New Age Road Owl ordered.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I'm surprised that it doesn't come with the plate .....also at the prices they charge for a bit of flat with some holes punched in it.

Last edited:

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
@17triton this is the plate I ordered. It turned up a the day after the kit turned up.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Eberspa...684491?hash=item43d0ab1f8b:g:op8AAOSwdW9aIUhA

I agree @Drover for what it is, the plate is expensive and I think it should be a standard inclusion. When I ordered the first one through heatso they had a option of wall or floor mount so maybe they don’t include one in case you want the other type but I think most people would be using the floor mount anyway so would be nice to just have it as part of the kit.

Reactions: 17triton and Drover

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Van hopefully only a couple of weeks away now but it's home was finished yesterday! Door has 3.4m clearance so should be able to slide just about any van in there if we change our mind again in the future.

Need to do a little landscaping to finish it off now.

20180516_154513.jpg
20180517_135651.jpg

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Wish I’d made my shed higher now knowing what I know ! Good luck with it all

Reactions: JT76

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
Nice shed :clap2: Salesman told me when we were building a shed few years ago to spend extra money on a higher shed just in case we end up buying a boat or caravan. I said nah mate that’s never going to happen. Well we have both and stuck with this dilemma :(

Reactions: JT76

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Yeah happy with the height. Size changed many times starting with three door 12x 9 with three taller doors and ended up going 7w x 9l with a 5 meter single door. In the small print it says actually door height may be smaller then listed so went a little higher to compensate. In the end it’s exactly 3.4 clearance height ( no loss) so pretty happy. Actually happy with the smaller footprint too believe it or not. Fits in the corner without taking up too much room.and will be cheaper to fill up then a bigger one would be!

Reactions: G Daddy

Maximage

Jan 6, 2017
Perth
only problem now is the stupid BM Pro, works okay but the monitor shows false readings and no one can get it to work properly, says battery will die in 10 mins but has full charge

@Drover Having a BMPro in our Expanda, the problem may actually be that you have wired solar directly to battery. Reading the manual, the unit actually keeps track of all the charge going in and power draw out to calculate how much battery remains. Going direct to battery throws this out as it doesn't know about the extra power going in. 2 ways it should go in is either via the solar panels regulator and into the auxiliary on the BMPro, or directly into the solar input on the BMPro, depending on the exact model he has. For instance, we have a 150 panel on our roof, and a 200 folding panel, and as they are both 18 volts, I have them both feeding into the solar input plugs on our BMPro as it has its own regulator built in. If they were different voltages, I would feed in the folding panel via a regulator and just into the Aux power in.

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
Picked up our new van on Friday. Looks pretty flash. Saturday after owning it for almost a full day I took to it with a hole saw and jigsaw and started the diesel heater install. After a few interruptions finished the install yesterday arvo and have piping hot air on tap. Had a bit of a scare when it didn’t fire after a few attempts and noticed the fuel wasn’t making its way to the heater, realised my fuel pickup was far to big and after another hour of mods with a smaller pickup it fired up straight away. After taking around 6 hours to fit the first one to our first van 2 years back I thought I’d throw this one in , in half the time, around 8 hours of work later I realised I was slower second time around??

Spent today extending the water tank breathers and packing the van with the “essentials” and our first trip to test everything is working will be a quick 8000km lap from home to the outback via SA, NT, QLD and back to NSW. Very first week is 100% free camping so taking a bit of a risk that everything works but as we leave in less then 2 weeks we have no time to have a short test run anywhere.

Few more little mods between now and when we leave and then we are off! Will post pics as soon as we leave.

Eddii

Jun 28, 2017
Burua Central QLD 4680
I just installed a Diesel heater as well and going for a 5-6 week adventure in NT starting this Saturday, majority free camping :o, so yeah deep end as well:oops:. I wonder how many of us have done something silly like this to spice up our holidays:biggrin-new:. It's not called adventure for nothing:bounce:

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
Only pic I have from pick up at dealer on Friday. Looks bigger from this angle! Few more mods then off we go. View attachment 60764

Looks good @JT76 We are due for ours in about a month or so and looking forward to picking it up. If you have a chance, would like to see where you have mounted the diesel heater, if you could post some pics, would be ace. Thanks

JT76

Jan 24, 2016
Central Coast
@greynt I can get some shots for you. I mounted it in the hatch just to the left of the entry door. The vent comes out next to the drop door which gives access to under the bed and points straight down the guts towards the bunks in the rear. Happy with the location as it will heat the entire van from there and it’s clear of everything from underneath. Fuel tank sits in the opposite hatch on the other side.

I will get some photos soon which will help.

Reactions: greynt

greynt

Dec 15, 2012
Yarra Valley
@greynt I can get some shots for you. I mounted it in the hatch just to the left of the entry door. The vent comes out next to the drop door which gives access to under the bed and points straight down the guts towards the bunks in the rear. Happy with the location as it will heat the entire van from there and it’s clear of everything from underneath. Fuel tank sits in the opposite hatch on the other side.

I will get some photos soon which will help.

Thanks, that would be great.