Chassis Moving spare tyre to underneath on a 20.64.1

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
I need to move my spare from the A Frame to underneath and want to move it from front to back at the same time to reduce ball weight.

Not sure whether I want to use a tyre winch or carrier (it will come down to which is easier and still provides to most amount of ground clearance).

Any pics of what people have done available?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
There's a couple of threads from a few years back, I did a few posts with pics on my 14.44 thread, I think the wind down carrier is easier all round to fit where the rack requires more stuffing around, just need to locate the winder in an easy spot but then how many times is one needing the spare..... to find the best spot run a straight edge from the ground at the bottom of the tyre to the rear bumper, anything outside that line stands a chance of dragging on the ground,inside reasonably safe, unless you do some gutter jumping.

Somewhere in this awesome thread.... Page 4 for a drop down and page 7 for the underneath job.....

https://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/drovers-14-44-3.4502/

tyrerack01-jpg.29261

Reactions: RobRoy

Macca_75

Aug 3, 2016
SE Suburbs, Vic.
I have searched a few threads here and found similar.

I think I will end up buying a Ford Ranger one from a wreker (to match the car) and offset it on the passengers side at the rear. Hoping to squeeze a grey water tank beside it.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
The style of the winder end is most important as some would be a pain to connect, best idea is to make a winder handle that has a flexi joint in it and hard fit it so you just have to attach from the rear or side without having to bend down........