16' Series New Carefree Awning with LED strip light

Mar 6, 2013
Wantirna, Vic
Hi peeps

As some of you would have read @S&P's thread on Tuesday night ... "Carefree Awning and Strong Winds Don't Mix", I faced the same demise on that very day in Ararat ... with the disastrous outcome of an insurance claim through Youi. My awning is being replaced, together with the smashed side window and boning in the roof skirt.

My question is:

Is the Carefree Awning with LED strip light worth the extra dollars? ADP Caravan Repairs (Kilsyth South, Vic) are carrying out the repairs as Bayswater Jayco were booked out until February next year. I have a 20008HL 16.49.3.

ADP told me that there has been one issue that they have heard of, where the awning was rolled up, with the LED light left on ... the consequence being ... the LED lights burned a whole in the awning. What are your thoughts? Are they good? Are they mickey mouse?

Will keep you posted on how Youi performs ... to date could not fault them at all ... I'm very impressed!

Pac1977

Feb 19, 2012
I have just taken delivery of a new van with the led strip,in the awning. All I can say is the light it produces is amazing and far exceeds anything I was able produce with the old can. Jayco were very careful to mention that the light must be off and there is a warning sticker next to the main door of the van when rolled up.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I have the strip light on my awning, and it's fantastic. I'd say it's well worth the extra as it lights up the entire area under the awning.

I noticed at a show recently that there was a warning sticker next to the light switch on all the Jayco's telling you to make sure the awning is out before turning on the light.

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
I have the strip light on my awning, and it's fantastic. I'd say it's well worth the extra as it lights up the entire area under the awning.

I noticed at a show recently that there was a warning sticker next to the light switch on all the Jayco's telling you to make sure the awning is out before turning on the light.
mine leaks where it joins to the van over the window and over the door first service on Monday they will have to fix this leaks quite a lot too

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
mine leaks where it joins to the van over the window and over the door first service on Monday they will have to fix this leaks quite a lot too
mine to @Bluey we took it in with the long list be a few weeks before we get the van back they are busy. I gather they did not silicone it on the sail track which joins to the van.. Funny as everything else covered in silicone :)
We lost a few LED's in two places on awning arm, seems a problem with early batch so hopefully what they replace it with will last.

The LED's are pretty sweet lights set everything up on the weekend, was very nice we tested it with the annex was great

Last edited:

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Agree with all the above... If you can get an awning with the LED's "Go for it!!!!!!"
Ours got called "The Party Lights" by the neighbours first time we used them.

The sticker must be something reasonably new as ours doesn't have one but I'd say it's a good idea. (As a reminder)

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
I'm almost wishing our awning failed so we can get one! If I can be so bold to ask, what was the price difference between the two?

navmatt

Jan 20, 2014
Ayr/Glenden Nth Qld
Definetly go the leds, best part of being outside i reckon.... lights up well and evenly. No sticker on mine also, though I dont think the led's would generate enough heat to burn even when wrapped up. Though stranger things have happened

Reactions: Delano and dagree

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
I wish the LED in the awning was available when we got ours -

still haven't worked up the courage to attempt to not stuff up doing my own yet.............

Reactions: dagree

Delano

Apr 27, 2014
North west Melbourne
Hi peeps

As some of you would have read @S&P's thread on Tuesday night ... "Carefree Awning and Strong Winds Don't Mix", I faced the same demise on that very day in Ararat ... with the disastrous outcome of an insurance claim through Youi. My awning is being replaced, together with the smashed side window and boning in the roof skirt.

My question is:

Is the Carefree Awning with LED strip light worth the extra dollars? ADP Caravan Repairs (Kilsyth South, Vic) are carrying out the repairs as Bayswater Jayco were booked out until February next year. I have a 20008HL 16.49.3.

ADP told me that there has been one issue that they have heard of, where the awning was rolled up, with the LED light left on ... the consequence being ... the LED lights burned a whole in the awning. What are your thoughts? Are they good? Are they mickey mouse?

Will keep you posted on how Youi performs ... to date could not fault them at all ... I'm very impressed!

Smergen

Jun 8, 2014
Bacchus Marsh
@Smergen ... was told an extra $50 for the awning with the LED light and about $150 for fitting wires, switch etc.

So $200 all up? Sounds like money for jam if you ask me based on the reviews people have. I'm with @bigcol... I'd love one, but I really don't want to muck around with the awning trying to get it work. Now... just need some shady type from Melton to "take care" of my existing awning for insurance purposes... Maybe @mfexpanda has some mates...

Reactions: Delano

Delano

Apr 27, 2014
North west Melbourne
Go the LEDs our new 16-49-4 has them , up at Lake Hume on the weekend everyone commented how good they looked. Ours has the warning sticker as well. For $200 bucks you won't regret it.

Reactions: dagree

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
mine to @Bluey we took it in with the long list be a few weeks before we get the van back they are busy. I gather they did not silicone it on the sail track which joins to the van.. Funny as everything else covered in silicone :)
We lost a few LED's in two places on awning arm, seems a problem with early batch so hopefully what they replace it with will last.

The LED's are pretty sweet lights set everything up on the weekend, was very nice we tested it with the annex was great

Ours leaks to we noticed it at the weekend

BigSkiddy

May 7, 2013
Bargo NSW
G'day @Four_Happy_Campers,

As other have said the lights are worth it, but if I were you I'd do it myself by following these steps.
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/led-strip-awning-barrel-light-install.5744/

The beauty of this setup, it is remote control, dimmable and costs you $23, providing you have a soldering iron. If you don't it might cost you $10 extra to by the soldering iron from a discount store.

Just check that the new awning has the recess for the light to fit into.

Another option is come to Bargo NSW with your van with the parts plus a bottle of red wine and I'll fit it.

Keen to know how Youi treat you as I have them as my insurer also. Way cheaper than CIL.

Reactions: Delano