My BaseStation

Mattintas

Jun 12, 2017
Tasmania
I redrilled my hitch also to move it in to the receiver about 70mm more. Looks neater and a lot less leverage on the back of the Jeep.

Before
View attachment 49468

After drilling new hole
View attachment 49469
Hey there Base23, i have a basestation OB and was wondering if this guys second hand Anderson Hitch would fit my setup? I’d be keen to know your thoughts as you have a fair bit of experience using them.https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-details.html?adId=1161995989

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Hey there Base23, i have a basestation OB and was wondering if this guys second hand Anderson Hitch would fit my setup? I’d be keen to know your thoughts as you have a fair bit of experience using them.https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-view-details.html?adId=1161995989
Hello
Looks to be OK but hard to tell if it has the longer A frames bracket to suit the Jayco outback chassis.
The longer brackets lower the chains and puts them at a better angle.

Reactions: Drover and bigcol

Rob-Base19

Mar 28, 2017
Vic
Hi guys, I picked up a 19ft Basestation earlier this year. It’s my first van and have taken it away on 2 trips so far.....planning on a few more trips in the coming months as the weather improves (I’m in Vic).

I’ve done a couple of minor mods which I’ll post pics of shortly......rear vision camera is the most useful....will also install an extra camera so I can keep an eye on the garage whilst on the move.

Just wanted to seek you experiences with the rear ramp. When mine is dropped down to load a toy, it still sits around 100-150mm up of the ground. Makes it a real pain loading. I need to get someone to stand on it, or place a heavy weight on it (not so easy because of the gradient!). I raised this with the local dealer but their response was pretty average basically saying ‘that’s how they are....it’s to make lifting the tailgate easier....put a heavy bag on it’. In my opinion, it’s a simple case of the spring tension not being calibrated correctly for this particular use.

Please tell me how your ramps sit when open. The dealer tells me they checked another van and it was the same.

I’m collecting the van today (they fixed a few other minor issues) and would be great if I could arm myself with your experiences.

Thanks in advance!

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Yes my rear door sit about 200mm of the ground also.
I either raise the jocky wheel like chartrock suggested, (this also helps with the angle of the door not being so steep) or i get one of the kids to stand on the door whilst I load the basestation.

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Mine sits about 100mm off the ground and didn’t change much when I removed the spare wheel (it’s now underneath to move weight around better).
Agree with the suggestion to raise the jockey wheel if it’s not connected to the tow vehicle.
To be honest, it hasn’t been an issue for us.

Reactions: bigcol

Lonski

Aug 19, 2013
Perth
Hi guys, I picked up a 19ft Basestation earlier this year. It’s my first van and have taken it away on 2 trips so far.....planning on a few more trips in the coming months as the weather improves (I’m in Vic).

I’ve done a couple of minor mods which I’ll post pics of shortly......rear vision camera is the most useful....will also install an extra camera so I can keep an eye on the garage whilst on the move.

Just wanted to seek you experiences with the rear ramp. When mine is dropped down to load a toy, it still sits around 100-150mm up of the ground. Makes it a real pain loading. I need to get someone to stand on it, or place a heavy weight on it (not so easy because of the gradient!). I raised this with the local dealer but their response was pretty average basically saying ‘that’s how they are....it’s to make lifting the tailgate easier....put a heavy bag on it’. In my opinion, it’s a simple case of the spring tension not being calibrated correctly for this particular use.

Please tell me how your ramps sit when open. The dealer tells me they checked another van and it was the same.

I’m collecting the van today (they fixed a few other minor issues) and would be great if I could arm myself with your experiences.

Thanks in advance!
I have a 2013 BS Outback and its the same - ramps sits ~150-200mm off the ground, means i have to do a wheel stand when i load my dirtbike in there.:rockon:. I

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Its been a while since I have done any mods to my basestation but here I go again.
I love air bag suspension, the way it rides, the way its adjustable for different loads and in a van the ease in leveling side to side when parked. So that being said I have ordered the Airbag man jtech air bag retrofit kit to fit my Jayco basestation outback.
I am still waiting for the kit to arrive but tonight i removed the coil springs, locators, bump stops and shocks to make way for the air bags.

factory Jtech before removal

parts from oneside removed

will post more as I do more.

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
Its been a while since I have done any mods to my basestation but here I go again.
I love air bag suspension, the way it rides, the way its adjustable for different loads and in a van the ease in leveling side to side when parked. So that being said I have ordered the Airbag man jtech air bag retrofit kit to fit my Jayco basestation outback.
I am still waiting for the kit to arrive but tonight i removed the coil springs, locators, bump stops and shocks to make way for the air bags.

Ill be watching this !

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC

Whats the kit worth @Base23

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
The airbag man kit retails for $1980 inc GST. that includes 4 firestone air bags, 4 longer travel shock absorbers, 4 bunp stops, upper mounting plates and new lower shock brackets. It comes with all the tubing and tyre style inflation valves.

I will be adding a onboard air system that includes a compressor, 11 ltr air tank, digital pressure gauge and paddle switch control for inflation and deflation of the suspension system, it also comes with a tyre inflation gauge, hose and fittings and that retails for $1225 inc GST.

control kit.
1533722177081897018738.jpg

Jake

Jun 20, 2018
Narellan
I will be eagerly watching this, I was under the van today contemplating bagging mine and for the last hour been doing my googles. I was looking at something along the lines of a Dakota Digital on board control system, just set and forget when driving.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
I will be eagerly watching this, I was under the van today contemplating bagging mine and for the last hour been doing my googles. I was looking at something along the lines of a Dakota Digital on board control system, just set and forget when driving.
there are a lot of control systems on the market and most of them have 3 level presets but not all of them allow side to side adjustment and most are.4 valve control. On a tandem trailer you only need to control 2 air valves as the bags are linked to provide a load sharing system.
I run a air ride technology system in my air bagged ford falcon and that has the 3 presets and auto leveling plus i have full independent control in every direction.
the auto systems are good but for the van i feel it will be a hassle and could bring unwanted problems when something goes wrong.
With a full manual pneumatic valve system once I get to know what pressure the van requires for ride height it is just a simple toggle of the paddle valve to that pressure and its done.

Reactions: Jake and G Daddy

Jake

Jun 20, 2018
Narellan
Hmmmm now you have me thinking. I see the sense and ease in 2 valves but am worried if one line or bag goes that side drops, independent would atleast semi hold that side up to get off the road or out of the way. I know bags and lines have come along way and rarely let go but having had a bad experience with linked bags scares me a little (it was a long and noisy drag home)

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Hmmmm now you have me thinking. I see the sense and ease in 2 valves but am worried if one line or bag goes that side drops, independent would atleast semi hold that side up to get off the road or out of the way. I know bags and lines have come along way and rarely let go but having had a bad experience with linked bags scares me a little (it was a long and noisy drag home)
If one of the bags were to fail the van would just sit on the bump stops.
it would still be towabale but you would have to go slow and take it easy.

Reactions: Jake

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
air bag kit did not arive today and looks like I wont see it until next week.
so tonight I started making the control panel mounting plate.
I am going to install the air bag controls in the outside entertainment unit so that the controls ar out of sight and I can also look the door.
I made the face plate out of 2mm sheet and sprayed it black.

started with this
20180809_180246.jpg

now looks like this
20180809_213138.jpg

now i just need the parts to arrive

Reactions: G Daddy

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
there are a lot of control systems on the market and most of them have 3 level presets but not all of them allow side to side adjustment and most are.4 valve control. On a tandem trailer you only need to control 2 air valves as the bags are linked to provide a load sharing system.
I run a air ride technology system in my air bagged ford falcon and that has the 3 presets and auto leveling plus i have full independent control in every direction.
the auto systems are good but for the van i feel it will be a hassle and could bring unwanted problems when something goes wrong.
With a full manual pneumatic valve system once I get to know what pressure the van requires for ride height it is just a simple toggle of the paddle valve to that pressure and its done.
Is the kit a simple straight swap out?

The Airbag Man doesnt build suspension, and they are the supplier of Silverline airbag suspension. So reading between the lines Im guessing the Silverline airbag suspension is just an standard Jtech coil Airbag Man swap out which would be pretty reassuring I suspect.

Base23

Jan 17, 2016
Adelaide
Its "Almost" a simple swap out.
Yes I believe that Airbag man worked with Jayco on the Design of the silverline air suspension.
The silverline air bag suspension uses reversible sleeve type air bags as when the build the air bagged silverline in the factory they install different top spring mounts to allow extra length suit the sleeve type air bag but other that that I believe that its just standard Jayco Jtech.
The retro fit kit uses Double convoluted bags because of the distance between the spring mounts is to small to fit the sleeve type bag.
I also have to relocate the lower shock mounts to allow for new longer travel shocks.
Overall I feel the kit should be very good and reliable as you are using all the factory mounts.

Reactions: G Daddy

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Relocating the shock mounts is a pretty significant modification, not for the faint of heart. Do you know what the max travel will be