Toy Hauler 'MARS' our work n play

andrew nelson

Jan 6, 2015
Glenden
Been a bit quite between work and getting out and using. Lots of ideas but not very many mods. Just love using it for what it's made for :)

Attachments

• IMG_6212.JPG
    IMG_6212.JPG
    821.4 KB · Views: 255
Reactions: dagree and Smergen

baydenna

Jun 23, 2016
Toowoon Bay
Great little spot camping at St George. Lovely people
Hi Andrew,

I see the prado in the background... Is that what you tow with?? We are looking at getting a new tow rig and are completely confused as to what to get ahhhhh. Your thoughts on the prado would be great.

Thanks,
Scott

andrew nelson

Jan 6, 2015
Glenden
Hi Andrew,

I see the prado in the background... Is that what you tow with?? We are looking at getting a new tow rig and are completely confused as to what to get ahhhhh. Your thoughts on the prado would be great.

Thanks,
Scott
Hey Scott, yeah we have a 2010 prado. It does a reasonable job. We had the ECU map done on ours about 6 thousand k's ago and has made a pretty big difference. We didn't get the full power upgrade because we had 250k on the clock already, and just being cautious.
We put airbags under the rear which made towing that much better compared to using load levellers for us. Like most of the auto tow rigs most of the time in 4th but if I have a good bit of highway it doesn't mind 5th and 100-110.
As you can see out work n play is a dual axle thing, and with out the ensuite comes just under the 2500kg towing capacity. Fuel wise the best I've managed to do is about the mid 15's, but generally mid 17's/100km is what I get.
We like it and it suits us, we have 4 kids so needed the room. There are other cars that would tow better but you cant knock a Toyota :)
If you want to know anything in particular let me know.
Cheers

baydenna

Jun 23, 2016
Toowoon Bay
Hey Scott, yeah we have a 2010 prado. It does a reasonable job. We had the ECU map done on ours about 6 thousand k's ago and has made a pretty big difference. We didn't get the full power upgrade because we had 250k on the clock already, and just being cautious.
We put airbags under the rear which made towing that much better compared to using load levellers for us. Like most of the auto tow rigs most of the time in 4th but if I have a good bit of highway it doesn't mind 5th and 100-110.
As you can see out work n play is a dual axle thing, and with out the ensuite comes just under the 2500kg towing capacity. Fuel wise the best I've managed to do is about the mid 15's, but generally mid 17's/100km is what I get.
We like it and it suits us, we have 4 kids so needed the room. There are other cars that would tow better but you cant knock a Toyota :)
If you want to know anything in particular let me know.
Cheers

Hey Andrew,
Thanks for the comprehensive reply. Always good to hear that sort of feedback from people that tow the same sorts of weights as us. Much appreciated!