lost keys!

thornmob

Jul 12, 2011
Queensland
We've had our new expanda 17.56.2 outback since xmas and master 2 has "misplaced" the only set of keys. We have looked everywhere. Should we replace ALL the locks or can we call a locksmith out to cut new ones. Why is it when you buy a car you are given 2 sets of keys but van only 1.:drama:

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
You should have gotten 2 sets. Seems strange to get only one, give them a ring and ask them for the second set. BTW we got 2

Reactions: thornmob

gavin.davis59

Mar 21, 2011
Naracoorte.SA
I agree with Nispat,We got 2 sets. If they cant/wont supply a spare set I would seriously go down a keyed alike system if possible as I hate the current 6 key system.

stuartcarr2002

May 13, 2011
Sydney
Another option :)

colonial_brick.jpg

On a serious note, we got 2 set with our 2011 16 49-1. We did lock our in it once (both sets) and once the NRMA charged us to upgrade to premium cover to come out, we got another 3 door lock keys made up. (one on each of our car keyrings and one thay stays in the centre console)

Deano

Aug 10, 2011
Bargara, Qld
Two sounds like the go. And as for the pain of 50 different locks with 50 different keys, we just DYMO labeled the 4 digit numbers (See your key) on the outside of the compartments so you could go straight to that key. Should work for us.
Keys.JPG

thornmob

Jul 12, 2011
Queensland
thanks every one for posting the van is unlocked just cant be locked....we were given a set at handover with the warburton keyring when i rang today they said they always put second set in blue folder in van. ever since the day of picup we have only ever had one set never knew of a second set. it was always on my to list to get a second set cut,as it was such a pain with one set between us. we are getting all locks replaced either with same 5 or so key set up or changing it so all locks share one key. its a mystery as to where they are have over a week to find them before doing a 5 hour round trip.

Pace

Sep 16, 2011
melbourne
www.expandasdownunder.com
2 sets are the norm,1st heard of 1 set being supplied with van, yes too locked out of van :embarassed:though young boy fitted through the upper window to unlock.now a spare entry door key stays hidden on the van ,if anyone wants to in they really can effortlessly, hence the brick above!!!

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I got 2 sets also, but just a thought in how to get in, has anyone else ever raised an Alco drop jack too far in one corner of the van and noticed how it affects the alignment of the door?
In my van you can actually open the door without turning the handle when this happens.

thornmob

Jul 12, 2011
Queensland
HAHA funny that you mentioned that about the alignment of the door because the last time i had the keys was when this happened to us. one of the kids shut the door and then nothing.....door refused to open. so i called dealer he said to go into front locker space....yeah right thats tiny...but it worked he said then to give it a wack where it was stuck..i snapped some plastic. our handle is a pull out one. hubby said hed prob not aligned drop jack correctly.....also if we were given 2 sets one never made it home that day....if you knew the luck i have as a consumer you'd well understand the probability. all said and done we absolutely LOVE our expanda,so far we get away every second week.....gotta be happy with that.

NissPat

Jul 30, 2011
ACT
I got 2 sets also, but just a thought in how to get in, has anyone else ever raised an Alco drop jack too far in one corner of the van and noticed how it affects the alignment of the door?
In my van you can actually open the door without turning the handle when this happens.

Good tip Brad, will have to save this one in the memory bank. With kids, getting locked in is a high probability...LOL

thornmob

Jul 12, 2011
Queensland
ok keys have been located with the help of a phsycic!!! One too many wines and i left them in the zipper compartment of camping chair. amazing but still leaves me stumped as to where a second set is. Second set being cut as we speak also attaching an electronic key locator!

straydingo

Jul 4, 2011
Melbourne
Two sounds like the go. And as for the pain of 50 different locks with 50 different keys, we just DYMO labeled the 4 digit numbers (See your key) on the outside of the compartments so you could go straight to that key. Should work for us.
Careful, that makes it easier for anyone else also to quickly see what number you have and if theirs is the same.
When I had to replace a couple of locks on the swan, I grabbed them off the shelf and the local trailer shop, and then found each one was the same as what I already had. That was 5 years after the Swan was built. I don't know if it is the same for caravans, but in the building industry door and window locks can tend to be in a run for a period of time, so others can have the same front door key as you.
Maybe a colour code would be better?

We got two main sets, but 4 of one key, and only 1 of another...

Ha ha. The campers are like that. The doors have been known to 'mysteriously' open in the middle of the night when both beds have a pair of adults in them - it bends the whole unit and the door doesn't stay closed.

Turtle

Banned
Jan 23, 2011
Bathurst, NSW
Here's a copy of the email that Caravans Plus sent me.
Do you have a different key for your caravan door, water filler, toilet access, and boot handle?

There is now a solution that will let you open them all with one key!

CAMEC have just released a range of lock barrels which you can swap into your existing locks.

Our technical staff have written a short article on the different products and how you can install them yourself.

View our online article here:

http://caravansplus.com.au/catalog/help-one-key.php?view=14

CaravansPlus has been operating online since 2003 and has Australias largest range of caravan spare parts and accessories.