16' Series New Expanda Owner with a couple of questions

spanner

May 8, 2012
G'day to everyone, We have just purchased a 2009 expanda outback 16.49-2. And we are absolutely rapted with it and carnt wait to take the 4 kids for a trip.I was looking for some help with a few things i couldnt find in the forums.

Is it advisable to give the fridge a run every once in a while (on gas/12/240) or are they ok to leave for extended periods.

With the caravan battery i was told as soon as i plugged the 240 into the caravan it charged the battery - same thing is it advisable to charge once in a while or run a light to use battery.

and finally with the new digital tv's how do you go with them using 12 and 240 or do you have to purchase a special one for caravans.

Note - As this is my first post i hope i have done it correctly

With Thanks
Spanner

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Hey Spanner, welcome to the forum. You will find a wealth of info on here. As for those questions, I might leave the experts in the field to answer them.
We bought a Kinezo 12 volt/240 volt 24 inch TV off eBay for $150 delivered. Works great on 12 volt.
Your post looks fine too.
Cheers Deano

Reactions: spanner

ElectricGuru

Sep 5, 2011
SE Brisbane
Hey Spanner, welcome to the forum. Good choice with the 16.49-2, great van with the bunks. We have 4 kids too and it works out really well with the sleeping arrangements.

Yes mate, give the fridge a run for a couple of days every once in a while just to make sure that everything is working ok. Would hate to get out to a remote site and find there is an issue with the fridge on gas. I try to get the fridge going a week out so if there are any issues, I have a chance to get it fixed instead of cancelling the trip.

The SETEC power supply should charge the battery if you are on 240 V power no problems. Best way to keep the battery at the best capacity is to float charge it even if it not being used. Using the battery is fine but don't let it get down too far. Does the van have a battery monitor that you can keep an eye on the volts?

If the TV is 12 Vdc then no problems. Most of the new ones have a 240 Vac / 12 Vdc adapter. You can buy the 12 Vdc leads ready made from Jaycar (not Jayco), just look at the link here.

Cheers! :)

Bushman

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Wollondilly Shire NSW
I have one of those 12v leads from Jaycar, always run my TV on 12v now and have just upgraded to a digital only 15" to do away with the set top box which was only 240 and a pain in the butt

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
I now run everything through my inverter, except the micro and A/C, which is hard wired and has an outlet near the vans power inlet . I simply plug a lead outside into both and run the van like normal . Works great for us