My BaseStation

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Mounted the box today.
Used 50x3mm alloy flat on the bottom and 40x3mm on the top inside the box.
20160429_173231.jpg

I cut some rubber strip and placed it between the alloy straps.
20160430_103911.jpg

Drilled holes through the bottom of the box
20160429_173239.jpg 20160429_173242.jpg

The hole lot is clamped together with M10 bolts with nylock nuts.
20160430_104138.jpg 20160430_104905.jpg 20160430_104924.jpg

Last edited:

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Storing the sullage hoses has always annoyed me as they all ways get packed up wet and dirty. Saw this somewhere on this forum and liked the idea so thought I would give it a go.
I used 2 x 6 meter lengths of 40mm DWV pipe and sealed the ends that are inside the chassis with a cap and silicon.
I then just feed the pipes into the off side chassis tube. I had to wiggle and force the pipes past a few screws that were going into the chassis but that was not to difficult.
20160430_122529.jpg 20160430_122521.jpg

I then put a screw in through the chassis and into the pipe at the far end to stop them sliding out.
20160430_123737.jpg
I store 2 sullage hoses, 1 at just over 6 meters and 1 at 3.5 meters.
I used some 25mm tool clips to hold the hose that pokes ot the end of the pipe.
20160430_130439.jpg
20160430_130942.jpg 20160430_130934.jpg

This should make the hoses a lot eaiser to put away wet and dirty and get to when needed and they will be straight not all coiled up.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I have the Basestation booked in tomorrow to have a few things fixed under warranty and I am scared about letting them do any work to it as every time I let someone work on my stuff they seem to make it worse. (some people just don't care about getting thing perfect anymore)
They rang me on Friday to tell me that I may need to reschedule as they have lost the repair list and have not ordered any parts that may be needed to do repairs. So that just made my confidence in them drop even more.

Last time it was there the had to replace the outside grab handle due to a crack in it and they ended up scratching the fiberglass body all around the handle.

Before (just a small crack)
2016-01-31 13.18.13.jpg
After (scratches all around handle, Australian made sticker rubbed off at lower bit)
2016-03-10 19.45.46.jpg 2016-03-10 19.45.29.jpg 2016-03-10 19.45.42.jpg

The list of things I need fixed this time seem to be a lot harder than just replacing a grab handle and when they cant get that perfect I begin to worry.

The list.
1. Silicon seal between kitchen bench top and splash back all cracked / split.
2. Leather on club lounge in very wrinkled in one area
3. Black checker plate around base of van coming away in a few spots.
4. Silicon in bathroom gone yellow. ( This is the item I worry about them stuffing up the most)
5. LED awing strip light, 3 leds not working.
6. Kitchen cupboard frame has wrinkles in laminate neat fridge.
7. Fix the scratches around the grab handle that they did.

How do other people feel about having Warranty work done on their vans?
Should I bother getting these item fixed and run the risk of them making them worse or should I just live with the van how it is?

Last edited:

mickyndan

Jan 8, 2014
Hi Guys
I like the mods you guys have done.
We ordered our 23OB on Saturday.
The extras we got were.
Extra bunks
Extra Robe
Drifter Controller
Fusion Stereo
IBIS upgrade
300W solar on roof
Lithium battery
Composite Gas bottles
3rd water tank
Sphere Satelite
Dual TV provisions
Front canvas storm cover.
Moved the window so the door wouldn't hit it
when it opens. Wrap around splash back so it covers the side wall.

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
I have the Basestation booked in tomorrow to have a few things fixed under warranty and I am scared about letting them do any work to it as every time I let someone work on my stuff they seem to make it worse. (some people just don't care about getting thing perfect anymore)
They rang me on Friday to tell me that I may need to reschedule as they have lost the repair list and have not ordered any parts that may be needed to do repairs. So that just made my confidence in them drop even more.

Last time it was there the had to replace the outside grab handle due to a crack in it and they ended up scratching the fiberglass body all around the handle.

Before (just a small crack)
View attachment 41217
After (scratches all around handle, Australian made sticker rubbed off at lower bit)
View attachment 41211 View attachment 41214 View attachment 41216

The list of things I need fixed this time seem to be a lot harder than just replacing a grab handle and when they cant get that perfect I begin to worry.

The list.
1. Silicon seal between kitchen bench top and splash back all cracked / split.
2. Leather on club lounge in very wrinkled in one area
3. Black checker plate around base of van coming away in a few spots.
4. Silicon in bathroom gone yellow. ( This is the item I worry about them stuffing up the most)
5. LED awing strip light, 3 leds not working.
6. Kitchen cupboard frame has wrinkles in laminate neat fridge.
7. Fix the scratches around the grab handle that they did.

How do other people feel about having Warranty work done on their vans?
Should I bother getting these item fixed and run the risk of them making them worse or should I just live with the van how it is?
Obviously I'm not a trained Jayco technician but I have to admit that getting the door handle off was difficult given how much sealant was used. I ended up marking the fibreglass slightly but professional repairers should have better tools and experience in doing work like this.
We have exactly the same issues with the kitchen bench top seal - very little was used and it's all cracked. We try to avoid splashing too much water and I'm not convinced that the local repairer would do a near job so undecided on this.
Agree that a more significant issue is the yellow sealant in the ensuite. Our plastics are remaining white so far but the sealant looks bad. My concern is whether they would just cover it up with more sealant that would look bad and yellow again after a few months. Wonder if others have yellow sealant or did we get a bad batch? The caravan is kept in a shed when not being used so no direct sunlight although the shed can get hot in summer.
I have a few months yet to decide what to do so might sit on them for a while. Also gives more time for other issues to arise then get everything dealt with at the one time.

Reactions: Base23

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I can understand your frustration

have you spoken to the service manager about it.............?
I am taking it to the dealer tomorrow morning and I will not be leaving the van there until I have spoken to the manager and geting some sort of guarantee that it can all be repaired correctly.
I have a feeling I will be bringing it back home with me.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Obviously I'm not a trained Jayco technician but I have to admit that getting the door handle off was difficult given how much sealant was used. I ended up marking the fibreglass slightly but professional repairers should have better tools and experience in doing work like this.
We have exactly the same issues with the kitchen bench top seal - very little was used and it's all cracked. We try to avoid splashing too much water and I'm not convinced that the local repairer would do a near job so undecided on this.
Agree that a more significant issue is the yellow sealant in the ensuite. Our plastics are remaining white so far but the sealant looks bad. My concern is whether they would just cover it up with more sealant that would look bad and yellow again after a few months. Wonder if others have yellow sealant or did we get a bad batch? The caravan is kept in a shed when not being used so no direct sunlight although the shed can get hot in summer.
I have a few months yet to decide what to do so might sit on them for a while. Also gives more time for other issues to arise then get everything dealt with at the one time.
What you see in the photos of the handle is after me spending a good few hours making it look better. They realy stuffed it up. You are correct in saying a professional repairer should do a better job.
It is frustrating that we both have the same issues with the bench top silicon and the bathroom silicon. I dont see how a company that makes so many vans can have so many common stuff ups.

Reactions: Saxby12

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
unfortunately, when you buy several pallet loads of Silicone, some is bound to be old and on its way before they even open the box up

just today at work I opened a box of Silicone, that was delivered on Friday
2nd tube out was a bit "funny" - it was starting to cure in the tube

Reactions: Drover and dagree

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
unfortunately, when you buy several pallet loads of Silicone, some is bound to be old and on its way before they even open the box up

just today at work I opened a box of Silicone, that was delivered on Friday
2nd tube out was a bit "funny" - it was starting to cure in the tube
I am sure the reworks for using out of date silicon would be costing Jayco or its suppliers more than it would cost to throw the old tube out. The monkey applying the silicon at Jayco should check the date or know it is old as he is applying it, but then again do they care.

Reactions: bigcol

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I left the van at the dealer this morning as I was promised that they would not do any repairs unless they can do the job 100 percent correctly.
Told them they could have the van until Friday. Rang them at 3pm to see how they were going and was advised they are looking at it and they have not done anything yet, I guess they will rush all the repairs Friday afternoon just before I pick it up.
Had a phone call at 3.30pm and was advised the the club lounge cushion with the wrinkles in it was rejected as a warranty claim by Jayco.
Apparently leather is a natural product and it could have blemishes.
Well F*** me I have never seen a taupe coloured cow in the shape of a seat cushion. The useless twit the stitched it together should have seen the blemish.
I told the dealer this is not acceptable and get it approved and they told me once Jayco say no there is nothing they can do.
So I guess I will be on the phone to Jayco tomorrow

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Had a phone call at 3.30pm and was advised the the club lounge cushion with the wrinkles in it was rejected as a warranty claim by Jayco.
Apparently leather is a natural product and it could have blemishes.
Well F*** me I have never seen a taupe coloured cow in the shape of a seat cushion. The useless twit the stitched it together should have seen the blemish.

your right, I've never seen a Taupe coloured Cow
seen brown ones, Black ones, grey ones, Black & white ones, Brown & white ones
seen ones with lots of bits hanging down at the back,
and
I have seen others that only have 1 - and they are big buggers, so I stay away from them

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Trained Jayco technician and QC system , unheard of I thought......................looking forward to your happy report on Friday night..............( fingers and toes crossed )...

Reactions: davemc and bigcol

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Have had a call from Jayco dealer and they have done silicon between bench top and splash back, Replaced silicon in bathroom, polished scratches at door grab handle and are currently replacing led strip light in awning (that was an effort but is being done under warranty, tried to blame me)

Leather on club lounge is still being looked in to by Jayco warranty department (still waiting to call me back)
Kitchen cupboard frame wrinkles in laminate are also being looked at by Jayco and cupboard looks like it will need to be replaced at a later date.

May pick up the van this afternoon so lets hope they have done a good job.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
OK, Picked up the Basestation this afternoon and the repairs are better than expected, Not 100 percent but and still a few things to sort out.

Bathroom silicon now white but did not replace silicon at bathroom roof,
2016-05-06 14.08.02.jpg 2016-05-06 14.08.12.jpg 2016-05-06 14.08.15.jpg 2016-05-06 14.08.23.jpg

roof silicon still yellow
2016-05-06 14.07.58.jpg

Bench top / splash back now has a silicon joint, although colour could have been a better choice
2016-05-06 14.08.38.jpg

LED strip light replaced and spacer now fitted to awing center brace so it will not rub on led again
2016-05-06 14.07.40.jpg

Around door grab handle polished and most scratches gone
2016-05-06 14.07.45.jpg

They did not fix black checker plate coming away from van in a few spots because they could not see it doing it. I have shown them photos and told them it happens when the van is parked at an angle or in the sun but still not fixed.
2016-01-03 17.38.59.jpg

Still waiting on approval on leather couch cushion and kitchen bench wrinkles. Will see how that goes.
2016-01-31 13.18.40.jpg 2016-01-31 13.18.45.jpg 2016-01-31 13.18.54.jpg 2016-01-31 13.19.01.jpg

Last edited:

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Well better than expected I suppose, the leather problem is pretty common on all sorts of units even the expensive stuff as for the led's I've looked at heaps of them and I think another layer of silicon or some such clear of the whole strip after fitting may stop the problem as the one's I've checked out all seem to have had moisture ingress which shorts things out, you can cut the bad section out and solder in a new bit, living on the barrel seems to kill them.

Reactions: bigcol and Base23