Nemesis add's another 14.44.4 OB to the fold

Nemesis

Apr 25, 2013
Albury NSW
Well after months waiting, surfing the forum eagerly looking at everyone else's pride and joy's ours finally arrived. We picked it up and wouldn't you know it, it rained solidly for two days, (a very sad story) in fact record breaking rains. I sat inside looking at my van sinking into our front lawn, then today finally some sunny weather, I winched it off the lawn (a little exaggeration) and put her in the driveway.

Got her all set up, ran over it from head to toe and now a little sore and exhausted, but no issues to speak of so far, turned everything on, gave it a go and so far so good. I must say I had a bit of a list of things to check off after reading forum messages (great inspiration) and it would seem that Jayco have listened to problems and suggestions and have made alterations which meant less work in preparation.

The new LED lights are great, they are very bright and effective lights, and the bi-mode they have a night light function also, they turn to minimal LED's which are blue, what a great feature. Also all the switches are together and off the floor level which is great, master switch for the lights is good also.

So we added a few things to the van, an extra water tank, external shower mounted at the rear of the van, HWS and electric pump, second gas bottle, water tank and battery level gauge, TV/DVD set up to make it a little more comfortable. Decided against putting the stereo in, bought a good little alarm/FM/DAB radio with iPhone and iPad charger build in, cheaper and better sound quality.

So only a few little wires required some protection work underneath, for the most part I was happy with the protection and placement of most of the fittings underneath. I have ordered a Stone Stomper, Christian has been very helpful, his product looks great cant wait to fit it up next week on our way through to the Flinders Rangers.

We have put rubber matting in all of the drawers and cupboard, little storage caddies for the pantry, I got some carpet left-over from a flooring place in town, I have covered the floor in the camper and the end storage areas as a little more padding/protection and run over all the screws and fittings with either locktite or WD40, then we stocked her up. I did a bit of tidying up of the coaxial cables on the aerial, works a treat now and nothing to catch on low trees.

Have a few more little mod's we are going to do, but in reality I am happy with the level of storage (not that we are packing a lot), we learnt to minimise after living in a soft floor camper for a while.

A few photo's below, cant wait to get on the road.

DSCN1581.JPG DSCN1583.JPG DSCN1585.JPG DSCN1591.JPG DSCN1595.JPG DSCN1596.JPG

Reactions: Tayla

Bmhdg76

Oct 6, 2012
North Lakes, Qld.
Hi Nemisis,

sounds pretty much like ours... We are in the waiting period For our 14.44-4.
you mention a list of things you checked over, could you possibly post up your list.
We are so looking forward to ours.

congrats.
BJ

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Appears you put your waiting time to good use Nemesis. Enjoy that maiden voyage. Have you thought of lights in cupboards Where things get lost in the shadows. I used push on/push off battery LEDS (About $3) from supermarket or "$2" shop, don't rely on the sticky tape, I used a few drops of glue to adhere the base. Also use a LED light in the fridge that pace9908 put me on to. There's a few versions in the bigger hardware chains.
392995347.831724.png

Stomper

Mar 6, 2013
Sunshine Coast
Very nice Nemesis, would be great to know your list of items to check as we are collecting our 14.44-5 on tuesday. We should be going on the jayco meet on the Gold Coast. Would be good to meet / see you there.

Nemesis

Apr 25, 2013
Albury NSW
Appears you put your waiting time to good use Nemesis. Enjoy that maiden voyage. Have you thought of lights in cupboards Where things get lost in the shadows. I used push on/push off battery LEDS (About $3) from supermarket or "$2" shop, don't rely on the sticky tape, I used a few drops of glue to adhere the base. Also use a LED light in the fridge that pace9908 put me on to. There's a few versions in the bigger hardware chains.
View attachment 14563

That's a great ideal XF, I have about six of these little lights left over from when I sold my campertrailer, I actually packed them away in a camping box yesterday, I was wondering what I could do with them now.

Cheers

Paul

Reactions: Xpandafan

Nemesis

Apr 25, 2013
Albury NSW
BJ & Stomper,

OK, here is a list of little things I made after reading through different issues with a few of the vans, some are things I wanted to do just to protect the van from new.

• Get underneath and ensure pipes and wiring are secure and have adequate protection, I found on mine the only wires requiring a little more protection (conduit) was the sensor wires from my water tanks at this stage;
  • Because we intend to take ours off road, we organised for a Stone Stomper guard for the van and cars protection;
  • We got an egg shell and QB mattress protector for fold out bed, made it very comfortable, you don't notice the mattress joins;
  • Run a couple of tanks of water to get out plastic taste from tanks;
  • Got a drinking water hose and sullage water hose from Bunnings, very cheap there, good quality;
  • Make up some travel carpets (got a 2x3.5m off cut from carpet place, made a template and cut it out, keeps floor in good nick, helps insulate floor for heating/cooling;
  • Sprayed the undervan marine ply with some satin marine grade varnish/sealant to protect the underside of the exposed wood, this took about 45mins, you will need a mask, disposable glasses and paper overalls;
  • Run soapy water across gas connections whilst running gas, checking for leaks;
  • Bought some gas fuses for the bottles at front, we are running a few gas appliances, better safe than sorry;
  • Run a screw driver over all drawer and doors to ensure they are tight;
  • WD40 or similar on all locks and catches;
  • Anti-slip rubber matting for all the storage surfaces and drawers (you can buy this in bulk pretty cheap at hardware or coles);
  • Run all your appliance on their different sources (gas for fridge, water, elect for fridge, battery, stove etc) make sure they are working safely;
  • Put some carpet and anti-slip matting in storage areas front and rear to stop items moving around or causing damage;
  • Neatened up and secured wiring on antenna on roof, stops it catching on things;
  • Buy levelling blocks for wheels and we made some wood blocks for stabilisers and jockey wheel;
  • Organise your insurance, we found CIL pretty good;
  • Put together a little tool kit for the trip for van main issues;
  • Check charging system and battery secure;
  • Check wheel nuts after your first trip home, then again after another 200km;
  • Read all that documentation they give you, familiarise yourself with the operation of all your bits and pieces;
  • Put up and pack down a few times, get a routine, we are putting together a pack up and pack down check list so we don't miss anything, like leave gas on, not checking brake off etc;
  • Check all the nights are working and secure;
  • Lay out everything you want to put in the van, then rationalise it, you have a heap of storage in the van, you will fill it up unnecessarily, take only what you need. Keep a list of things you don't use, get rid of them when you get home.
Keep a note book for your travels, little issues and ideas, its very surprising how much you will note and its a good reminder of things you want to remember later. This is just the van related stuff, there will no doubt be your own little things you want to add for your fitout.

Hopefully this helps.

Regards

Paul

Reactions: Stomper

Nemesis

Apr 25, 2013
Albury NSW
Very nice Nemesis. That's the first set of what I would call normal fabric colors for a Jayco van.

Brad,

Yep, the colour palate that they produced was interesting, a couple gave the wife and I a bit of chuckle, we stuck with the dark verse light theme, didn't go for any fancy colour choices, stuck with the slade for all cushions and dark bench tops, worked out well.

Cheers

Paul

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
We found it really handy & made a point of immediately noting down any faults we come across, otherwise you tend to forget if you wait until you get home. (we have 22 items on our list so far)

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Yep we did the same.
Anything that was going back for warranty we wrote on the blank page in the service book.
Seemed like a good place for us to write all that down seeing Jayco would look at it he book anyway.

Reactions: Xpandafan

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
Congrats on the new van, looks like you covered all the options too.

Do you have a photo of the shower on the rear? I aksed for that when i ordered mine 2 years ago and was told not possible.

Nemesis

Apr 25, 2013
Albury NSW
Congrats on the new van, looks like you covered all the options too.

Do you have a photo of the shower on the rear? I aksed for that when i ordered mine 2 years ago and was told not possible.

Moto Moto,

Have a look at the link below, BJ asked me the same so I posted the photo's in his discussion

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/and-so-the-wait-begins-order-placed.3165/page-2#post-43559

Not that I need to use it at the moment, I am sitting in the van at Hawker SA, having a beer, listening to the rain, which has been going now for two days solid, off to Arkaroola tomorrow morning, hopefully the weather improves

Cheers

Paul

Reactions: Moto Moto

Nemesis

Apr 25, 2013
Albury NSW
Congrats on the new van, it looks hot sitting in the driveway@:D

Thats a great checklist for everyone to consider after a new van purchase!

cheers

Not in the driveway anymore, spending my third night in it tonight in Hawker SA on our way to Arkaroola then Rawnsley Park Station, just had dinner and a couple of beers, its been raining for two days, hopefully it drys out soon.

Cheers Paul

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Not in the driveway anymore, spending my third night in it tonight in Hawker SA on our way to Arkaroola then Rawnsley Park Station, just had dinner and a couple of beers, its been raining for two days, hopefully it drys out soon.
Cheers Paul
Like hamish22 says it's about time away in the Expanda. Hopefully a bit of sunshine soon. The rain does really freshen up the country you're travelling in though.

Reactions: Nemesis

Rockape

Nov 20, 2012
Hills District, NSW
Congrats on your purchase. We are still waiting for our 14.44-4ob! You have chosen the same colour scheme as us. The van looks great and I love the black checker plate. Your check list is great too! Seems to be more and more 14.44-4 expandas about there now. What tug are you using?
cheers
Nick