Journey New 17.55.8 OB extras/accessories, recommendations.

BaxnRach

Apr 5, 2013
Cobram Vic
Hi guys,
We've sold the Discovery 17.55.5 and ordered a Journey 17.55.8 OB with a few extras, including an extra water tank, (3, for free camping), picnic table, bike racks, drifter control panel, awning walls, and an extended A frame.
Is there anything else some of you more experienced vanners recommend we have fitted from the factory?
Thanks.
Paul & Rachael.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Hi.
Depending on your free camping time, I'd look at battery capacity and solar as it's then included in the plated weights.

Eg extra battery ...go for AGM if possible and 150 solar ...x 2?...

Also ESC I think is a necessity...expensive but definately worth the money.

Other things to consider? number and placement of 240v and 12v sockets, tv antenna fitted at factory?

It's all money but some items are easier to get done from factory as well as the weight factor.

:welcome:

BaxnRach

Apr 5, 2013
Cobram Vic
Thanks for the welcome and reply, being an outback journey solar is standard, as is the antenna and external 12v and tv point, 240 socket's I think are pretty right as is. 12v ones are something I was contemplating, but wasn't sure where/ if we needed them, so I'll install any extras myself when/if I work out where we might need them.
I had 2 batteries and no solar in our old van that lasted plenty long enough, so hopefully 1 battery and solar will be right too.
We considered esc but our old van towed perfectly and the new one is very similar in weight and size so here's hoping it'll tow the same.
Seems I'm on the right track as all your suggestions were on the mark.
Thanks again.

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
No probs.

I would really consider ESC above most other items on the list. Don't want to be a party pooper but it is an investment in safety.

We were a bit iffy about it but have been very very impressed with the increased stability it gives. No BDouble wind effects at all.

And no, I'm not a shareholder....wish I was as I think that technology will be the norm from now on.

BaxnRach

Apr 5, 2013
Cobram Vic
Thanks, opinions are appreciated I'll do some research on this, do you know how esc reacts with trailer sway control that's standard on my Everest or Ranger by any chance?
Edit, research done on the AL-KO website,
Trailers sway on the vehicle and esc on the van is a goer, contrary to what I've read elsewhere.

Last edited:

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Thanks, opinions are appreciated I'll do some research on this, do you know how esc reacts with trailer sway control that's standard on my Everest or Ranger by any chance?
Edit, research done on the AL-KO website,
Trailers sway on the vehicle and esc on the van is a goer, contrary to what I've read elsewhere.

Sorry, no idea how the two would work together but I'm sure someone here will be wiser than me.

(Maybe I'd better investigate the Patrol handbook to see if I have anything similar. I don't think so but, if I have it, I'm not aware of it)

All I know is that the ESC gives me far better handling and the confidence that it helps if there's a sway problem and we won't get any van without it in the future. I can honestly say that, after towing a van fitted with it for 20,000ks plus that I have never ever felt the van sway or misbehave in any way.

Reactions: bigcol