My Jayco Starcraft Outback 16.51 Caravan

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
Unfortunately, Jayco now say they only supply the 19mm wheelbrace. No socket. Used to do it but no longer. The brace only fits on the small section of the nut and is a bit loose. The sales bloke I dealt with is going to take it up with Jayco as a customer complaint. I don't expect to get anywhere with this one.

I think the brace is correct as it works perfectly on my boat trailer wheel nuts. But is loose on the van alloy wheel nuts. They are probably cheap crap from China. Will pull one off and measure it.

Oct 21, 2012
Hi dove,
My socket is 19mm it's a little loose not sure how's it's going to go as just got 12 month service done and the guy told me service recall on wheel nuts now have to be torqued to 150 nm that's pretty tight

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hi dove,
My socket is 19mm it's a little loose not sure how's it's going to go as just got 12 month service done and the guy told me service recall on wheel nuts now have to be torqued to 150 nm that's pretty tight
I'd get that confirmed first hand by Jayco (suggest a call the factory in Dandenong), and quote your van chassis number. Every van is identifiable on their computer system.

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
I pulled off one of the wheel nuts. Its stamped 19mm 1/2 inch. I measured the front 19 mm section as 19 mm across flats. When I stick the gauge into the across corners of the wheel wrench it is slightly larger than the across corner of the nut. There is about 5 mm of engagement when the wrench is placed on the nut. I think the across corner variation and the lack of engagement is why the wrench is wobbly on the nut. But it does work as I have taken off and re tensioned some of the nuts.

Now to the larger section at the rear of the nut. I measured the across flat as 20mm. I have a metric X Wheel Brace with 4 different wheel nut sockets of which 21 mm is the closest. So it will wobble and probably round off 20 mm A/F hex. I have had the brace for years so assume the 21 mm is a standard size. Not sure where 20 comes from? At the moment I stick with the Jayco wheel brace. Not really happy but I don't feel like paying Bunnings $62 for a break bar $15 for a 20mm socket, and not sure what an extension might cost.

I also filled up the water tanks today. Could not work out why the Drifter panel was not showing full when water was backing up out the inlet pipes. I finally discovered that you have to turn the pump on to get the readings to reset. Now both tanks show full. Doesn't seem a smart way to set up a system.

I also found out that the front tanks breather pipe leaks quite a bit at the joint to the tank. I could fix it but it isn't annoying me enough so I will let the dealer fix it under warranty and he can charge Jayco.

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
Got totally feed up with the Jayco supplied wheel brace. Went to Supercheap this morning and purchased a break bar, 13/16 multi sided long socket, and a 19 mm socket. Now the wheel nuts are tight and all my wheel nut sizes are catered for.