Melbourne Caravan Show

Doogle

Mar 18, 2011
Melbourne, Victoria
We purchased our 17.56-1 at last years melb show and all the major van manufacturers (plus some) are all there and had quite an extensive range on show (particularly Jayco), who seemed to have almost every van onsite to look through....which we loved and helped us to decide.

You will need to be patient as there are people everywhere but there is so much to look at....to do it properly would need 2 days IMHO. Then there are all the accessories for vehicle and van to look at...OMG!

The show is one of their busiest times of the year for orders (obviously) so expect a lengthy wait...
Dave

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
www.expandasdownunder.com
Hahahahaha I still reckon ill get a better deal in Sydney so won't be spending anything just browsing and cataloging :)!!!

Credit card will be buried in concrete at home.

But I have ulterior motives as I am taking a Discovery shower toilet / bunks down with me for four days to test it out and see if it is enough for us and the kids before we commit to ordering the Discovery with bunks :) and will slot it in with the show at the same time!!!!!

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
We purchased our 17.56-1 at last years melb show and all the major van manufacturers (plus some) are all there and had quite an extensive range on show (particularly Jayco), who seemed to have almost every van onsite to look through....which we loved and helped us to decide.

You will need to be patient as there are people everywhere but there is so much to look at....to do it properly would need 2 days IMHO. Then there are all the accessories for vehicle and van to look at...OMG!

The show is one of their busiest times of the year for orders (obviously) so expect a lengthy wait...
Dave

Cheers mate, well prepared for the wait and would expect nothing less...

Think I will steer clear of accessories or the SWMBO may not let me return to the home state :tongue:

In my life I have spent 1 year waiting for Jayco deliveries to date.

Its a scary thought :) but one year of my life was spent waiting for a new van!!!!!

My order is pretty much sealed and on a particular run just doing this to test the waters with the Discovery and see if there is anything that compares and ticks all the boxes :)....

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
So is that the 17-55-5sh Discovery? If so i too am very interested in that model. Have to post up some pics for us to check out.

:focus:

expanda

Site Founder
Staff member
Dec 22, 2009
Western, Sydney....
Yep that's the one!!!!

Just concerned with the internal size, its the same size as the 17.56.2 but everything is inside the van as you don't have the pop out beds so you loose in that sense but as I have mentioned previously I like it for its simplicity in setup and just having everything indoors...

Also not sure on resale value as they are very hard to find, one dealer I speak to says he sells two a year and another says he sells a tonne of them but there is nothing on the second hand market and due to this mixed bag of responses it's hard to find a dealer who has one in stock to view.

I have been in one but it was in the middle of being shipped from dealer to dealer so I could only get in it briefly and couldn't get the roof put up so hopefully in Melbourne they will have one setup and I can also compare prices!!!

Attached some pics :clap2:

pop_plan_disc_17_55-5sh_lg.jpg15eIMG_3785.JPG16fIMG_3807.jpg17gIMG_3806.JPG19IMG_3696-2.jpgResized640x480_DSCF2635.JPGResized640x480_DSCF2637.JPG

And no i am not obsessed with this model :)....

Moto Moto

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Mar 15, 2011
The Gong
I would prefer it if the made the bunks fixed and having a seperate dinette, even if it meant loosing a cupboard.

I have also made a few enquiries about this model and was told they are very rare, Jayco don't make many, and Jayco would not be interested in making any slight changes to the layout.

They are a fair bit cheaper than the same sized expanda too!

cruza driver

Hercules
Staff member
Nov 9, 2010
Mighty Victoria
We went a couple of years ago and it is a very busy show. Get there as the gate opens and you should be right and it also makes parking easier or be prepared for a nice (big) walk.

I like the show at Sandown it doesn't seem to be so hustle and bustle. I know that doesnt help you though Expanda ;)

The Discovery looks good to mate :first:

Let us know if you decide to go too.................

mfexpanda

Apr 1, 2011
Brookfield, Vic
fantastic show generally get there I think before 11 and parking is free.. Fantastic for ideas and booklets for destinations if ordering a new van do your hoemwork get prices to see what the prices are and compare to see what you are really saving and then see if you can get a better deal. Take your own sandwiches food is pricey but coffee was about $3.40 or $4.00 a cup which is about normal

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
We bought our expanda at the show. As mfexpanda said, homework is the key. Especially if you are certain you are going to end up with a deal by the end of the day.