Solar new generation solar panels

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
hi everyone, just reading up on new generation solar panels,does anyone have any experience or opinion between NORMAL GLASS PANELS versus SOLAR BLANKETS versus SUPER LIGHT WEIGHT NON GLASS PANELS, i have left flexible panels out of the mix because of high failure rates , this exercise will be for portable non fixed panels 200w to 300w range thanks in advance

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I thought solar blankets were a pool cover for winter to keep water warm.

jazzeddie1234

May 19, 2016
Mandurah
I have returned to all glass solar from several failed and/or severely glazed flexible panels and my old glass portable set are still working well at 8 years ish. The lightweight design looks interesting but use the same surface coat as flexible so (only in my uninformed opinion) they may be subject to severe glazing if left permanently exposed - however they may be a great option for portable given they get stored away when not in use?

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
the light weight and being able to fold them away looks good to me , i think they may be good for extra power boost when needed ,but not long term sun exposure, so until they perfect the materials maybe old school is best

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I did have a small panel for a trickle battery charge once but after a year in the sun the surface which wasn't glass but a silicon or poly Carbonite went cloudy,the 2 small glass ones have been out in the sun since probably 2003, still working well.

Reactions: poor but proud

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Ive got 3 x blankets, all cheaper end of the market and proof for that if your lucky, great performing cheapies can be found among garbage on offer. The Super Cheap Ridge rider 150w outputs its rated capacity and in a side by side matched the retired Jayco factory 150w framed panel. The Kings 200w also outputs its expected capacity. The Kings folds up small is quite lightweight. Im not a Kings fan, for me its like Aldi special buy junk for camping, but for the money the Kings blanket is the winner.

I use a Victron reg to test them

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
hi everyone, just reading up on new generation solar panels,does anyone have any experience or opinion between NORMAL GLASS PANELS versus SOLAR BLANKETS versus SUPER LIGHT WEIGHT NON GLASS PANELS, i have left flexible panels out of the mix because of high failure rates , this exercise will be for portable non fixed panels 200w to 300w range thanks in advance
After a lot of looking around this is what I settled for, I have added a atem 200 watt solar blanket to my solar farm,I settled on the blanket as it is more portable than hard panels and easy to store in transit ,but I took on board the issue of security so I have added sail track slugs ,now I can mount them a little more securely (nothing will stop a determined thief but this will stop the fold and run) I will look at adding better cloth loops as they are pretty flimsy,being portable I can set them up as far as 10 meters from the van house battery
The new house battery in the van is an ATEM 135amp AGM very cost effective and delivered to my door within 4 days
The new tug batteries are SUPER START 85 amp ,mr70d marine deep cycle batteries also cost effective and double the warranty of the other suppliers free delivery within 4 days

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 206
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    59.1 KB · Views: 236
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
After a lot of looking around this is what I settled for, I have added a atem 200 watt solar blanket to my solar farm,I settled on the blanket as it is more portable than hard panels and easy to store in transit ,but I took on board the issue of security so I have added sail track slugs ,now I can mount them a little more securely (nothing will stop a determined thief but this will stop the fold and run) I will look at adding better cloth loops as they are pretty flimsy,being portable I can set them up as far as 10 meters from the van house battery
The new house battery in the van is an ATEM 135amp AGM very cost effective and delivered to my door within 4 days
The new tug batteries are SUPER START 85 amp ,mr70d marine deep cycle batteries also cost effective and double the warranty of the other suppliers free delivery within 4 days

@poor but proud, I have been watching the details of your Atem 135Ah AGM battery on Ebay. It looks good so would be happy to hear how yours goes as my 120ah AGM is now 8 years old and may need replacing in the near future, although still charges up to 13.0 volts and holds there for many days without any drop in voltage - no load. Clever use of security and layout for your lightweight folding panel too. I think that both Atem products are built for (or distributed by) Sunyee which has a very good name for solar products too. Still going to hang onto my solid glass panels for the time being even though they are heavy, because still not convinced about longevity of folding types.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
Ive got 3 x blankets, all cheaper end of the market and proof for that if your lucky, great performing cheapies can be found among garbage on offer. The Super Cheap Ridge rider 150w outputs its rated capacity and in a side by side matched the retired Jayco factory 150w framed panel. The Kings 200w also outputs its expected capacity. The Kings folds up small is quite lightweight. Im not a Kings fan, for me its like Aldi special buy junk for camping, but for the money the Kings blanket is the winner.

I also have the 200W Kings mat. Threw the standard regulator into the garage. Put on a Victron MPPT. The van also has a Victron MPPT on the van and the Victron Battery sense on the battery. You connect the 3 into a "Virtual network" so the 2 regulators work together and not against each other.

Should the mat get damaged I buy a new mat and re-use the regulator.

@poor but proud - to your original question. I think it matters less about the panel and more about the regulator you pair it to. Panels are all much of a muchness between cheapies and top of the range (of course top of the range will be better, but worth the extra $$$)???

Reactions: Boots in Action

1DayIll

Apr 26, 2016
South Morang, Victoria

So are you actually saying the Kings ones are OK or not?

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi @Macca_75 , I have to agree with you on your last paragraph to @poor but proud, that it is the type/quality of the controller (MPPT vs PWM) that is more important overall. As you said, there is not much difference in the output of most solar panels, although efficiency of solar cells may have a bearing sometimes - 17% verses claimed 24% which may have a cost premium! Another important spec to look at is output voltage under load (Max Power Voltage) as this is the extra voltage that a MPPT controller can convert to extra AMPS. Not so important with a PWM controller.
My 3 solid glass folding panels are rated at 18.0v, 18.2v and 18.4v. When connected in SERIES , my MPPT controller regularly shows panel voltage of more than 57 volts when float charging battery under light loads thanks to the Schottky diodes replacing the standard silicon types. So every little bit of gain certainly helps.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
So are you actually saying the Kings ones are OK or not?
I think the Kings mat is pretty good (I have the 200W model) but the standard regulator is crap and really lets it down. Replace the regulator (expect to pay near the price of the mat for a good regulator).

But when/if the mat is damaged, you move the regulator to any other mat/panel you buy.

Reactions: 1DayIll

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
OK thanks, Just really want them just in case and my son wants some for when he goes camping to charge the battery for his fridge
Just really consider throwing the regulator away and buy a quality MPPT one (I'm a Victron fanboy, but there are others around). Make sure you can connect and set optimal values for bulk, Absorption and Float.

MPPT (vs. the cheaper PWM) will increase your output by converting excessive voltage into Amperage (a PWM simply discards this extra energy)

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
you guys are very are a wealth of info, but there are times when i do not have a clue what you are talking about,the pauses in my posts are when i have to go and look up what you are referring to,but it all makes sense in the end. before i started this little talk i had never heard of ATEM--VICTRON--SHOTTKY DIAODES--VIRTUAL NETWORK, now with all this new infomation i feel totally eduficated. who said caravans led to a simple existance ?

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hang in there @poor but proud ! We are all learning and updating our knowledge all the time as technology moves on at a rapid pace. Glad you are gaining more information to help you get the most out of your van's equipment by looking up everything you don't understand.
Just remember - "only a fool thinks he knows everything"!

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
@poor but proud - here is what I did in a nutshell

Bought one of these (as they were the cheapest at the time). I have the 200W model with the PWM controller

1617055363348.png

I made new Anderson leads but you could unscrew them from here and re-use them in a few steps from now.

Throw away this bit (keep the leads if you need them)

1617055146768.png

Buy one of these

1617055179128.png

* Make sure you get the SmartSolar model has it has Bluetooth built in. The BlueSolar model does NOT
** The 75 denotes 75v input from the panel (more than enough for 1 solar mat) - the number after the / is the number of Amps it can output. I would suggest the 75/15 as the 75/10 will be running flat out on a 200w blanket)

Attach the Anderson leads you either kept or made new to the Victron controller.

Connect the unit, follow instructions in the manual and open the app on your phone.

Configure the controller to match your batteries values (also don't forget to set the type of battery in there)

1617055471074.png

And thats it.

When you want to get more fancy, buy another Victron MPPT controller (I went the 100/20 so I could hook more panels up) and replace the unit in the van.

Throw away this

1617055587338.png

And replace it with the new Victron MPPT regulator. Setup the specs to match the battery again.

Grab one of these and attach it to the battery

1617055657193.png

Get the slightly more expensive blue model - it has better Bluetooth range than the black one and will reach your solar mat no matter where you lay it in the sun.

Then follow the manual and configure the battery sense and MPPT regulators into a network - see

This will prevent to portable mat and roof mounted panels "fighting" each other.