New bumper for spare wheel

Glen Bundesen

Jan 12, 2014
Perth WA
OK - just fitted the new bumper after getting it powder coated.
Moved the number plate and patched the light into the tail light loom.
Just pull the pin and the tyre folds down.
Bike rack will only be on the bumper when taking a bike away. It took has a pin to keep it stable.
Thanks everyone for the idea...

Attachments

• IMG_0589.JPG
    IMG_0589.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 766
  • IMG_0590.JPG
    IMG_0590.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 615

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Bringing this thread back to life with one question ???????

To do this mod do I really need to get rid of the round bumper and replace it with a RHS job ??? Just thinking of the extra cutting and stuff.

Since I put my grey water tank on I killed my tyre under the back mod as it would hang me up.

Marv_mart

Jan 3, 2014
Adelaide
How do you empty your grey water tank and keep it from being smelly and accumulating 'stuff'?
Just wandering.

millers

Mar 25, 2011
Adelaide
On the previous caravan I had a HR style tow hitch added to the back of the van for a bike carrier. This was done by one of the tow bar places. Initially they did not want to do it as the bounce that occurs will break the bike carrier. So I would suggest that you do need the extra strength. My concern with this is that there is a lot of movement in the back of a van, and the mass of the spare is amplified by being on the back.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@millers , I was thinking that the wheel would probably stress out the pipe too much, I have some 100x50 which I will turn into a snazy bar and knock up one like chartrock has done, just wanted to get out of the extra work. Have built a couple of spare tyre carriers over the years, no failures to date. Have seen some bike carriers and they can get some flex.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
I have my camera mounted on the spare wheel carrier and it still provides a clear picture with little or no vibration. I use the camera continuously while towing for the view it gives me right behind the van.

Reactions: blacky and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Thats sold me then, hopefully I can get it done before next Thursday but then I want to put shelves in the wardrobe as well as convert the tyre rack to a basket and I really only have 4 days to do it all, oh well August then.

Narkle

Aug 9, 2016
South Yunderup
I finally finished making the new bumper out of 100 x 50 mm RHS for our Expanda and fitted a drop down assembly for the spare wheel. Quite happy with the results.
View attachment 19565 View attachment 19566 View attachment 19567 View attachment 19568 View attachment 19569
Mounted on top is my reverse camera while the number plate and light are moved to the right of the bar.

Hi, rear bumber looks great, I see you used 100x50 RHS, what wall thickness was the RHS? I dont know how heavy to go in the steel to carry the spare wheel, some bikes and maybe a toolbox with a small generator.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
G'day @Narkle and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I cant answer your question as it was over 2 years ago that I made it and I have since sold the van. A member on here @Axl bought it but I don't think he can tell as I welded the ends closed as well. I can check the thickness of the bar on my Journey tomorrow which is the same 100 X 50.and made by Jayco.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hi, rear bumber looks great, I see you used 100x50 RHS, what wall thickness was the RHS? I dont know how heavy to go in the steel to carry the spare wheel, some bikes and maybe a toolbox with a small generator.

You'll waddle with all that on the rear!

:welcome:

Reactions: Drover and dagree

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014

Welcome @Narkle. As @Dobbie mentioned with that amount of weight on the rear you run the risk of not having enough ball weight and the van could start to sway and an exaggeration would be a massive fishtail sending you out of control. Something to thing about.

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Hi @Narkle as promised, I checked the wall thickness of my Journey bumper and it measures 3.27 mm but it is galvanised so I would think it is 3 mm wall. I hope this helps but as others have said, it would appear to be a lot of weight you plan to hang on the back which will greatly affect the balance and consequently, the handling of the van.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Reckon the stock square bumper would be strong enough to hold spare wheel?
Square or rectangular? ;)

Our 100 x 50 bumper (And others I know) have had the spare wheel added to the rear bar and, so far 8-), they are all still attached.

Reactions: DWWood