New Dual Cab Utes

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Well i'm in the market for a new auto dual cab for work and play. There is some great deals out there at the moment. Struggling to decide so hoping for some feedback from others on the forum. Especially when it come to towing.

I'm considering the new ST Navara (replacing the ST-X this month and a few grand cheaper, 450nm engine), and the GLR Triton.

I'm also pretty keen on the new 3.2L Ranger, but there is a huge price difference between them and the ugly sister BT-50. The povo pack XT BT-50 comes with more standard features than any other ute that i can see, including factory rear diff lockers:whoo:

Any feedback to help me out would be appreciated.

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
Our cars are due for replacement soon and I think I have nearly looked at everything out there.
Dual cab wise I do like the Navara, they look good, drive well and are comfortable but the STX is a bit popular up here so not so cheap and ST is not young child friendly. Havent looked at latest model yet.
I did like the Ranger, auto everything which is what we are used to but to long for our garage and I still cant justify mid 50's for one.
Mazda BT50 is just plain ugly so I wont evan stop at Mazda ( I had a look at one in a car park just to confirm they are ugly first hand).
Triton has good warranty, is tried and proven and also has some good features but again I think they are ugly, just don't like the rounded tray, which is a pity as they are well priced at the moment.
I did love driving the Amorak but no blue tooth and no radio controls on the steering wheel which means you have to look at the radio to make changes and if you wear polarised glasses (which I do) then the screen is blank. Also found first a mongrel but would get used to that, oh and to tall for my garage, they are bloody big. 2012 model will fix most of my gripes outside I still wont be able to get it in my garage oh and the fact that I had so much hassles getting our Audi fixed under warranty that I am not a fan of the VW group, plus serving and maintenace is difficult outside a VW mechanic.
Colorado and Dmax are the only 2 that will fit in my garage without removing any shelving but they are very basic although I have seen them at $36k in brisbane so they are cheap enough to throw some money at and pimp them a bit, although both are due for replacement this year...I guess I will be watching this thread as well as your 14.44 thread now.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I agree the bt-50 is ugly as sin, but throw on a bull bar and I can get used to it. Low to mid $40k for xt auto is hard to go past, especially with 5 star safety rating and every traction and safety feature I can think of (I like the sound if the trailer sway control too) and diff lockers.

The new ST Navara is identical to the current STX but single cd instead of 6 stacker and color coded mirrors instead of chrome. The STX name will only be on the 550 models for the new range. If only the RX had the more powerful engine, I'm a bit of a povo pack fan, rubber mats and all that.

Not much of a fan of paying thousands more just for chrome bits and carpet, plus I want to customize my next ride a bit. More often than not the povo pack misses out on the powerful engine and/or safety features. It's hard to find a ute to tick all the boxes.

Previously had a LX Colorado for work, it was pretty good, but they are pretty outdated these days. Want more torque!

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I seem to be the only one in Australia who doesn't think the BT50 is completely butt ugly - but only on the proviso it has he bull bar/boss pack (ie the blue ute with the black bar and black wheels in all the advertising).

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I seem to be the only one in Australia who doesn't think the BT50 is completely butt ugly - but only on the proviso it has he bull bar/boss pack (ie the blue ute with the black bar and black wheels in all the advertising).

Agreed looks good with that pack. Turns out its not a pack at all though, I asked Mazda how much for the boss adventure pack as advertised on the website, they just totaled up all the options, no savings or anything as a "pack" normally would indicate:doh:

cancan

Sep 26, 2011
Manly; Brisbane
The bull bar may fix the front but the tail lights look like cats eyes.....interior is nice. XT auto here are mid 40's plus.
What I liked about the amorak is it was likedriving a car, did not drive like a commercial or handle like a commercial. The auto version is Due this year so holding out to try that
Unless the wife manages to get her Range Rover whilst I have a moment of weekness, then I'm screwed, which is a bit like the cricket the moment.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
Went from D22 Navara to Ranger 12 months ago because of Price but new Ranger is ridiculously expensive (Dearer than a Hilux) but loaded with features and power

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
I agree the bt-50 is ugly as sin, but throw on a bull bar and I can get used to it. Low to mid $40k for xt auto is hard to go past, especially with 5 star safety rating and every traction and safety feature I can think of (I like the sound if the trailer sway control too) and diff lockers.

The new ST Navara is identical to the current STX but single cd instead of 6 stacker and color coded mirrors instead of chrome. The STX name will only be on the 550 models for the new range. If only the RX had the more powerful engine, I'm a bit of a povo pack fan, rubber mats and all that.

Not much of a fan of paying thousands more just for chrome bits and carpet, plus I want to customize my next ride a bit. More often than not the povo pack misses out on the powerful engine and/or safety features. It's hard to find a ute to tick all the boxes.

Previously had a LX Colorado for work, it was pretty good, but they are pretty outdated these days. Want more torque!

The differences between the ST and the ST-X are more than that and far from identical... The STX has the 450 nm motor as the ST only has the 403NM motor. Plus the STX gets the nicer dash controls, climate control, Bluetooth, new front design (bigger bumper and fresher look), 17 inch alloy wheels, stability control, and the folding rear seats. BTW The ST does has a 6 CD player. I have the 450nm Pathfinder and the extra power of the 450nm motor is well worth the extra coin. It tows great. Also the Nav even 6 years old still looks better than the new BTugly50.
When people say put a bull bar to make it look good. I think of the old saying "you can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig"

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
The differences between the ST and the ST-X are more than that and far from identical... The STX has the 450 nm motor as the ST only has the 403NM motor. Plus the STX gets the nicer dash controls, climate control, Bluetooth, new front design (bigger bumper and fresher look), 17 inch alloy wheels, stability control, and the folding rear seats. BTW The ST does has a 6 CD player. I have the 450nm Pathfinder and the extra power of the 450nm motor is well worth the extra coin. It tows great. Also the Nav even 6 years old still looks better than the new BTugly50.
When people say put a bull bar to make it look good. I think of the old saying "you can put lipstick on a pig, but it is still a pig"

Yeah i get ya, mutton dressed as lamb:lol:

I am loving everyones input, thanks.

Stuart, your experience with your 450NM Pathy has me seriously considering the D40 Nav. You are actually wrong though on the new 12MY ST Navara, which will be at dealers in the next few weeks. The Nissan website isn't up to date yet, but all the dealers have the new brochure and all the things like 17inch alloys bigger bumper, leather steering, wheel, stability control and more importantly the 450NM engine are now in the ST. I have seen them in the flesh too as i live near Port Kembla where they come the NSW by boat, so i get to see all the new models when hey hit our shores. They are identical in looks from the outside to the outgoing ST-X except the chrome mirrors and there is an "X" missing from the badge. And from the inside they lose the 6 stacker. They also come from Spain where as the current/previous ST came from Thailand.

The Narava and Hilux do have the runs on the board compared to the newer ones. I can't find anything on towing with the Ranger/ BT twins.

I like the Amorak but a bit pricey and no auto yet. Plus i can't get my head around a tiny 2L engine towing caravans. As the sticker says - Only milk and juice should come in 2L. Though smaller engines are now in most models, Triton, Navara, Amorak etc.

Keeps the comments coming people:wave:

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Yeah i get ya, mutton dressed as lamb:lol:

I am loving everyones input, thanks.

Stuart, your experience with your 450NM Pathy has me seriously considering the D40 Nav. You are actually wrong though on the new 12MY ST Navara, which will be at dealers in the next few weeks. The Nissan website isn't up to date yet, but all the dealers have the new brochure and all the things like 17inch alloys bigger bumper, leather steering, wheel, stability control and more importantly the 450NM engine are now in the ST. I have seen them in the flesh too as i live near Port Kembla where they come the NSW by boat, so i get to see all the new models when hey hit our shores. They are identical in looks from the outside to the outgoing ST-X except the chrome mirrors and there is an "X" missing from the badge. And from the inside they lose the 6 stacker. They also come from Spain where as the current/previous ST came from Thailand.

The Narava and Hilux do have the runs on the board compared to the newer ones. I can't find anything on towing with the Ranger/ BT twins.

I like the Amorak but a bit pricey and no auto yet. Plus i can't get my head around a tiny 2L engine towing caravans. As the sticker says - Only milk and juice should come in 2L. Though smaller engines are now in most models, Triton, Navara, Amorak etc.

Keeps the comments coming people:wave:

Fair enough. So you are saying the ST will have the 450nm. The 450 motor standard would be a good thing for Navara. I knew they where upgrading the D40 with more safety features to compete with the BTugly and Ranger. This will give them a 4 star rating like the Pathy...

Spain isnt the best move. I dont think the Spanish build quality is as good as the thai... Our Pathy is put together pretty good, but could be better in a few areas. Mainly to do with dash rattles. Must admit though it doesnt rattle as bad as our 05 Patrol did in the body...

If you come out of your Patrol in to the 450 Nav or Pathy. You will be pleasantly suprised and pleased. The Patrol feels like a slug compared with the Pathy. I dragged a Patrol from the lights with our Expanda on (no complaints please :boxing:) and he was up his Patrol and we left him for dead. He wasnt even towing anything...

Would never buy a V Dub or anything prestige. High servicing costs, poor reliablity, poor resale. Where do you stop :lol:

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Thanks for the feedback mate!

Well this weekend i had fun and test drove the latest 450nm ST Navara and BT-50 back to back (and then again:smokin:). I have narrowed my choice to these two cars mainly for the long list of standard features and price. Airbags everywhere and traction control etc. Nissan think the new ST Navara will get 4 star safety, while the BT already has 5 stars there.

Both bloody good cars. On paper the BT has a bit more torque and lower in the rev range, but in reality the Navara felt more torquey, cant put my finger on why it felt that way. Possibly would feel different under load.

The back seats of the Navara was more versatile with the lift up 60/40 split seats and 3 anchor points. But there is no adjustability on the drivers seat, no lumbar, tilt or height adjustment. Pretty comfy as they are though.

Whereas the front seats in the BT were fantastic but the rear seats were not as versatile.

Reality is both cars are fantastic. I honestly can't decide:violin:
A pretty good dilemma to have though:smokin:

bully66672

Jun 30, 2011
Melbourne
My employer was nice enough to let me pick the ute I wanted.
I have driven most twin cabs and decided on the Dmax.
I found this to be the most comfortable for me.
Delivery is in a couple of weeks.
Only problem I have is 4 kids and the handbrake don't all fit in a twin cab.
I,ll have to leave the handbrake home.

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Its all too hard mate!

Feel deeply in love with my Patrol again in the High Country:(

But based on my research so far, the BT-50 is best value for money hands down. Just waiting on the ARB deluxe bar to come out (which i have been told will be released in a few weeks).

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Its all too hard mate!

Feel deeply in love with my Patrol again in the High Country:(

But based on my research so far, the BT-50 is best value for money hands down. Just waiting on the ARB deluxe bar to come out (which i have been told will be released in a few weeks).

Hehe, you need a bull bar to cover the butt ugly front... Why not go the Ranger. Has a better ride than the Mazda and looks a hell of a lot better... Plus it may be slightly more expensive, but when you break it down to features and the discounts ford will do the Ranger is better value...

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Hehe, you need a bull bar to cover the butt ugly front... Why not go the Ranger. Has a better ride than the Mazda and looks a hell of a lot better... Plus it may be slightly more expensive, but when you break it down to features and the discounts ford will do the Ranger is better value...

I have to disagree. I've been shopping around a fair bit and there are a few reasons that i am in favor of the BT over the Ranger and others:
- I can get a brand new XT BT-50(povo pac) Auto with towbar, tint and snorkel thrown in for $5k less than the cheapest XL Ranger (also povo pac) Auto. Plus the Ranger doesn't come with diff locks ($500 extra) and no tint or towbar snorkel, all extra cost. Ford dealers are not doing deals as they don't have the stock from the Thailand floods still. Where as Mazda are not selling as well and are offering huge discounts.
- Plus there is a 3 month wait on the Rangers, only 4 weeks on the BT,
- The dash on the BT is far more suitable to installation of UHF and brake controllers IMHO. There is a nice big gap under the air conditioner controls that the Ranger doesn't have for some reason.
- That $5000 saving in theory would pay for new AT's, ARB Bullbar, Old Man Emu Suspension (lift plus improved ride) plus a few more items.

And at the end of the day i'm starting to like the look of them. A bit like the 150 prado, thought they were ugly too but now i kind of like them:smokin:

But then again my boxy Patrol is pretty damn sexy still.....................

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
I have to disagree. I've been shopping around a fair bit and there are a few reasons that i am in favor of the BT over the Ranger and others:
- I can get a brand new XT BT-50(povo pac) Auto with towbar, tint and snorkel thrown in for $5k less than the cheapest XL Ranger (also povo pac) Auto. Plus the Ranger doesn't come with diff locks ($500 extra) and no tint or towbar snorkel, all extra cost. Ford dealers are not doing deals as they don't have the stock from the Thailand floods still. Where as Mazda are not selling as well and are offering huge discounts.
- Plus there is a 3 month wait on the Rangers, only 4 weeks on the BT,
- The dash on the BT is far more suitable to installation of UHF and brake controllers IMHO. There is a nice big gap under the air conditioner controls that the Ranger doesn't have for some reason.
- That $5000 saving in theory would pay for new AT's, ARB Bullbar, Old Man Emu Suspension (lift plus improved ride) plus a few more items.

And at the end of the day i'm starting to like the look of them. A bit like the 150 prado, thought they were ugly too but now i kind of like them:smokin:

But then again my boxy Patrol is pretty damn sexy still.....................

The only thing I agree there is Yes the Patrol is still dam sexy :smile: Shop around, I look after a lot of car dealers in my job and I am going on feedback about the pricing as this is what the dealers have told me...

I also spoke to a Nissan dealer yesterday and he told me the series 8 Patrol has rear diff lock and stability control... MMM temping :)