Need tow vehicle advice for van! ATM Questions

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Our old D3 had a bit of work done to it. Air compressor, Low Control Arm brushes, numerous sensors and Front Axle he he..
Other things as well.
Did the auto oil and pans early.
All started around 90k or more. the Compressor they updated to the newer one that has less problems
Sold around 150k on the clock.

The D4 nothing as yet.. 68k only over 4 years.
You need to keep up servicing on them.

They are great cars although as said parts cost.

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Hi thetwosweet, bare in mind any 9 year old vehicle may have problems lurking.The GC Overlander has great specs( I have one) however it does have Quadralift air suspension which can be an expensive problem if it goes wrong.As I said previously most of us GC owners get parts ex US door to door in 7-10 days.There are other parts importers,as well as FC Aust.Any good mechanic should be able to service the motor etc.as will a good auto trans shop for trans.Mechanics who bag these vehicles probably should be working on lawn mowers.Have a look on the Ausjeepoffroad web site forum, plenty of info.Go and drive one ,if serious make sure all services done and up to date.Have a look on the road how many are towing vans ,plenty .

thetwosweets

Mar 27, 2020
Qld
Hi, thanks for the help. QLD transport have responded to the question about towing with van ATM greater than vehivale specs yet if van was not loaded under vehicle max capacity. Have decided to get a 3.5T car not just to be safe but thought i would shere an offical responce.

Thank you for your enquiry to the Department of Transport and Main Roads about towing a caravan.

The towing vehicle is permitted to tow a trailer or caravan that does not exceed its towing capacity, Gross Combination Mass (GCM) or the mass rating of any of the components, such as the tow bar. It is permissible to tow a trailer or caravan with a recorded ATM that exceeds the towing capacity of the towing vehicle, provided that when in use the caravan weight does not exceed the actual Gross Trailer Mass (GTM) or GCM.

It is recommended to check the GTM and GCM when the tow vehicle and caravan are fully loaded, including with all of the passengers and equipment you intend taking with you.
This can be checked at a public weighbridge or by attending a free caravan safety check event organised by the Caravan Trade & Industries Association of Queensland in conjunction with the Queensland Department of Transport & Main Roads.

You can find more information about buying a caravan at https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/-/media/...Vehicle-standards-instructions/G232.pdf?la=en

I trust this assists with your enquiry.

Reactions: Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I could tow a van thats ATM was plated for 3.9t or more so long as it doesn't exceed the GCM and other weights for my tug, if your under your limits then all is good and they aren't interested, same as I drive a vehicle that will do 200kph easy only get booked when I exceed the limit............ It is better all round to get something that gives you the max in tow cap and ball cap then if you stay with a van under 2.9t you won't have to stuff around spending more money to try and be legal.

Reactions: BJM and Crusty181

DRW

May 29, 2013
Beautiful Burrum Heads QLD
Don’t try it in SA, Moore Trailers we’re delivering three brand new trailers to Karratha a year or so back and we’re stopped because the prime mover only had a road train rating for two fully loaded trailers, the prime mover has company sign writing and the driver had the paper work stating they were being delivered empty but he had to leave one trailer behind deliver two and come back for the third which was a huge task because of distance and time. The trailers were tippers so they couldn’t double stack, since then they have purchased a brand new prime mover with maximum capacity, this was told to me by the owner of the company himself.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I got told off once for moving A and B trailers together with a non rated prime mover, empty from one yard to another, lucky it was only Compliance fella as only had a HC....

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I have always liked Patrols but the engines now leave me cold....

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Have you seen the prices of the new model Nissan Patrol? 71k drive away similar consumption to a 200 series towing mmmmmmm very tempted watch this space
Very under rated. The Y61 could well have been in the driveway had the payload been better. Much better value than the LC200

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
This V8 is one of the best engines made it was in Kelly’s supercar does La Mans 24 hour race better than a Chrysler Hemi remember the Nissan 3Lt 6cyl that was absolutely bulletproof

I was meaning something that I could afford to run like their oil burner engines, while the V8 is a fine lump of iron tipping a Jerry Can of petrol in every 100km with a van on the back is another thing entirely........

Reactions: Bluey

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Im sorry but i think the nissan v8 looks crap just saying

I dunno, I quite like the Patrol

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: mfexpanda and BJM

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Now this is a proper Patrol, big engine, no bling at all and with 3 gears you need to know how to drive, no poofy carpet or plastic...............actually looks like mine when I first got it except the steps are missing.

IMG_20181116_162127-1024x768.jpg

Reactions: Bluey and Crusty181

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Current V8 Patrol still only 560nm. Or around WK 2 Grand Cherokee figures.My 2010 WH Merc diesel with DP chip tune around 610 nm.never had any problems with the DP.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Everyone gets hooked onto this nm stuff, it means nothing if the gearing and diff ratios are rubbish but I do like V8's with decent systems, noise I like the noise..........

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
I said before Drover go and test drive the new Grand Cherokee Trackhawk 700 plus HP hemi and noise to boot. !! O-100 in 3 seconds. Plus you can get a 1000hp tuning kit if not enough grunt. Turns men into boys.!!

Reactions: Drover