Chassis Moving the spare wheel on a 12 footer

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
We want to move the spare wheel on our van from under the aframe to sit on top of it on a bracket - we bottom out a bit due to the wheel being so low to the ground. Can anyone recommend someone who can do this in the outer east area of Melbourne?
Jacki

Alan

Feb 3, 2012
Altona Vic
I am in the process of moving it to underneath the back using an old Mazda van spare tyre winch. My problem was not clearance but towball weight. If you want to leave it on the front just step back and look at it and think of what type of a cross beams set up you will need and bolt it to it. The weight keeps it in place just a matter of making sure it does not move around.

Reactions: jacbaz

Jason18576

Jul 14, 2013
Tivol,Ipswich,QLD
image-jpg.jpg
sorry about the pic, my sits under with a old LC spear wheel holder

Reactions: jacbaz

Batz

Oct 4, 2013
Noosa Hinterlands
Sorry for the late reply, I'm working away ATM. I'll be home next week and can take a few pics if still needed. Our van has those wider 4x4 rims, so the spare has to be mounted on top of the frame.

jacbaz

Feb 6, 2011
Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne
Thanks @Batz - that is what ours is like but we find we scrape a lot (on slight hills), however Baz has cut it off last week and will be able to use the same bracket to sit it on top of the drawer bar - will post some pics when its done
Jacki