Need advice

BOZZY

Jun 29, 2012
coffs coast nsw
Hi all,
Signed off on our 14.44-5 OB on Saturday so not long now but iam not sure about the new 12 pin pluge.
Dealer gave us a 'Lumen 12 pin trailer socket flat' to put on the tug because of the 150 lt fridge.
We had a Eagle OB with solar and new van has solar as well so i didnt care about charging the battery from the tug ( which has dual battery).
Do I need to run a bigger cable ie 8 or 6 b&s from battery to new 12 pin or will the cable that runs to the old 7 pin on tug do.
Hope that makes sense, Thanks:confused:

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hi bozzy, I'm doing the same atm, the dealer told me 6mm which is alot smaller than 6b&s, that won't even fit in the terminals and not sure about 8b&s but I'll be using 6mm twin which is rated @ 50amp that should be fine. We have ordered the 186L fridge rated @ 23amps.

Cheers.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey Burnsy,
Sounds good, does that mean that the van has 6mm going to the fridge?
8 b&s is smaller gauge then 6 b&s

Thanks.

Don't know for sure but I would say yes, havn't got other van yet but someone else could probably say if it's 6mm. Your right 8b&s is smaller than 6b&s but I still don't think it would fit in the terminals of the 12pin. I'm running 6mm twin from battery, then to circuit breaker, through relay and then to 12 pin plug.

Cheers.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Don't know for sure but I would say yes, havn't got other van yet but someone else could probably say if it's 6mm. Your right 8b&s is smaller than 6b&s but I still don't think it would fit in the terminals of the 12pin. I'm running 6mm twin from battery, then to circuit breaker, through relay and then to 12 pin plug.

Cheers.

Theres no standard for auotomotive wiring. Jayco use Narva 6mm Auto gauge wire which is resonable quality and equals about 4.5mm sq IIRC. i cant remeber what 8 b&s is but guessing something around 8-10mmsq and 6 b&s is 13mmsq. I was told that 8 b&s will fit in the 12 pin plugs if you share the two poles over two pins, i.e split postive in two and fit across two pins and same for earth, i didnt try it myself. The problem you have with the lighter gauge is not amperage but voltage drop. I found the 6mm auto was useless on the fridge, but past of that would have been the tiny gauge OEM wire in the pajero as well.

good luck.