Journey Looking at buying the Journey Outback 19.63 or 22.68

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Hi All,
Planning to buy a Journey Outback. My budget and gut say the 19ft will be more than satisfactory, but the 22ft main bedroom design, and more storage is very tempting. However, it comes with the problem of increased weight, not to mention a higher price tag.
Planning a half lap next year (looks like the whole country may be travelling too!) and looking for a comfortable van that my wife and 3 kids will be satisfied / happy with.
So the extras that I am looking at are - (in no particular order)
grey water tank
washing machine
leatherette seating
rear bike rack
external shower with light
2x160 watt solar panel with J35C regulator
2x picnic tables
tripple bunk option
additional battery
reversing camera, single or dual?
pull out kitchen with sink, 2 burner with extra light
upgrade payload to 600kg
upgrade to pillow top mattress
DO35 coupling

If anyone has similar extras I would like to know what your TARE and ATM weights are?

Would like comments, opinions, thoughts on these extras and whether I have missed anything that I would need on an Aus trip?
Pros and Cons on the 2 model options as well please.

Thanks!

Cheers!

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Nice van you'd have there
Without knowing exactly, your ATM will be on excess of 3T. That's for the 22ft outback model

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
www.expandasdownunder.com
We have a 22" Touring the island bed is great no climbing over each other like the 17.58. if your happy with climbing over you save size, maybe $$ and weight.
Have a few extras as ex display Drifter, 3 tanks, entertainment, 4 bike rack, Solar, Washing machine, upgraded chassis/underslung.
3 tanks came in handy, we carry a bucket if we need to keep grey water. Depends where you are a lot of places low on water do not mind the grey.
Depends on how much free camping you do as well with water.
Washing Machine is great with kids.. cannot really use free camping even with an inverter as they use a bit of water
Bike rack is mounted high, I need a ladder to put on and its a pain to get 4 to fit.. Something to think about do you put a rack on the front or carry bikes on car
Have no picnic tables on the van was looking to put one on, never have as already had a small fold up table we can move around.
Same as we got a smaller sizzler BBQ and was going to put a slide out for it. Then decided it end up next to awning leg/annex so again put on a stand when used.
Solar we have 150w and one battery seemed to last ok for lights, TV and CPAP when we free camped. Have no inverter so only run 12v DC which helps.
Fridge wise you happy with 3 way?

We put a Safety Dave camera in happy with it.

Weight wise we have a touring with upgraded chassis and comes in 2780. Ball weight around 260kg loaded.
If you have the pull out kitchen that push up the ball weight. Ball weight on Jayco's is Tare TBM . a 3 tonne van going to be around 270-300kg
With our D4 if we take the van loaded and push up the ball weight we get very close to GVM.
Maybe an extended drawbar something to think of to try to lower it? I read it helps..

We have dinette have a kid on their as 4 kids.. the L shape with the gas leg would off been better and make the back half more open.
Pros and Cons with both maybe go have a look. We ended up putting the new gas leg on dinette.

Tried to put a DO35 on ours did not fit unless we cut the cross beam for the handbrake.
Other people had no problems so might be something to watch if it does not already have one.

Reactions: Lozza T and KECL

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Thanks @damemc for your response.
If I go for the touring model 22.68 it weighs less than the 19.63 Outback. I suppose its worth considering.
Do you take your 22ft van off the bitumen? Have you been restricted on where you could take the van?
I assumung the underslung helps. Any chance of a picture.

With the bike rack, I may just do the 3 rack in the back and if its a full family mountain bike trip then I will throw the extra 2 other bikes on the Car roof.

Is the 2780kg your Tare, or is it the weight of the van and most if your gear and food etc?

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Not to far off road. Only on road 14” tyres ;)
Been down a few dirt tracks and slight corrugated.

2780 is ATM Tare 2305. So yes 3 water tanks and gas you are hitting ATM as well.

When we got our van there was not as many manufactures around with bunk vans.
You find a lot of places now and new some cheaper then Jayco. Although warranty wise Jayco still king. Heard a few stories from people brought other vans of getting run around.
Weight wise again look around you see a few lower weight vans.

You can look at our page link
Good luck look around you can find some deals

http://www.expandasdownunder.com/threads/dave-and-sarahs-starcraft-22-68-1.7588

Reactions: Drover

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
WillowRV be worth a look
JB Caravans seems good

When we looked in 2015 around Jayco $ there was Kokoda, Supreme, New Age, Nova and Crusader.
A lot of smaller places did bunks only via special order.
New Age would not do any mods to vans for 4th bed etc and sales guys gave me the &(*(&*. They did the old price going up next week $5k sign today and we throw in a cover :(
Kokoda I was worried they go under.. Think they did :)
Almost brought a Crusader although found a display Starcraft at Mount Gambier I think $52k?? with extras saved $9k on it compared to RRP.

Last show I went to $50k 2020 $ get you a triple bunk on road van new from a lot of places. Probably all made from the same place he he
A lot of manufactures who did not do a bunk van now do 3-4 compared to 2015.
Example no idea who this place is :) $50k before bartering
https://www.caravancampingsales.com...aravans-special-edition/OAG-AD-18725146/?Cr=0

$ wise Jayco gone up in price. You get a better long term warranty with a Jayco..
Although still think the finish is falling behind
Honestly after all these years you think they pay 1 cent more for a longer screw to hold cupboards in :)
or put a one way valve in the shower to stop water coming up after you empty the sink
etc etc
They are made for a price. .Although a lot of people making them cheaper now.

Looking new
New 22" OB $74k.. we paid I think $53k for a touring loaded in 2015.. OB Was only $4k diff back then. Still nearly $20k more
https://www.caravancampingsales.com...rney-22-68-1-ob-jy-my20/OAG-AD-18750863/?Cr=3
New 19" OB $68
https://www.caravancampingsales.com...ney-19-61-3-ob-jy-my20/OAG-AD-18711732/?Cr=43

The other thing if your happy S/H a lot of people spec'd up van then 18 months later been on 2 trips and sell them.

Reactions: Lozza T

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
I dont feel confident looking at other manufacturers. Jayco seems to be the safe option and better re-sale value. Has anyone had good results with selling their Jayco? And on the flip side does anyone know people who have had difficulties in trying to sell other brands?

Reactions: WHHEMI

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Dometic compressor fridge upgrade. Im looking to get rid of the microwave and getting a bigger fridge. Only fridge bigger is the compressor fridge which is not a 3 way.
The 180L fridge in the Expanda on gas was great. 9kg of gas would give me at least 8 days of free camping and thats using the gas cooker and the Weber.
Not sure if the 320w solar and 2x120 amp batteries will be able to handle the compressor fridge for 2 weeks? Any thoughts?

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
Definitely get the compressor fridge upgraded. The newer models are very very efficient these days.
The more solar the better. Minimum 500w, but in saying that the J35C is limited to 450w so go as Max as you can. Double solar wattage to your battery amperage.

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Ok, going thru my options list and asking the question do I really need it?
External Shower $378
Increase payload to 600kg $659
DO 35 Coupling $450

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
If you're asking us, everyone will have a different answer.
I didn't get external shower on my van, didn't see any need for it.
Payload increase, was aware jayco charged for it. But if pays to have as high a payload as you can get.
Do you intend on doing some tricky off road tracks that will require some weird articulation of the hitch? If so, the do35 hitch will be handy. Otherwise just stick with the standard hitch. You can always, change it later on yourself.
I myself like the look of the Hitch-ezy

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
I agree with the shower. If anyone needs to wash sand of feet etc then we could use the tap on draw bar. Otherwise I dont see any reason to shower outside when we have an ens.
I am not sure about doing tricky tracks. Most likely not.
Would the DO35 be better for security from theft??

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
Payload $600 now or a pain later.. might be worth it.

People can chain up the A Frame to take it with a lock anyway so they can grind off later
or cut wheel clamps or chains.
I know people set things for the brakes to come on which probably slow people down
Or GPS hidden. An old IPhone 4s and above find my friends has Geo Fencing and a $15 a year SIM from ALDI :)

We wanted a DO35 mainly just to put the van away going up a sleep slope. Brought one did not fit unless we did surgery to A Frame.

Shower had one in 17-58 hardly used, took up a lot of storage space inside as they put it under a bunk almost in the centre of the space :(
With the pipes out from it made the storage space a waste. I also just looked at it something else to leak.
The 22 you loose some wardrobe space normally and I think the 19 it is under the bed.
https://www.caravancampingsales.com...ire-van-19-61-3-ob-16sc/OAG-AD-16164043/?Cr=6
Hence use drawbar and have a curly hose :)
Our third tank filler takes out most of the small cupboard near the foot of the bed as it is :(
Really never understood why you have a filler and pipes go through the side of the van to get under it to the tanks.
Just something else to leak and all the pipes take up inside storage space.
You think there just be hose connection point to connect to under the van.

Reactions: Lozza T

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
I like the idea of a spare phone with cheap sim!
I agree, I am going to drop the ext shower. I may replace it though with a couple of Sirrocco fans, about $200 each.
I am thinking one at the main bed end and one in the rear facing the 3 bunks. I have seen some vans have a fan to each bunk. Is this an overkill?
I will keep the extra payload in and will see what the dealer can do about the hitch.
I like the idea of removing the tank fillers from the side of the van. It makes perfect sense to have it all under the van, especially on an Outback where it is higher to gain access under. Not only less chance of leaks but less chance of breaking those plastic doors.

Lozza T

Aug 13, 2016
Melbourne
Definitely get the compressor fridge upgraded. The newer models are very very efficient these days.
The more solar the better. Minimum 500w, but in saying that the J35C is limited to 450w so go as Max as you can. Double solar wattage to your battery amperage.
The Dometic RUC 216L Compressor fridge https://www.dometic.com/en-au/au/pr...ors/dometic-ruc-8408x-_-152738#specifications
Has a consumption average of 1.02 kWh (85Ah) per 24 hours. Therefore according to a solar calculator (my generator.com) a 2 x 160W (320W) with unobstructed sunlight of 6 hours day will collect 85Ah.
So therefore I will need more solar panels but Jayco only do a max of 2 panels. I have a 250W Kings blanket that I can add which will total 570W of solar and collect approx 142Ah. Would it matter that the J35C is limited to 450w? Or do I just connect the blanket directly to the batteries?
I will have 2 x 100Ah AGM (installed by Jayco) which means I will have access to 50% of the AH being 100Ah. If the fridge uses 85Ah and say 15Ah for other electrical items, therefore I would need another battery, especially if there is days of cloud cover.
Am I better off removing the 2 AGM batteries after delivery and replacing with a 200W Lithium? I have seen some vans with 2x 150W Lithiums. Will the Lithium battery be compatible with the battery management system in the van?
It seems to upgrade the fridge there will be considerable other costs involved? Are the compresser fridges that good? Other than the benefit from increased size, do they produce less heat therefore keeping the van cooler?
Is it hard to get gas bottles filled in while doing a trip of Aus? 2x9kg gas bottles on a 2 week trip with free camping was more than enough. I am assuming it makes it easier while travelling not having to worry about gas etc.

Brente1982

Oct 7, 2019
Epping
You can install more solar panels.
These are the panels jayco use Here
You can install an additional if you like as they will fit on the journey roof quite easily. Im not sure what the upgrade cost for the fridge in the Journey is, but i opted for a compressor fridge upgrade in my ordered Expanda and it was $100
I'm installing my own solar/charging setup, which is costing a lot. The J35C isn't compatible with Lithium batteries. Some lithium batteries are claimed to be drop-ins, but they will never see a proper charge without a proper lithium algorithm.

If you dont opt for the compressor fridge upgrade, you need to be mindful that the 3way fridge will use your gas bottles a lot quicker if you intend to do free camping. Obviously its a non concern when in a caravan park connected to mains power. Same goes for the 2way. Its not hard to get gas bottles filled, but it does get more expensive depending on your location. They dont have a bunnings everywhere to do a cheap swap and go.

They are all hard decisions to make. It all comes down to how much you're willing to spend and how much you plan to spend off-grid.
My additional installation will set me back around $5k. Keeping the J35C but disconnecting it from the power point so it purely supplies 12v power. And a victron MPPT and 240V charger will be installed along with 2 victron lithium batteries plus 525w of solar panels.

davemc

Oct 29, 2013
Viewbank, Victoria
if you are thinking to go Lithium and more solar maybe get some quotes beforehand
The solar Jayco put in is ok, not hard to get someone to add more..
Although if you plan to replace regulator and batteries then it will cost more as you need to sell the Jayco ones etc.
Does the dealer do Lithium or have someone who does? Get without and add for pickup.

Yes be nice to put water underneath I know others have and removed the pipes and filled the floor.