New caravan options and design questions

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Starcraft is good nice having a island bed.. We where close to getting a new Crusader. Lotus and Retreat out of our price range.
One thing while your looking around checkout how much bench space there is some 20-21 vans really do not offer much space apart from sink and stove. One thing the 22 Starcraft is really good on. We got a nice price on the 22 and it was floor stock so happy.
Had most of what I would of added if I spec'd it myself, drop down jacks, 3rd water tank, entertainment box, step, underslung, 12v on bunks and colour was good as well :) We added bike rack and Solar before pickup. Although would of liked larger wheels and tri fold table. I hate the dinette table Sarah does not mind it :)
Look to do wheels soonish.
Need to add a 12v on my bed side. Have a slide out pantry I need to finish putting in as well :)
Yes was nice to get away in the van. seems huge compared to 17 inside also seems wider inside although not :) Not that I think it is comparing plans.

The Compressor fridge I was 50-50 on. The fridge is not the price worry, its the extra $'s on batteries and solar. I know some people have put in domestic compressor Samsung's and run off a inverter so always 12v. The price difference they say covers some way to batteries and solar, as you mentioned the new lithium batteries as well although pricey.. Depends on how much free camping.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
do you want one Prado friendly? Our 22 not being a outback comes in under 2800 ATM just like to really weigh it soon.
What options do you want. Queen island bed, Washing Machine, Large boot, oven, Ensuite vs combo seperate room for kids.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
our van has 3 tanks.. I checked my ball weight yesterday it was close to 300kg.
Might travel with front tank empty only fill if free camping.
Depending on kid setup etc the Kokoda Battalion and New Age Mantra can come in under 2500 ATM.

I still have a lot of searches setup from when I looked a double bunk makes things easier.
Finding floor stock wont be to hard maybe :(
You probably seen these..
This JB not bad layout ATM just under 2500 so Prado friendly.
http://www.caravancampingsales.com....or Sale])&State=[Queensland])&pso=0&pss=~Year

2015 Starcraft outback
http://www.caravancampingsales.com....or Sale])&State=[Queensland])&pso=0&pss=~Year

Reactions: Holden_man

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
@Holden_man the 175ltr Waeco drawer about 5.5 amps, and it would likely be cycling maybe upwards of 30% of the time in warmish temps. On those roughie figures with a 10% buffer, an average day would require an input of 50amps per day minimum without anything else feeding off the batteries. With solar you'd require the ability to replace that 50amps in a peak sun period in ideal conditions over a about 4 to 5 hours max.

We considered the compressor fridge and stuck with the 3 way and use an 40 ltr Engel for day to day use in hot weather.

Last edited:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Not much help with the fridge. But I've been wondering since we got our van why manufacturers don't put retractable water hoses and power cords on them.
A very wise man once told me you should not use extensions lead all coiled up, because it creates a transformer effect with the lead. I sure there's a sparky who can confirm that

Last edited:
Reactions: dagree and davemc

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
also one thing the 22 Starcraft has a section no stove or sink. Although I do like the Lotus :)
Caravans_22.68-1.png

Reactions: Holden_man

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
A very wise man once told me you should not use extensions lead all curled out, because it creates a transformer effect with the lead. I sure there's a sparky who can confirm that

Yep I agrees. Never use it curled up but surely it's easier to put away if it just rolls back into it's little hidey hole without the need to grab a reel or bundle it by hand and store in a messy heap in the boot?

Reactions: Crusty181

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
A very wise man once told me you should not use extensions lead all coiled up, because it creates a transformer effect with the lead. I sure there's a sparky who can confirm that
That was @chartrock ..... and he's just had another b'day, so he's getting wiser by the day ;)

(I think he used that as a diversion whilst he pinched stuff from my annex)

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Yes and I keep thinking I need a shorter 15amp lead for some places.. Seeing the 22 has power in the middle I do not need the extra 2-3 meters as I did before :)
Also you should never run audio and power leads bundled together. Causes hum.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
That was @chartrock ..... and he's just had another b'day, so he's getting wiser by the day ;)

(I think he used that as a diversion whilst he pinched stuff from my annex)
I'm not sure what I nicked from your van @Crusty181 or when as I have never (yet) encountered you in the real world. And I know your diesel heater is still there. :p

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
I'm not sure what I nicked from your van @Crusty181 or when as I have never (yet) encountered you in the real world. And I know your diesel heater is still there. :p
Main Beach, Xmas 2014 :doh: .... too many birthdays maybe. I thought i made more of an impression than i obviously did :sorrow:

I knew i should have sang you a song ..... Princess Crusty said dont do the song Crusty, not everyone appreciates your "special" voice. I didnt do the song but i knew i should have. You would have remember the song. Everyone says theyll never forget it when i sing

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Main Beach, Xmas 2014 :doh: .... too many birthdays maybe. I thought i made more of an impression than i obviously did :sorrow:

I knew i should have sang you a song ..... Princess Crusty said dont do the song Crusty, not everyone appreciates your "special" voice. I didnt do the song but i knew i should have. You would have remember the song. Everyone says theyll never forget it when i sing

Maybe you should have sung a song, I might have remembered. :listening_headphones: Did you make me a coffee? If you didn't, I would have remembered you.:tea:
I have checked and I did drop down there to meet up with you and I apologise for my lack of memory. Old age is crap but it is better than the alternative. :devilish:

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Maybe you should have sung a song, I might have remembered. :listening_headphones: Did you make me a coffee? If you didn't, I would have remembered you.:tea:
I have checked and I did drop down there to meet up with you and I apologise for my lack of memory. Old age is crap but it is better than the alternative. :devilish:
I did make you a coffee, and you said it was the best coffee you'd ever had .... ever .... and you insisted that the $100, sorry $200 I charged you was more than reasonable. You mentioned you would fix me up for that on Oct 6th, 2015 ..... wow, what a coicidence, thats tomorrow ;)

I have checked and I did drop down there to meet up with you ..........
PS What did you check .... am i mentioned on a naughty list

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Is the cheque in the mail?

Along with the cd of the singing?

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I did make you a coffee, and you said it was the best coffee you'd ever had .... ever .... and you insisted that the $100, sorry $200 I charged you was more than reasonable. You mentioned you would fix me up for that on Oct 6th, 2015 ..... wow, what a coicidence, thats tomorrow ;)

PS What did you check .... am i mentioned on a naughty list
That is a coincidence, especially since tomorrow never comes. :p And my list of "naughties" is not for you to view. :eyebrows: I have to have some secrets.

Reactions: dagree

TTBRIDGE

Mar 12, 2013
Brisbane - Northside (North Lakes)
Go McHitch. The think i like about the McHitch is there is less work to do with the jockey wheel. Let me explain...

The McHitch,
You pull up and need to unhook. Typically you tow relatively level. So you set your jockey wheel and take the weight, then drive off. You are pretty much done other than a fine tune in most camp sites. When reconnecting, again you are pretty much at the right level (they will take a bit of misalignment), back your car up (using reversing camera) you can line it up and back straight on. remove jockey wheel job done.

DO35 - I wanted one until i saw the other used.
This one, you stop. Wind the jockey wheel a loonnnnngggggg way up once you take into account of the suspension unloading and the height of the pin and clearance. Then drive off, then you have to wind all the way down again. Then we reconnecting, you wind all the way up. The pin is actually quite hard to line up, you need to be pretty precise particularly if you are on a slope and have the wheels chocked or the brake on. They cast a shadow, so also harder to see the reversing camera. Then you have to wind it on. They are certainly harder to connect than the other option.

I think the McHitch is less moving parts as well. But this is just my 2c worth.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth

quite correct

if you leave the "excess" cable still rolled up, it creates a minor magnetic field
that does 1 of 2 things
1) disrupts the actual power phase - puts more load on the single phase that feeds the Van
2) damages the cable - decreases usable life of said cable

this was told to me by an electronics engineer umptine million years ago in an unknown universe, the first time we went camping, and I had just left the excess cable rolled up at the foot of the power pole.......

I only remember, because I was young at the time, and he was going off like a nutter, and I was trying to decide if anyone would see if I hit him with the shovel that was in my hand

then it turned out he was to be my future Father in law...................................