Electrical New batteries needed... Any tips

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@Colin&Sue go the hard wire to anderson plug for you solar, far more reliable. Should really only charge from one or the other not both. I've added an anderson to my van at the back and one on the solar cable thru a 30amp fuse, its also a handy 12v outlet for my compressor. I have a dislike for those alligator clips, ineffecient and easy to short out.

@cruza driver , if your tub has only a tonneau cover then stick the battery in one of those plastic battery boxes and all should be good if you had a canopy then it wouldn't be good, could get a bit stinky on a hot day and the vapours can burn/corrode things with the right conditions. Should always keep a good eye on lead acid jobs.

Reactions: Colsar

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
Cheers @Drover I actually have a genuine Mazda metal battery box in the tub for the battery but just need a battery as I usually just pinch the one out if the van when I need it :)

The box is part of the dual battery set up.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you have to get a new battery go the AGM saves so much hassle. I was only thinking I wish I had more room in the van stowage as I would put my battery in it's big box and just slot it into the van with a single plug in then it would be good for grabbing it when needed without any ginning around, make it plug an play.

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
The other option would be get one as the second battery in the tub of the BT but have heard stories of them detoriating tonneau covers over time, is this correct?

:tea: Cruza
If only that was true, that would mean the tubs are well sealed..... Drive down a gravel road for 10min and see how much dust gets sucked in the back, that will ease your mind.

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
If only that was true, that would mean the tubs are well sealed..... Drive down a gravel road for 10min and see how much dust gets sucked in the back, that will ease your mind.
Done plenty of dirt road km's but not when you seal the tailgate ;) just trying a few different options :)

Last edited:

Simon

Dec 28, 2013
Melbourne
Wow, interesting thread which got me thinking about what type of battery Jayco installed in my van? It's in a black box under the dinette seat - no vents that I could tell. Can anyone shed any light on what they use as standard?

Reactions: yabbietol

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
@scottbec,

There are plenty of different batteries to choose from and I am sure you will choose the ones that suite your situation.

Don't forget that the iPad and phone chargers typical draw 2.1Amp, and if left in once the device is charged, still draw a small current.

As has been pointed out, the big issue is that you have to make sure that you are not drawing down too far on your batteries, so as to maintain their longevity.

The key is also going to be able to replenish them with your solar power.

At the moment, you have 2 x 80W panels. Assuming 100% efficiency, they are 80W, 12v, 4.5Amps.

It is now a matter of working the maths backwards to work out how far you can draw your batteries down with the solar panels you have, or to get bigger ones.

Assuming 80% solar panel efficiency, 4 hours charge time per day, that would give you 2 panels x 4.5amps x 4 hours X 80% Efficiency = 29AMPS.

Based on this maths, you can use 29AMP hours per day if you want your batteries to be replenished each day. If you have more sun, then this can be extended.

The other key thing form a battery sizing perspective, is that for optimal battery life, do not draw the battery below 80% of the battery's AH rating. If you are using 100AH batteries, then you should as a guide, not use more than 20AmpHours per day. If you have 2 x 100AH batteries, use 40AHs per day. Some deep cycle batteries can be drawn down regularly to 60% of capacity with little impact to their life, but this is manufacturer and battery type dependant. Refer to the manufacturer's technical specifications.

At the end of the day, if is also how much power you can put back into the batteries.

2 x 80W over 4 hours @ 80% efficiency = 29AH recharge per day
2 x 80W over 6 hours @ 80% efficiency = 43AH recharge per day

1 x 250W (@13.8Amp) over 4 hours @ 80% efficiency = 44AH recharge per day
1 x 250W over 6 hours @ 80% efficiency = 66AH recharge per day

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Cheers,

Rohan

Last edited:

scottbec

Dec 4, 2011
Albany, WA
Thanks Rohan, that info was very handy.

Fortunately I still have a few months before the next free-camping adventure, so I can rely on being plugged in till then.

Cheers,

Scott

@scottbec,

There are plenty of different batteries to choose from and I am sure you will choose the ones that suite your situation.

Don't forget that the iPad and phone chargers typical draw 2.1Amp, and if left in once the device is charged, still draw a small current.

As has been pointed out, the big issue is that you have to make sure that you are not drawing down too far on your batteries, so as to maintain their longevity.

The key is also going to be able to replenish them with your solar power.

At the moment, you have 2 x 80W panels. Assuming 100% efficiency, they are 80W, 12v, 4.5Amps.

It is now a matter of working the maths backwards to work out how far you can draw your batteries down with the solar panels you have, or to get bigger ones.

Assuming 80% solar panel efficiency, 4 hours charge time per day, that would give you 2 panels x 4.5amps x 4 hours X 80% Efficiency = 29AMPS.

Based on this maths, you can use 29AMP hours per day if you want your batteries to be replenished each day. If you have more sun, then this can be extended.

The other key thing form a battery sizing perspective, is that for optimal battery life, do not draw the battery below 80% of the battery's AH rating. If you are using 100AH batteries, then you should as a guide, not use more than 20AmpHours per day. If you have 2 x 100AH batteries, use 40AHs per day. Some deep cycle batteries can be drawn down regularly to 60% of capacity with little impact to their life, but this is manufacturer and battery type dependant. Refer to the manufacturer's technical specifications.

At the end of the day, if is also how much power you can put back into the batteries.

2 x 80W over 4 hours @ 80% efficiency = 29AH recharge per day
2 x 80W over 6 hours @ 80% efficiency = 43AH recharge per day

1 x 250W (@13.8Amp) over 4 hours @ 80% efficiency = 44AH recharge per day
1 x 250W over 6 hours @ 80% efficiency = 66AH recharge per day

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Cheers,

Rohan