My BaseStation

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I have also fitted a White Caframo 807 sirocco 12 volt fan to the roof of the bunk room. The fan is very efficient and quite and helps a lot in moving the air around in the bunk room, It also helps to bring in the cool air from the air conditioner. It was not easy to run the 12 volt power cable to the fan but I managed to get it across the ceiling and to the over head cupboard where I had a 12v point.

Folds flat against the roof when not in use.
2016-01-21 08.21.40.jpg

Lower down and is fully adjustable in any direction
2016-01-21 08.23.16.jpg

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
I like it, whats in the roof, I have been looking at those 12v ceiling fans and was hoping to pick up the power from one of the lights depending on the (cable size).

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I like it, whats in the roof, I have been looking at those 12v ceiling fans and was hoping to pick up the power from one of the lights depending on the (cable size).
Thanks
There is not a lot in the roof, it is only a cavity about 40mm deep and has insulation in it. The roof joists run across the van at about 400mm spacing. I could only feed the wires in the roof cavity from the fan mounting point to the side of the van into the over head cupboard, then ran the wires in the cupboard and picked up power from the rear TV 12 volt supply.
I was also thinking of getting power from light but there is no power to light unless switched on from the wall switch.

Reactions: Delano and DRW

ShaneT

Jul 24, 2014
W.A
Arrr ok cheers, looks like i will have to buy some of that corner cable hider from bunnings, thanks for the tip.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Have almost finished installing a grey water tank, has not been an easy job but I think has turned out OK.
Have attached some pics but for a complete look at the install go the toy haulers thread and have a read grey water tank fitted in basestation
http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/grey-water-tank-fitted-to-basestation.8383/

Rear view
20160122_233214.jpg

Side view
20160122_233139.jpg

Bracket to hold outlet pipe
20160129_171156.jpg

Tank does not hang any lower than the Alko drop jacks.
20160123_161555.jpg

Last edited:

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Do you mind me asking where you bought your brake light from?
Bad weather this weekend so might give me an opportunity to complete a few jobs, including the waste plumbing.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Do you mind me asking where you bought your brake light from?
Bad weather this weekend so might give me an opportunity to complete a few jobs, including the waste plumbing.
Got brake light from Sprint auto parts on Torrens Road, Kilkenny . Had to order it in as they only had red coloured lense in stock. Autobahn also stocks the LED autolamps brand. Part No is 380CCR12 for light, comes with chrome surround/bracket so you also need Part No 380-replacement white bracket.
Cheers

Reactions: Delano and bigcol

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I have 3 water tanks fitted to my Basestation and from factory the pick up from the front 2 tanks were linked so I could only draw from either the front 2 tanks together or switch to the rear tank.
So fitted an extra 3 way valve to the side of the van so I can have full control from what tank I draw water from. Only a $5 part from Jayco so I dont know why jayco just dont do this in the factory.
Also attached labels so I know what tap does what tank.

In this photo I am drawing water from only tank 2
20160129_173542.jpg

Last edited:

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
interesting @Base23 ours 3 tanks setup where it supposed to draw from rear or front two link. I found it does not take water from the front tank only the one closer. So maybe some plumbing is needed to get it to work correctly
The way jayco have it plumbed will never work properly, mine also favored the closer tank. The 2 front tanks would also not self level between them because the pick up hoses go up to the floor before they join together. If you want to draw from both tanks together you need to keep the pick up hose level and at the bottom of both tanks.

Reactions: bigcol and Delano

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
The way jayco have it plumbed will never work properly, mine also favored the closer tank. The 2 front tanks would also not self level between them because the pick up hoses go up to the floor before they join together. If you want to draw from both tanks together you need to keep the pick up hose level and at the bottom of both tanks.
yes a dogs break fest under there.. I am now really thinking to do the grey tank mod you did and run up the front tank as drinking water only to a filter tap.

Reactions: bigcol and Delano

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
yes a dogs break fest under there.. I am now really thinking to do the grey tank mod you did and run up the front tank as drinking water only to a filter tap.
Mine was a real mess under the van, I spent a few nights under the van when I first got it just sorting out the hoses and cabling.

Reactions: bigcol and davemc

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
And they don't like to use much pipe glue.....started the change the shower waste and bumped the wash basin waste next to it........ended up swimming in 2 week old waste water as the pipe joiner parted from the pipe. Then move the water hose going to the toilet....it sprayed water since the metal clamp wasn't tightened properly. Guess will have to spend a few more hours under the camper checking all the other fittings.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
And they don't like to use much pipe glue.....started the change the shower waste and bumped the wash basin waste next to it........ended up swimming in 2 week old waste water as the pipe joiner parted from the pipe. Then move the water hose going to the toilet....it sprayed water since the metal clamp wasn't tightened properly. Guess will have to spend a few more hours under the camper checking all the other fittings.
Yes you need to check every thing is tight, My water hose going to toilet was also loose and leaking from the threaded fitting, mixer tap hoses loose under sink and water filter not screwed on correctly leading to water all over the floor of the van.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Added a little bling to the Basestation
I had some blue led strip light in the shed and thought it would look good glowing from the external entertainment unit.

Before
2016-01-31 21.23.14.jpg

Led strip light on
2016-01-31 21.23.06.jpg

I took power from inside the12 volt TV socket and fitted a switch in the surface mount box to control the light.
2016-01-31 21.23.33.jpg

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I was checking ball weight today and pumped the water from tank 1 to the grey water tank to see what difference that would make to ball weight and noticed that the tank level gauge for tank 1 on the drifter control panel was showing full until it was almost empty.
So I went under the van to check the tank sensors were in the correct order for that tank, guess what they were installed incorrectly from factory.
Had to drop the tank remove the top and 3rd sensor and swap them over and now the gauge works the way it should.

This is incorect. Green wire should be at the top sensor.
Should be from the top green, yellow, blue, white.
20160206_141427.jpg

All installed and working correctly
20160206_144408.jpg

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
My overhead cupboard above the cook top and sink at the moment is not quite how I want it, As the solar controller, 12v and usb points are attached to the back wall so when ever I want to connect anything or check what the solar is doing I have to move the stuff out of the cupboard to access them. The satellite IDU (indoor control unit) is also mounted right in the middle / bottom of the cupboard making that space useless also.

This it what it looks like from factory and is very unusable.
20160210_080645.jpg

I am making a shelf to mount my satellite IDU control box up high so I can use more of the cupboard and going to mount the solar controller and 12v points to the left side front of the cupboard.

Reactions: bigcol

Dobbie

Jun 18, 2014
Sounds like a sensible solution.

Hiding them in a cupboard makes them less in your face but that's where they should be so they're useful.

I wonder if there could be a heat build up in there as well.......