Electrical LITHIUM BATTERIES - THE POWER AND DANGER WITH WATER

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Many variations of lithiums and they all can go nasty, good topic to bring up, AGM/GELs seem to be the safest of the lot, the old lead acid used to scare the crap out of me when on a charger, one blew up on a parked truck one down from mine once, had me ducking for cover, if I had parked in the bay beside it I would have been in big trouble but luckily wanted some shade ..................... Acid would have got me.....

I see they have a new extinguisher a F-500 which is for Lithium Fires as well as A,B,F class fires ............. but they display small batteries in all the vids so if it was a big bugga I think I would be running................ bit like fighting a magnesium fire, can be scary.... if one in a van goes then you will certainly loose the lot as you wouldn't be able to contain it, same with a vehicle I believe....... I don't think I would like vehicle charging overnight in a garage actually.......

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
I can't afford an E Scooter so an EV is way out there, I don't leave my phones or laptop charging when Im not around and if I ever went to solar with batteries I think a little battery shed might be in order just in case and made out of Firecheck or something similar.

Had a few batteries for phones/laptops and stuff expand over the years so turfed them even my Nighthawk when running on battery and charging gets up to 60 deg then shuts itself off, I just run it without the battery to be safe and even then it will run at about 46 deg, cover removed and in a rack to give it some airflow so these electrical devices run hot.

Reactions: Hitting the road

Hitting the road

Jan 14, 2022
Brisbane
It can be of concern that the 12v automotive type Lithium batteries are still relatively new technology and there is little history with them as to safety aspects...certainly in the numbers we now see.

Small phone and computer Lithiums have been around for a couple of decades now, slightly different construction but same technology, but still see reports of batteries self destructing along with the device they were fitted to.
These e-scooters and e-skateboards are a worry, I would not have one in my house. I think the worry is that kiddies are in control, and are the ones usually plugging them in to charge them up....with no idea basically.

Though there have been the odd EV go up in smoke too taking half the house with them. I like Drover do not entertain ever parking one of them in my garage.
Vans & RV's are getting some serious electrical capacity in them now...not as ridiculous as EV's at 400v, but still getting up there with wattage, voltage and amperage.

I do have Lithiums in my van now, so be interesting to see how they work out. I honestly don't think the results will be much different to the AGM's I had...they worked fine off grid when needed, I expect these Lithiums to be no different...just a third of the weight...

Last edited: