filter gets changed often...Colorado has 2 filters and have been going to fit a pre filter under the tray, also works out cheaper for filters usually. If you carry spare filters store them in Vac Seal Bags, keeps them dry and clean, I also store my spare greased wheel bearings vac sealed.

My version of a pro vent is a catch can stuffed with stainless steel shavings which does a good job of catching the oil, but it doesn't vent into the intake, I don't want any oily air going in to mix with the dry sooty air from the EGR which I am unable to shut down on this rig............

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
My version of a pro vent is a catch can stuffed with stainless steel shavings which does a good job of catching the oil,

the old Brilo pads - non soaped - are the best for this

brilo.jpg

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
"stainless steel shavings" or "stainless steel swirl" is far better than a Brilo Pad I thought @bigcol ????? Bunnings has them in a bag of 4 actually..

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
"stainless steel shavings" or "stainless steel swirl" is far better than a Brilo Pad I thought @bigcol ????? Bunnings has them in a bag of 4 actually..

yeah, but most would know what a Brilo pad was - stainless steel shavings, sounds like a lot of work to go get from a machine shop

also, the pads are easier to take out and clean and put back in..........

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
Picked up LC200 GX this morning. Looks great and drives well.
The mods have already started at lunch time I got 5 x Toyo AT2 fitted along with our recycled tyre pressure sensors.
Got home and fitted (not in photo) aftermarket eBay black side steps, they fitted real well, the bolts were already in the correct holes under the LC200 (The GX does not come with side steps).
IMG_0722.JPG

rags

Thanks for the heads up on the fuel filter, the fixed price service for the first 6 services to 60K (~ end of warranty) is good value and peace of mind. However, you have already paid for fixed price servicing in the price of the new 4wd and Toyota (dealers?) will almost certainly cut costs to meet the low fixed service price. It is a shame they do not schedule a regular fuel filter change in their service schedule. I will certainly pay extra to get fuel filter changed at services, how often will depend on where we have travelled, but at a minimum 40K to 50K, would seem sensible.

The variable quality of fuel in Australia is a real problem, a friend recently got a load of bad fuel (water) in Cooma NSW and did $3K worth of damage to his 4WD. This fuel was from a large brand name service station. To cope with the risk of bad fuel I have already arranged to get a Water Watch fitted soon after I get the LC200 ($850 fitted). This device does not filter the fuel but separates water and sets off an alarm if water present. It is fitted before the Toyota OEM filter and will not significantly reduce the fuel flow. Pre filters while they can be useful can reduce fuel flow and do not stop water, most bad fuel in Australia has water present and professionally fitting a Water Watch before OEM filter should not impact on warranty. No solution is perfect, but the OEM filter is suppose to be good quality and I would not fit anything after the Toyota OEM filter as it is designed to do a job by Toyota and I would be worried about impacting on warranty. Lots of country LC200 have Water Watch fitted.

The other bit of kit I will be getting professionally fitted is a Pro Vent , which also has a filter which needs replacing at around 50K so maybe I will by default get fuel and Pro Vent filter replaced at 50K. I can replace Pro Vent filter myself, but fuel filter should be done in clean conditions and unless an emergency I will leave that to the dealer while under warranty. Though I will buy a spare Toyota OEM fuel filter to carry just in case we are stuck.

So many things to spend our $ on, with a new 4WD, but I guess that is part of the fun.

Diesel care offer this accessory to there range of filters to monitor water
http://www.dieselcare.com.au/produc...es/filter-replacement-parts/water-sensor-kit/

yabbietol

Sep 2, 2014
Queanbeyan NSW
good stuff @yabbietol

has it measured up to what you remembered ordering?????
any "Jayco" type faults...........
It certainly does, very pleased so far. Did not get to see GX model when ordering, but used Barn Doors on work 4WD long time ago and had faith that they are still are really good. Barn doors will work well with draws and fridge slide, which we are getting fitted soon. Pleased with that option only on GX.
Think I will have to play with suspension, but time will tell, will get airbags for sure and thinking about Lovell springs and possibly shocks.
No problems found yet,only done 100km so far.
@rags thanks for the URL