Swan New Jayco Swan pickup

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
Pay particular attention to how to close it up, the canvas on the off side wall can foul the wiring and the sink tap. Also the sliding of the beds can pinch the canvas wall too.
Should you be getting a annexe the attaching of the walls is all sectional, so can only go on together one way. A tip from experience, texta mark the poles discretely to assist in the erection of the structure. Don't be daunted by this, really its easy.

Anyone else with info, hey @Stan53 got any tips, your experience traveller now.

Where did you get it from. Page Bros??

Reactions: Relle & Mark

Relle & Mark

Sep 15, 2014
South East Melbourne
Pay particular attention to how to close it up, the canvas on the off side wall can foul the wiring and the sink tap. Also the sliding of the beds can pinch the canvas wall too.
Should you be getting a annexe the attaching of the walls is all sectional, so can only go on together one way. A tip from experience, texta mark the poles discretely to assist in the erection of the structure. Don't be daunted by this, really its easy.

Thanks Pace most appreciated

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
I think Pace, you have about covered it. I found setting up and packing up very trying when I first got my Swift. A couple of years later and more than a few trips behind me, I wouldn't change.
On set up DO put the pipes that stretch the canvas roof over the bed before you do the velcro strips up.
Before I go away on a trip, I set up and pack up a few times. I can have kettle on in 5 minutes now.
I don't do that bag awning. I got an after market one.
Oh, you might want to enjoy the sheer pleasure of quiet camping.

Relle & Mark

Sep 15, 2014
South East Melbourne
Yeah it's funny guys you say It won't be long before there's an expanda upgrade, when we were looking at vans we loved the expanda first up but a little bit out of what we wanted spend and started to walk away & the sales guy said don't go what can we do for ya.
We said we are looking at the expanda he said have you looked at the swan.
I suppose ya gotta start somewhere stepping stone I guess.
It's like buying ya first home o_O :)
Some great hints there guys keep them coming I'm all ears :biggrin-26:

Reactions: dagree and carpanda

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
as @Pace and @Stan53 have said,
be aware of how to open and close, the sales guys do it at the shows in under 10 mins, but they are doing it all the time
make them show you up and down several times, until your happy.
as said, be aware of the off side canvas when your winding it up, I used to wind 1/2 way then check, wind the next bit until it was about 50mm off closed, then make sure all canvas was tucked away properly.
on the Flamingo (I had) on the off side is a switch to turn to power for your lights off - simple switch - incase you forget to un-plug the wiring for the roof, I broke that several times poking the canvas in.......

not sure, but you may have to ask about the Hoses etc..... sullage and water, and extension cord.... I know they dont provide them unless you ask over here....
I went and brought one of these
http://camec.com/plumbing-bathroom-gas/hoses-fillers-fittings/flat-drinking-water-hose-18m.html
awesome bit of kit, small space, nice and tidy, wouldn't have anything else..... also, cannot forget the fittings off the tap anymore, as you are winding it up.
005310_1.jpg
maybe go to Bunnings (or whatever, as I did) and buy a piece of pine plank - 50mmx250mmx1500mm, I then cut them into 250x250 blocks for putting under the feet,
IMAG0718_zps6735969b.jpg
also made 4 with holes drilled into them, but not all the way through for putting the bed fly poles into, so they dont sink into the ground.
IMAG0719_zpse6dea8c2.jpg']IMAG0719_zpse6dea8c2.jpg[/URL]
I also got a 10L water bottle (after we used it) and cut the top off, and added Cable ties to it and some plastic pipe - hey presto have a tent peg holder and rope container.... hammer and crap fits as well
IMAG0720_zps8f60c5f2.jpg
@Pace said, watch out for it, and mark them poles, and get them to put it up for you to show you how......

dont EVER feel like your wasting their time, they wont tell you what you want to know, if you dont ask them.........

also, take heaps of Piccies at your handover
1) we LOVE Piccies
2) reference for when you ahhh, what did this do.......

Good Choice,
Good Luck,
and ENJOY........

Attachments

• IMAG0720_zps8f60c5f2.jpg
    IMAG0720_zps8f60c5f2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 203
    IMAG0720_zps8f60c5f2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 230
  • IMAG0718_zps6735969b.jpg
    IMAG0718_zps6735969b.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
What Col said plus. when they do the hand over it takes 2 plus hours. And I thought "you gotta be kidding. It's just a van for crying out loud!" Now I wish it had been ten.
Now, before I ramble on. Since I got Swifty I have been to a couple of leisure and camping shows. I have looked at just about every van under the sun. Camper trailers too. Not one said "by me". After I got use to Swifty's strange ways I wouldn't change for anything. I can have the kettle on in 15 minutes, 20 tops. Takes a bit longer to pack up.
When you first get Swanny, the canvass will be stiff and hard. Set it up a couple of times. Leave it set up. Wash and get the canvass wet. Very wet. Leave it weather a while. Practise practise practise. Oh, then practise some more. Work out a system to make it easier for yourself. I have crawled all over and under Swifty. They put switches in strange place. Weird actually. Like the 240 volt switch for the fridge. In Swifty it is located under a seat.
I think I mentioned the bed canvass.
I ditched the jokey wheel supplied. Got me a fancy ratchet type to help me move it round without busting some muscles that I haven't got although I think I might have.
But the best is to wait till you get it home and set it up for yourself. Oh, and dont rush into modifications. No, I did not rush and I am now glad I didn't.
I notice your in SE Melbourne. So am I. I'm happy to help wher I can and happy to give you my mobile number if you want.

Relle & Mark

Sep 15, 2014
South East Melbourne
as @Pace and @Stan53 have said,
be aware of how to open and close, the sales guys do it at the shows in under 10 mins, but they are doing it all the time
make them show you up and down several times, until your happy.
as said, be aware of the off side canvas when your winding it up, I used to wind 1/2 way then check, wind the next bit until it was about 50mm off closed, then make sure all canvas was tucked away properly.
on the Flamingo (I had) on the off side is a switch to turn to power for your lights off - simple switch - incase you forget to un-plug the wiring for the roof, I broke that several times poking the canvas in.......

not sure, but you may have to ask about the Hoses etc..... sullage and water, and extension cord.... I know they dont provide them unless you ask over here....
I went and brought one of these
http://camec.com/plumbing-bathroom-gas/hoses-fillers-fittings/flat-drinking-water-hose-18m.html
awesome bit of kit, small space, nice and tidy, wouldn't have anything else..... also, cannot forget the fittings off the tap anymore, as you are winding it up.
View attachment 26093
maybe go to Bunnings (or whatever, as I did) and buy a piece of pine plank - 50mmx250mmx1500mm, I then cut them into 250x250 blocks for putting under the feet,
IMAG0718_zps6735969b.jpg
also made 4 with holes drilled into them, but not all the way through for putting the bed fly poles into, so they dont sink into the ground.
IMAG0719_zpse6dea8c2.jpg']IMAG0719_zpse6dea8c2.jpg[/URL]
I also got a 10L water bottle (after we used it) and cut the top off, and added Cable ties to it and some plastic pipe - hey presto have a tent peg holder and rope container.... hammer and crap fits as well
IMAG0720_zps8f60c5f2.jpg
@Pace said, watch out for it, and mark them poles, and get them to put it up for you to show you how......
dont EVER feel like your wasting their time, they wont tell you what you want to know, if you dont ask them.........
also, take heaps of Piccies at your handover
1) we LOVE Piccies
2) reference for when you ahhh, what did this do.......
Good Choice,
Good Luck,
and ENJOY........
Some fabulous tips there bigcol & some great ideas, also that water container is a cracker of an idea Hmmm now I know what to do with one in my garage :) i feel a trip to bunnings is on the cards.

Attachments

IMAG0720_zps8f60c5f2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 210
  • IMAG0718_zps6735969b.jpg
    IMAG0718_zps6735969b.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 196
    IMAG0720_zps8f60c5f2.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 219

Relle & Mark

Sep 15, 2014
South East Melbourne
I think Pace, you have about covered it. I found setting up and packing up very trying when I first got my Swift. A couple of years later and more than a few trips behind me, I wouldn't change.
On set up DO put the pipes that stretch the canvas roof over the bed before you do the velcro strips up.
Before I go away on a trip, I set up and pack up a few times. I can have kettle on in 5 minutes now.
I don't do that bag awning. I got an after market one.
Oh, you might want to enjoy the sheer pleasure of quiet camping.
Im sorry stan53 i did'nt answer your question where we purchased the van bayswater jayco

Relle & Mark

Sep 15, 2014
South East Melbourne

Bayswater jayco

Stan53

May 27, 2012
Melbourne, Victoria
Just thought to add this if you jump on you tube there are some excellent videos on how to set up you camper. There is an excellent one done by Prestige Jayco. There is another one done complete with flys and bag awning. Both are worth looking at.

Tucker

May 4, 2016
Geelong, Victoria
Yeah it's funny guys you say It won't be long before there's an expanda upgrade, when we were looking at vans we loved the expanda first up but a little bit out of what we wanted spend and started to walk away & the sales guy said don't go what can we do for ya.
We said we are looking at the expanda he said have you looked at the swan.
I suppose ya gotta start somewhere stepping stone I guess.
It's like buying ya first home o_O :)
Some great hints there guys keep them coming I'm all ears :biggrin-26:
We had our swan 3 months before we ordered a new expanda just something to thinks about
Cheers