My pig

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
Hi all, after seeing another members DIY Ozpig I thought I'd have a crack at one of my own :)

A Facebook post yesterday has netted me a good condition out of date 9kg bottle today.

I'll update this thread with pics as I proceed through the build.

After spending half an hour trying to get the damn valve off this arvo I realised I could just fill the bottle with water to evacuate the residual gas. Cutting the valve ought to be much easier!

Next up, cutting the front door....

Last edited:

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
Hi all, after seeing another members diy Ozpig I thought I'd have a crack at one of my own :)

A Facebook post yesterday has netted me a good condition out of date 9kg bottle today.

I'll update this thread with pics as I proceed through the build.

After spending half an hour trying to get the damn valve off this arvo I realised I could just fill the bottle with water to evacuate the residual gas. Cutting the valve ought to be much easier!

Next up, cutting the front door....
Just be careful cutting the valve off. I don't think you can fully fill them without removing the valve. Using a hacksaw blade is better than a grinder just slower. Leave the valve open and upside down for a few days as the gas is heavier.

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
I was thinking about hooking up the air compressor to the POL valve and running a few hundred litres of fresh air through the cylinder. Should only take a minute to find the right fittings in my box of goodies and I reckon would do an adequate job of diluting any remaining gas.

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
Can you think of a better way. Air has oxygen in it, mixed with residual gas (2 things you need for fire). The only other thing you need is an ignition source. An air compressor would be good for that I would think. Everything would have to do wrong for something to happen, BUT that's why accidents can happen.

Adam G

Jul 28, 2013
It's done now, I purged the bottle with water and cut it up on Friday. Pics to follow....