Electrical Mobile / internet booster

Zimbo

Feb 28, 2015
Perth
Folks - any guidance appreciated - I'm after info 'that works' ref to mobile / 3G signal booster that can be fitted to van for those remote trips north WA for the odd occasions that we have to address issues via internet & more importantly keep tabs on 'willy weather' - tired of standing on top of a sand dune trying to catch a brief signal. This will also get my better half in better temperament trying to manage online bookings. Thanks

Kane

Apr 6, 2015
Perth
Be careful with any of the active boosters sold on ebay and elsewhere that promise to boost your signal - you're not allowed to use them, and it's very easy for the mobile networks to track you down (or so I've read) Apparently the only one that is legally allowed to be used is the "Cel-Fi" one (around $900), which is probably not ideal for a caravan anyway.

The best option is an external antenna - and preferably a directional one like a yagi (where you point the antenna at the general direction of the cell tower). The thing is, your device will need to be able to support being connected to an external antenna, which pretty much rules out any smartphones.. Most of the decent 3g/4g dongles support external antennas (like the sierra wireless ones from Telstra), so you can use this to get Internet access, but unless you have a phone that can connect to an external antenna, you'll be stuck with using Skype for voice calls!

My parents do the grey nomad thing and I bought them a yagi antenna, which my Dad has mounted on the top of a 4m high pole, and spins it until he gets the best signal. Using this, they've been able to get a solid 2 or 3 bars where others have zero reception. These are all in remote north WA locations. If you have any particular locations in mind, let us know and I'll see if he's been there and how it's performed there.

We got great advice from Joe at www.onewireless.com.au if you're looking for somewhere to get the gear.

Cheers

Zimbo

Feb 28, 2015
Perth
Kane,
Thanks for that - have been researching and seen the info regarding the boosters / repeaters & then obviously that of Telco approved job but at $900 vs. the $80-100 what are they thinking, it's no wonder people buy the ebay jobs? Obviously I want to do the right thing as would rather not take the possible fine and this primarily for internet use so the yagi would serve our purpose - destination Ningaloo Station & surrounds a couple of weeks a year.Cheers

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
There is a product known as a Balconi Tracker which is designed to increase the range of 3G signals. (http://www.balconi.com.au/trackerSolutions.html)

It uses 2 directional yagi antennas on which automatically point to the closest base station.

They are used in marine and emergency service in WA and significantly increase the range, however they are not cheap.

I also have a yagi antenna that I manually point and it helps bring in signal when phones have nothing.

Last edited:

Kane

Apr 6, 2015
Perth
There is a product known as a Balconi Tracker which is designed to increase the range of 3G signals. (http://www.balconi.com.au/trackerSolutions.html)

It uses 2 directional yagi antennas on which automatically point to the closest base station.

They are used in marine and emergency service in WA and significantly increase the range, however they are not cheap.

Looks very cool. But as you mention, pretty expensive (not that I can even find a price for one, which probably means it's way above my pay grade)

Zimbo

Feb 28, 2015
Perth
Thanks for the Balconi info - even looks $$$ - I think I'll give the yagi antenna a go.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you are unable to build your own aerials then this mob can answer your questions and help.........https://www.telcoantennas.com.au/site/what-antenna-do-i-need .................great write ups on DIY yagi's at http://whirlpool.net.au/wiki/homemade_yagi#homemade_yagi_pg2

Using a Yagi will greatly increase your reception but to gain the most from one you need to know the freq which the transmitter operates on as not all areas transmit on the same freq and a Yagi is very freq specific even though some claim will work from 800 to 2100 they may but not that great.

Magic boxes that some how pull in stronger signal than your device without some external aerial may have some ??? claim in the burbs but more than likely rubbish out in the bush.

Reactions: mfexpanda