16' Series Melbourne to Queensland

darcy305

Jul 24, 2011
Meadow Heights
Hi All,
We are heading off to the gold coast on Boxing day -" Finally", My question to everybody is, are we able to take fruit & vegies from vic through nsw into qld. We are going via the Newell Highway from Melbourne. Also what is banned and what is okay??

Thanks in advance

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Hi All,
We are heading off to the gold coast on Boxing day -" Finally", My question to everybody is, are we able to take fruit & vegies from vic through nsw into qld. We are going via the Newell Highway from Melbourne. Also what is banned and what is okay??

Thanks in advance
they used to stop everyone and look but now just a bin on side of road so do they really care but its good to play by the rules have a great trip long drive will be hot too have u planed ur stops

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
We drive to QLD every year, and I didn't know there were any restrictions. @darcy305 we're leaving xmas day for QLD, so you'll probably see us on the roadside throwing fruit from the van, or trying to eat it all just south of the border

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Forbes has some nice places to stop at and at Goondiwindi the Goondi Tourist Park is nice but a bit pricey. Make sure you refuel at Gilgandra as the fuel at Coonabarrabran and Narrabri is usually 10 to 15c/lt dearer than elsewhere. if your going to Surfers via the edge of Brissie using the toll roads your Vic toll dongle will work, otherwise you have to do the phone/internet thing.

If you use the woollies fuel app it gives a good indication of fuel prices in various towns even if you dont want their fuel.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.woolworths&hl=en

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/woolworths-fuel/id886560408?mt=8

Crusty181

Feb 7, 2010
Mentone, VIC
Hi all, stops have been planned we doing it over 2 nights 1st @ forbes, 2nd @ Goondiwindi then in to Surfers this our first big trip. Has been in planning for awhile now hopefully it will great trip. Kids are getting very excited!!
Where are you heading to in Surfers?

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Have you got the off ramp Exit Number for the place ?? Bugger if you miss it, if I recall it can be a bastard of an intersection when you get off the freeway, I may be wrong as it's been awhile.....................

chartrock

Forum Patriarch
Staff member
Sep 26, 2010
Gold Coast Hinterland
Depends on whether you are coming from the north or south. Coming from south 60 and if missed 57 will allow you to get back to it and vice versa if coming from the north, 57 and if missed take 60.

Reactions: Drover

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Hi All,

Thanks in advance

@darcy305,

We did the trip via the Newell Hwy and no issues with fruit & veg at Albury-Wodonga as there is the new freeway/bypass - makes a big difference. As others have said - don't take bananas, but still worth checking with the authorities for a definitive answer.

Our stops - West Wyalong, spent a few hours at Parkes @ "The Dish", then onto Dubbo (2 days & open range zoo), then a big day (8 hrs) to Warwick, then easy day into Gold Coast. Missed the horrid hills that are closer to the coast.

Have a great trip. You will get to see some very different country on your journey.

Regards,

Rohan

Reactions: Bluey

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Theyv'e detoured those mongrel hills on the coast as you get close to Gods Country now, all concrete.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
I think we took a wrong turn when we left Warwick in Sep and went through Cunninghams Gap. Lucky I was driving as I do not think Sarah knew she could manually drop down gears on her auto :) Not sure which was the correct road.. need to remember next time :)
I personally preferred the Newell to the coast way we came back on, I like going through the towns rather they dual highway.
Going through the outskirts of Sydney was not overly fun.

Reactions: Drover