QLD Moreton island

RobRoy

Apr 20, 2017
Perth
Hi all, we are considering a few days on Moreton island. Would it be ok with a 20ft expander and standard landcruiser 200 series?.
Tyres would be at 15 psi on car and van.
I have a snatch strap and shovel.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Iam sure if you got stuck Drover in his Grand Cherokee would come and help you out !

Never been there, the price of the barge scares me off, looking at nearly $500 return with a van and add to that the beach permit , camp fees, way out of my league and as for the beach with a van thats always a gamble it can change overnight................. no rescue from this direction, I'd use a Bic.

I should add if I was towing a van along any beach I would do it with someone as sure as eggs you will need back up, its not fun by yourself....been there done that.

Vehicle return $280 + trailer return @ $55 per metre and thats the very back to the hitch, now thats scary..... permit $55

Last edited:

poor but proud

Aug 25, 2018
redlands
The cost of the ferry is indeed an issue but the sand tracks will stop you big time have seen just cars bogged to the sills there the calm side does not have a lot camp places as the tide comes up to dunes to get to the surf side the middle track is a real issue and only a few designated camp areas on the ocean side Moreton is place that usually attracts tents or camper trailers. Straddle is an alternative ferry a bit cheaper made roads and proper caravan parks and camping areas same type of scenery without the risk of getting stuck on deep sand tracks. Happy travel btw looking across to straddie having my morning coffee is a bit Smokey today

Reactions: Drover

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Every island ive been to in the end is same or very much like the main land but far more expencive like all the islands in the Whitsundays i got married on one Long island nice but so is Airly beach and Dingo beach up the road

Reactions: Drover and RobRoy

RobRoy

Apr 20, 2017
Perth
Every island ive been to in the end is same or very much like the main land but far more expencive like all the islands in the Whitsundays i got married on one Long island nice but so is Airly beach and Dingo beach up the road

Where is your romantic side?

Reactions: DRW and Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
the attraction of islands is simple, not everyone gets there,

Except on LWE, public holidays when every man and his dog is lined up waiting for the barge, waiting for dumb Prado driver to get unbogged on the single track, etc,etc.................

Reactions: RobRoy

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
We have a bridge to Phillip Island works well just drive over it bang your on the island what do you know same as mainland

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Where is your romantic side?
I must say at the time hang on will ask mrs bluey ..... well that didnt go well she says 10 years it was around 2500 for week on the island marriage fees money for photos her dad paid week at Airly beach plus flights so not bad her parents my parents and 2 good friends they all paid own air faires worked out well for me her dad still owes me i reckon he got out of it lightly i paid drinks bill on the big night 100 bucks nice i was blind drunk if i remember they gave us good prices on drinks so yes thumbs up for Islands

Reactions: DRW and RobRoy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
We have a bridge to Phillip Island works well just drive over it bang your on the island what do you know same as mainland

and isn't that a sh%#t fight on a weekend......................... like a nice tarred road to Innskip Point now every man and his dog there.... (Crotchity Old Fart Local)

I must say at the time hang on will ask mrs bluey ..... well that didnt go well she says 10 years it was around 2500 for week on the island marriage fees money for photos her dad paid week at Airly beach plus flights so not bad her parents my parents and 2 good friends they all paid own air faires worked out well for me her dad still owes me i reckon he got out of it lightly i paid drinks bill on the big night 100 bucks nice i was blind drunk if i remember they gave us good prices on drinks so yes thumbs up for Islands

You asked the question, now your romantic dream has been smashed by someone who was there..............lol,lol,lol........ I've learnt not to ask.......

Reactions: Bluey and RobRoy

BJM

Sep 29, 2018
Yamba
Bridge coming over the Daintree ,now tar sealed all the way to Cape Tribulation so the backpackers can frighten the hell out of you.Even mooting to seal up to CapeYork.Mate said busiest numbers up there ever seen in Sept.300 having a drink one Sunday arvo at the lodge.!

Reactions: Bluey and RobRoy

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
When they bridged the Wenlock the Cape run became just a long dirt road, good for locals though, now Im happy to have tarred roads and bridges, corrugations and rafts are not fun anymore....