LT tyres?

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Morning all,
I have done about 70k Kms on the factory fitted Goodyear Wrangler tyres and will shortly have to replace them.
Firstly, I plan to increase the size from 255/65/17 to 265/65/17 - marginal increase in the rolling size but more importantly the larger size appears more popular and cheaper.
I have started to price various brands, sticking to companies such as Goodyear, Bridgestone, Pirelli,etc.
I don't go off road, other than campsite and the odd time on a boat ramp so off road capability is nice, but not important at the expense of road grip, noise etc.
Anyway, has anyone got experience of switching from standard tyres to LT tyres? I presume LT tyres would be better for the 300kg ball weight when towing the Basestation but what is the trade off?
Cheers, Paul

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Yep I always go to an LT construction. Bridgestone D697 might be worth considering. LT AT but very road friendly, do alright on dirt to just not mud but then not much does? My only criticism so far is they are going to be flat out making 55k on the cruiser but then again she is heavy. I also had great results with BFGs too but they may be a tad noisey for you? personally don't have a problem with tyre noise generally.

Smirke

May 9, 2014
Palmyra, WA
I have the Cooper ST Max (285/70 R17 ) on the patrol. They have done 70000km and still look good. I know people bag them (the coopers) alot, but we have had no problems with them, other than the price. I dont notice the noise at all, but then again I am driving a tank.

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
I agree with @achjimmy with D697 for your use. I have BFG in A/T but they are a little noisy as previously mentioned but suit our use.

burnsie

Jan 29, 2015
Perth
www.expandasdownunder.com
hi @pauljygrant we are running the Cooper AT3 LT 265/65/R17's and have clocked up about 20K's on them so far. They are really quiet on the road and seem to handle the off road not too bad except of course heavy mud (Thats where the winch comes in) but as an all round tyre they do the job.

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
D697's are the most obvious but only if they will at least last the same distance as my Wranglers! Will keep,researching over the next 5,000km's. Cheers for the comments and suggestions.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Had the D697's on the Prado for almost 3 years and 80,000+ K's and still got probably 5 - 10K left. Had Mickey Thompson ATZ's and BFG AT's before and happy with all three. Bridgestones have been the best for road noise and highway driving but the MT's were definitely the best offroad and for wear n tear.... Got over 100K from them before selling the cruiser and I reckon would have got another 20K out of them.

Reactions: bigcol

Robbie Reddog

Mar 25, 2015
Perth WA
Had BFG's on the cruiser when I bought it. Pretty good tyre and didn't have any problems with them. As they were getting old got a deal at the time and changed over to the Bridgestone 694 LT's which have done just over 70,000km. Did a trip around the block a few years ago which included towing a single axle jayco poptop around 1.7T and never had any issue with them. I'll probably upgrade to the new 697's once they're worn.

Reactions: dagree

pauljygrant

Apr 1, 2015
Adelaide
Glad to hear that they are capable of 70,000 so compares well with my current Goodyears.
I suppose the question is do LT tyres offer benefits over standard tyres - punctures, mileage, grip, weight rating, off road capability, price, availability......

crackacoldie

Jan 8, 2013
Newcastle NSW
Glad to hear that they are capable of 70,000 so compares well with my current Goodyears.
I suppose the question is do LT tyres offer benefits over standard tyres - punctures, mileage, grip, weight rating, off road capability, price, availability......
Definite weight carrying advantages with LT tyres

Robbie Reddog

Mar 25, 2015
Perth WA
I suppose the question is do LT tyres offer benefits over standard tyres - punctures, mileage, grip, weight rating, off road capability, price, availability.....

Personally I would go LT's over standard tyres. Better puncture resistance and more importantly load carrying ability.
I remember when I was getting the Bridgestones a guy had posted a cross section of a BFG LT v Bridgestone 694 LT.....
BFG on top and Bridgestone underneath
bfg v 694lt.jpg

peterg

Jan 17, 2015
warrnambool
I've got Toyo Open Country AT/II's 285/65/17'son my Cruiser. LT construction and after 58,000km they still have around 8mm of tread left. They have a 65,000km warranty. Ride quality is good. Mud clearance is reasonably good as long as it's not too sticky. And price is way cheaper than other brands!!!!!!!!!!

I've had Coopers, Bridgestone and Dunlops previously and they all have had their faults. Coopers couldn't handle 100km/hr on rough gravel roads (shredded the treads), Bridgestones only lasted 50,000km with 95% onroad use. and Dunlops well enough said there!

I'll be upgrading to 285/75/17 next time, extra 29mm of lift for minimal cost, just don't tell the missus!

I must remind people I usually choose to buy alternatives.