20' Series New 20:64-1 OB Jockey Wheel height problem (Trailamate or Boss)

Derm

Oct 18, 2015
Mornington Peninsula
Evening,
Our new OB is here and to level the van I have had some difficulty getting it high enough to clear the Cruiser when I uncouple it. Has anyone had this experience and if so can you suggest a possible solution.
Sick of carrying some sleeper blocks to put the jockey wheel on.

Cheers,
Derm

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I have a trail-a-mate on ours and haven't needed to use any (extra) blocks when hooking/unhooking and same goes when parking our van on the front lawn which slopes downhill. Another thing I like about it compared to the wind up jockey wheel is Mrs Dagree can use it without complaining!

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
This may not help but.......we went through the same with the expanda. The jockey wheel didn't have enough range and drove us batty so we checked both the trailermate and boss alternatives.

We'd settled on the trailermate for the new van, put the order in through the dealer and he promptly forgot all about it so we realised we'd better order ourselves ....deferred that till this trip and found the Alco jockey wheel supplied with the van to have absolutely no problems.

It has a far better range so we're now happy.....and we saved some $$$$.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Evening,
Our new OB is here and to level the van I have had some difficulty getting it high enough to clear the Cruiser when I uncouple it. Has anyone had this experience and if so can you suggest a possible solution.
Sick of carrying some sleeper blocks to put the jockey wheel on.

Cheers,
Derm
I had exactly the same problem with my 21.64-1 and our 100 series.

I looked at a few different jockey wheels, but none had sufficient lift.

I picked up a trailermate and it works perfectly, with enough lift to stop needing to use blocks and resetting every time.

It's also easier to use than a standard jockey wheel.

I'm still trying to work out how I can fit the jacking points to the chassis so I can use it as a jack.

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
I just throw a block of (thick) wood under the wheel. I use the same block when at a park to stop the wheel sinking into the ground so it's always with the van anyway.

Hubble80

Nov 22, 2012
Moranbah, QLD
I am looking into a new jockey wheel as I hate the Alko one. Not strong enough and too short to lift the Starcraft off the 200. Torn between the BOS and the TrailAMate. I have heard the TrailAMate has issues with blowing seals, where you won't have that issue with a BOS.

I'd really like some more opinions on the BOS.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
That must be a different model from the Alko we were supplied with.

Ours is longer, much stronger and far more solid than the one we got with our Jayco....and this van is not a Jayco.

As said, I always thought jockey wheels were all pretty much the same but I now know it's not the case.

but I do like both the trailermate and the boss

Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I just throw a block of (thick) wood under the wheel. I use the same block when at a park to stop the wheel sinking into the ground so it's always with the van anyway.
It's not the block of wood that's is issue. In my case I needed to wind the jockey wheel up as high as possible, including a block of wood under it, then put car stands under the draw bar, remove the jockey wheel, put another block under it and wind up again.

Going down was the reverse procedure, was a real PITA.

Since swapping to the trailamate, all of that nonsense has gone, and it's all done in 1 operation. 1000% easier.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
I'm still trying to work out how I can fit the jacking points to the chassis so I can use it as a jack.
Had our local caravan repair guy have a look at fitting them to our Outback..... Unfortunately there weren't any suitable location to weld them to :(

In saying that I don't intend needing them!! (Now I've probably jinxed myself :oops: )

Reactions: bigcol

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Had our local caravan repair guy have a look at fitting them to our Outback..... Unfortunately there weren't any suitable location to weld them to :(

In saying that I don't intend needing them!! (Now I've probably jinxed myself :oops: )
Yep my guy said the same thing.

I'd still like to come up with some way of using it

Reactions: dagree

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Had the same problem but gave up on it. As the Journey has the new J-tech suspension it was easier to replace the the jayco jack with a bottle jack to use under each axle. I still use the trailamate instead of the jockey wheel.

Attachments

• DSC_2588.JPG
    DSC_2588.JPG
    919.6 KB · Views: 329

Derm

Oct 18, 2015
Mornington Peninsula
This may not help but.......we went through the same with the expanda. The jockey wheel didn't have enough range and drove us batty so we checked both the trailermate and boss alternatives.

We'd settled on the trailermate for the new van, put the order in through the dealer and he promptly forgot all about it so we realised we'd better order ourselves ....deferred that till this trip and found the Alco jockey wheel supplied with the van to have absolutely no problems.

It has a far better range so we're now happy.....and we saved some $$$$.

Thanks Dobbie,
I think part of the issue is the height of the towball on the cruiser, it will get better when I get the new Hayman Reese hitch as I will get a different drop shank that will lower the towball as the van is sitting slightly high when I have the bars on and the van can be awkward to get off as the jockey wheel can reach its maximum height.
Cheers,
Derm

Derm

Oct 18, 2015
Mornington Peninsula

Hi Macca,
That is what I have been using with the old expanda and now on the new one, 2 x 100mm offcuts from sleepers. I just hate carrying them around now.
Cheers,
Derm

Derm

Oct 18, 2015
Mornington Peninsula
It's not the block of wood that's is issue. In my case I needed to wind the jockey wheel up as high as possible, including a block of wood under it, then put car stands under the draw bar, remove the jockey wheel, put another block under it and wind up again.

Going down was the reverse procedure, was a real PITA.

Since swapping to the trailamate, all of that nonsense has gone, and it's all done in 1 operation. 1000% easier.

Hi Bellbirdweb,
This is my issue too, haven't had to get a jack out but with the extra length with the new van and extended draw bar I think I might have the same issue we like to stay at bush parks where the sites are not always level. We have only been away once and the site was not far off being level but had problems getting the van off as I could only just get the van up high enough to get it off the towbar.
Cheers,
Derm

Reactions: Bellbirdweb

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Yep. You need it sorted and to be right before you venture out again.

Nothing worse than struggling to get the van on or off the tow ball.....we still carry blocks as we've always done, and haven't had to use them at all this trip....but we'll continue to carry them just to be sure.

but I will say, the Alko jockey wheel has impressed us, even though we're hankering for a trailamate.....and their hitch is good as well, with great articulation. We've set up about 18 times so far with this combination and in very different conditions and sure yet to have a problem, unlike past trips.

(Not pushing Alko, just reporting on our favourable surprise at how good they are!)

KECL

Aug 16, 2016
Secret Harbour WA
I bought a new Alko for my old van, however I noticed the new jockey wheel (not of the brand of the old jockey wheel) only had two ridges for the jockey wheel clamp. My old wheel had three ridges on the wheel stem giving you a good choice of different heights. The middle ridge gave a good combination of lower height and top height. My tug is a Prado though which is probably lower height than the 200 series. Not sure why all jockey wheels do not have three height options though.

Chippy 79

Apr 5, 2017
Lower Mountains
I am looking into a new jockey wheel as I hate the Alko one. Not strong enough and too short to lift the Starcraft off the 200. Torn between the BOS and the TrailAMate. I have heard the TrailAMate has issues with blowing seals, where you won't have that issue with a BOS.

I'd really like some more opinions on the BOS.
Hi has anyone checked out the Kojack?