Manual/Auto

17triton

Feb 24, 2013
Ballarat
We bought a manual in the triton they have 50nm more torque. But when I have a hill start I would like an auto. I tow in 4th too.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
First auto in 4wd for us and love it, as mentioned hill starts no problem and use box as manual when needed. Our last 4b was manual and used to give the clutch a hard time towing.

relgate

Superstar
Staff member
Feb 2, 2012
Sydney, NSW
The BT50 has a braked hill start (I'm told)
I like auto. These days they are great.
Switch to manual mode down hills.
Auto is at it's best in city driving.

CJ1177

Jan 28, 2013
Newcastle
www.facebook.com
Auto for me too, I find it much easier to reverse the van into a difficult spot much easier with the auto, on off the clutch pushing a heavy trailer isn't much fun.
same for when your off the black top, there is no loss of momentum that you get with a manual & sometimes you really need to keep that momentum going

Matty4

Mar 18, 2011
Wandin North, Vic
Auto all the way for towing.
My previous car (Ford Territory) I used to use the PERF mode and lock out 6th, but the Jeep doesn't seem to mind just being left in D.

Most modern cars have pretty efficient trans cooling so I wouldn't let that be the over-riding condition of your decision.
My Jeep has a trans temp display and it barely moves a couple of degrees when towing, only when on a long climb on a hot day will it climb, but once at the top it drops back to normal within a couple of minutes.

jeff

Mar 4, 2013
200km south of Perth
I prefer manual, better braking downhill, better towing on an uphill incline ( I found the auto used to rev a lot more but would do nothing ) and if you need a better uphill start, put it into 4 wheel drive, won't hurt on a straight bit. Over drive, 5th gear is a no-load gear & should be used when towing

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
I much prefer the auto too, and switch between manual mode and D as needed.
But both the pathy and Disoc were/are 'learning' vehicles which meant if left in D whilst towing, it would naturally rev higher under load, and then 'learn' that that is they way I drive and then keep doing it. So after unhitching, it would still rev higher before a gear change until it again learned I changed my driving style. I'm told using the manual mode while towing can over come it, but I can't figure it out :D :doh:

Brettmc

Oct 18, 2012
Perth
Auto for me as well put it in sports mode and forget, it does not go into overdrive and tows a 17.56-2 very well . There is no lugging or high reving of the engine unless you are going up a steep hill or long incline . Auto gear boxes have come a long way since the 80s and with lock up torque converters now they are comparable to many manuals in fuel consumption and power delivery now.

AzHaych

Mar 15, 2013
Beaconsfield, Vic
Auto for me, no question. When I was deciding between the Amarok, STX550 and the Hilux I took all three for a drive and at the time the Amarok didn't have the auto and I was really disappointed in its drivability. I then took the 550 for a drive and apart from the obvious difference in grunt, it was the 7 speed auto that sold it for me. When I'm towing it is in Drive and i just set cruise control and it just purs along at 105 doing 1800rpm. On a downhill I just slip it across into Sports and it automatically downshifts under load or when you get on the brake.
CJ1177 made a good point about reversing which bought back old memories of a manual Ford ute that I had with a heavy clutch that took all the fun out of reversing into a tight spot.
Az

BaxnRach

Apr 5, 2013
Cobram Vic
My PX Ranger, Manual, has hill start, awesome torque at idle (no throttle to take off even with the van on and uphill) so no clutch punishment. Not sure if my thinking is correct or not, but I feel as if I'm more in control with a manual.

icetechaus

Nov 21, 2012
And don't forget to check the maximum towing load allowed. I don't know about th4WD but with Falcons and Commodores it is greatly reduced if you get the manual.

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
My PX Ranger, Manual, has hill start, awesome torque at idle (no throttle to take off even with the van on and uphill) so no clutch punishment. Not sure if my thinking is correct or not, but I feel as if I'm more in control with a manual.

Good to hear BaxnRach I'm not overly excited with my PK Ranger Auto although I am still keen to trade up to a PX but cant make my mind up whether to stick with the Auto or go back to a Manual I would reckon 80% of my time on the road is spent with a trailer of some sort on the back