Electrical Mini Ampfibian

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Having recently brought an Expanda I was going to put a 15amp power point in under the house so I could run the van. I havent got a price form a sparkie as yet but the Mini Ampfibian at around $80 will be much cheaper than a 15amp plug install I would guess.

Does anyone else use one of these at home? I dont need the water proof one as the Ampfibian will be out of the weather under the house and I doubt very much that you would come across a caravan park in this day and age that has 10amp feeds.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
So whats really wrong with having a 10amp plug on the end of a lead, so long as your not stupid and try to run AC, micro wave and a heap of other stuff, or am I thinking of that world where there are no stupid people.
Don't tell me the earth pin won't work.
Mine runs off the 10amp plug in my shed and has even run the AC at times without tripping the breaker ever, leads all 15amp, mainlyjust to keep battery charged up.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
So whats really wrong with having a 10amp plug on the end of a lead, so long as your not stupid and try to run AC, micro wave and a heap of other stuff, or am I thinking of that world where there are no stupid people.
Don't tell me the earth pin won't work.
Mine runs off the 10amp plug in my shed and has even run the AC at times without tripping the breaker ever, leads all 15amp, mainlyjust to keep battery charged up.

You haven't tripped the circuit breaker because it is rated at 20A. A circuit breaker is sized to protect the installed cabling not the equipment connected to the end of it as you have multiple 10A sockets on a 20A circuit. A 15A outlet on a dedicated circuit will have 20A cabling and 20A circuit protection. Your risk of plugging into a 10A socket outlet (standard power point) is overloading the socket on the wall as again it is rated at 10A so the switch and contacts are to small for the 15A load. You will generate heat then it will start to melt and catch fire with sustained use.
The earthing will work but with the larger pin but that is one way to distinguish and to prevent people plugging 15A appliances into 10A outlets.
A 20A outlet has all 3 pins the same size as the 15A earth. Anything over that goes to round pins.

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
I've just noticed these too.
I don't want or need an Amp-fibian as I have a 15A outlet in my garage next to the van, but we will be taking the van away in a few weeks to a friends place for the weekend and I imagine it's going to be hot, so I'd like to run the A/C.

I could leave the mini one inside and run my 15A lead out to the van, keeping it protected.
Either that or the Jaycar one, but the mini Ampfibian looks neater.

Reactions: Axl

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
@MDS69, that is true, I was really asking a Dorothy Dix question although my shed 10 amp socket does not have a 20 amp breaker on the end of it and if you load it up, it will pop but my van is plugged into it as it is nearer than my 15amp, only runs the battery charger so it's pretty safe that won't cause a meltdown.

But a 15 amp plug has the same size terminal as a 10 amp except for the earth.

So would I be correct to assume that having an ampfibian doesn't allow you to run all your gear as you would from a 15 amp circuit it just protects the 10 amp circuit youv'e plugged into from having a meltdown.

Reactions: blacky

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
@MDS69,
So would I be correct to assume that having an ampfibian doesn't allow you to run all your gear as you would from a 15 amp circuit it just protects the 10 amp circuit youv'e plugged into from having a meltdown.

Correct. Also as far as running all your gear you may get away with it with just the fridge and A/C but say you ran your A/C on heat then added a heater to the 240V fixed wiring in the van plus boiled the jug for a cuppa than you will get up near the 15A.

twscoot

Jun 9, 2013
Brisbane
The equation to remember is:

P=VI or...

Power = volts x amps

So....

2400 (watts) = 240 volts x 10 amps

Anything (combined) over 2400 watts will most likely trip a 10 amp circuit breaker.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I suppose it would be good to have one ( or build one) for those times camping at showgrounds and you only have 10 amp sockets to plug into, then when it trips you can reset but then I'm not usually the one who blows the breakers in the middle of the night and leaves no power till morning................I have blown the 15amp trip in the middle of winter forgot I had the 240v HWS on with a heater and AC heat, it was -3c.

Reactions: yabbietol

macca

(aka maccayak)
Mar 20, 2012
Victoria
I have one of those orange ones for home use, mainly to charge battery. Just remember to turn hot water service off if you don't need it. Easy one to forget.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
Yeah I left HWS on first time we back home, lucky I washed my hands and noticed.
We got ours at the show on special I prob heading to my sisters other place down Boolara when they get it to a stage for visitors. (toilet and shower he he)

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Along with the gas I always turn off my HWS as I don't want to burn the thing out when I plug in without water, not sure if it has a trip circuit but I prefer safe than sorry.

Reactions: MDS69

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
@axl That's where I ordered mine from.
Very good service, it arrived today.. (having said that, they're only 10 minutes from home anyway)

So far so good, I have a dedicated 15A outlet in my garage next to the van and underneath that outlet is a 10A one. I've just plugged in the ampfibian to the 10A outlet and plugged the van in.
Went into the van and turned the rooftop AC on, no dramas. I'll be doing some more testing to find the limits of what I can and can't run simultaneously very soon.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
I have been running a 10A plug on the end of my 15A lead for some time.

I did notice that it seems to have got a little hot running the A/C over christmas, so I have just put a 15A plug back on the end, and have made up a short lead with a 15A socket on one end and a 10A plug on the other for use at home.

Cost about $12.00

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
I have been running a 10A plug on the end of my 15A lead for some time.

I did notice that it seems to have got a little hot running the A/C over christmas, so I have just put a 15A plug back on the end, and have made up a short lead with a 15A socket on one end and a 10A plug on the other for use at home.

Cost about $12.00

Can I please ask that you throw your little adaptor in the bin otherwise you may need to call on your profession. What you have made is illegal. You don't have over current protection which is what the amphibian product does have. There is nothing stopping you from inadvertantly drawing over 10A which is what your standard GPO is rated at and having the lot go up in smoke for the sake of a few bucks.

Bellbirdweb

Jan 24, 2014
Sydney
Can I please ask that you throw your little adaptor in the bin otherwise you may need to call on your profession. What you have made is illegal. You don't have over current protection which is what the amphibian product does have. There is nothing stopping you from inadvertantly drawing over 10A which is what your standard GPO is rated at and having the lot go up in smoke for the sake of a few bucks.

@MDS69 the over current protection is still provided via the circuit breaker on the power circuit as it would be if any other appliance plugged into it.

RCD protection is also provided via the domestic power circuit.

Because the adaptor is only used to provide battery charging for the van whilst its in storage at home it won't be approaching anywhere near 10A, so very happy I won't need to call on my colleagues for assistance.

When out in the field, I only use the 15A cable (even my generator has 2 x 15A outlets)