17' Series Microwave Fire

bellejohanna

Aug 31, 2014
Learned something the other day when I had a RCD that continually tripped.

When you switch something off at the power point, the device can still be live as you only isolate the active with the neutral wire still being live. The only way to ensure the device is not live is to unplug it. Any sparkies out there care to expand.
Hello all thought I would jump in here as I used to be a sparky in a former life . This is from memory but im 99% positive that all portable buildings including caravans have to be wired to aus standard 3001 that states all switches have to be double pole, that is switching both positive and neutral conductors as this safe guards against reversed extension leads

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Lucky guys, that polystyrene is not something you wanna be around when it burns.

What microwave was it the older grille style or the newer black glass unit?

Griffo

Apr 15, 2014
Royalla, NSW
Thanks Sparkies.

So if its wired properly then both active and neutral are isolated but what if I just by an additional power point at Bunnings and do it myself. I say this as many mods are carried out by forum members themselves.

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
Thanks Sparkies.
So if its wired properly then both active and neutral are isolated but what if I just by an additional power point at Bunnings and do it myself. I say this as many mods are carried out by forum members themselves.

as game as I am to try and do mod's without stuffing them up.............
cannot see it
cannot smell it
but DAYAM will you feel it..............

Elektrikery is definitely a NO NO as far as I am concerned.............
I would rather leave it to the guys who are qualified and pay them............

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
Thanks Sparkies.

I don't believe Bunnings carries double pole power points, but its not worth it mate. Its so easy to make a small mistake that can ruin way more than just your van.

Reactions: dagree and bigcol

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
I am not advocating people who don't understand electrics goes playing with it, but Keep in mind the system Jayco use for power points is a plug and play system? There is no wiring involved.

bigman0510

Apr 9, 2011
Moranbah, Queensland, Australia
moranbahweather.com
I am not advocating people who don't understand electrics goes playing with it, but Keep in mind the system Jayco use for power points is a plug and play system? There is no wiring involved.

There are a lot of other things to consider even with plug and play, where you run the cables, load balancing etc. It just has to be said is all.

Reactions: bigcol and achjimmy

Griffo

Apr 15, 2014
Royalla, NSW
Thanks for the advices guys but it was a rhetorical question. No intention of doing it myself but more of a statement of what if !!

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
No 240V work for me (Maybe played around with it many moons ago)... Lucky for me I have 5 licensed sparkies working for me so no need for me to even contemplate doing it myself...... It's amazing what you can get done for a few coldies after work 8-)

bigcol

Nov 22, 2012
Swan Valley Perth
mate of mine is a sparkie, when he came to fit a 15A socket out the back, he suggested I get the house done, as when it was built in 2000 it was legal, however they had changed the Law since then.........

so he only charged me for Parts (new 100A circuit breaker and 2 x 32A ones........)
(which I managed to get cheaper through a supplier I used at work)

I had to supply cups of Tea every 1/2 hour................. or else he would charge me $$$$$$$$

good deal I thought