LED lighting help

Geoff

Mar 29, 2012
Ipswich, QLD
Hi all. I have decided to change to led lights even though we mostly stay at powered sites. I find the incandesent bulbs a bit too dull and would like something a bit brighter and allow us to stay in unpowered sites occasionally at national parks etc.

I have been reading all of the previous threads but have some questions.
1. Type of led - flat panel type or bulb type.
2. Power/ brightness - 3528 or 5050
3. Number of leds per bulb/ panel. I am leaning towards 32 or 48 for the main roof lights.

I am also leaning towards the type with T10 connector directly on the panel/bulb.

I would appreciate hearing from people who have changed to leds with a run down on the above and if you are happy with the size.
Regards
Geoff

Capt. Gadget

Obsessive & Compulsive Gadget Man
Dec 1, 2011
Busselton W.A.
bbmwa.com.au
I have 32LED flat panel ones (3528) on the main roof lights 5000k (Cool white) and I wouldn't say they are any brighter than the incandescent ones, although the whiter light makes it a little easier to see, they certainly use a lot less power and are not as hot. If you use them you need to replace the double sided tape with some good quality 3m tape as the stuff on there is hopeless. The strip of 5050's I bought for the outside is a far brighter LED

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Hi all. I have decided to change to led lights even though we mostly stay at powered sites. I find the incandesent bulbs a bit too dull and would like something a bit brighter and allow us to stay in unpowered sites occasionally at national parks etc.

I have been reading all of the previous threads but have some questions.
1. Type of led - flat panel type or bulb type.
2. Power/ brightness - 3528 or 5050
3. Number of leds per bulb/ panel. I am leaning towards 32 or 48 for the main roof lights.
I am also leaning towards the type with T10 connector directly on the panel/bulb.
I would appreciate hearing from people who have changed to leds with a run down on the above and if you are happy with the size.
Regards
Geoff

I certainly prefer the T10 with the integral connector. Most of mine are super bright 5050 LEDS so only 6 or 8 LEDS not dozens of little ones per lamp. My measure of brightness is that Mrs XF and I (with old eyes) must be able to read by them at night, which we can comfortably do. Worth searching around for. I got my downlights from Bright Light Auto Parts in Ferntree Gully (Vic) and the door handgrip lamp from an auto parts place.
I had LED's on my Swan and Flamingo OB so have tried a few variants over the years.
Very happy, and only downside is people thinking my Expansda's a 7-Eleven when all lit up.

Reactions: Billrw136

Holden_man

Aug 21, 2012
Brisbane - Carindale
Hi Geoff, I have replaced all my halogen bulbs with 32 5050 SMD panels in cool white. They are great. If you are running by carindale you are welcome to drop in and have a look. I got mine of eBay for about $3 per unit. I have a couple 48's but haven't put them in because they are not really necessary. Regards HM

Geoff

Mar 29, 2012
Ipswich, QLD
Thanks for your comments gents.
Going to the Brissy show next week so will be armed with info and hopefully can do a deal. If not, then ebay is always there.
I will keep you posted on how I go.
HM, thanks for the offer. I wonder the difference, if any, between 32smd 5050 and 48smd 3528.

Burnsy

Mar 26, 2012
Newcastle
Hey Geoff, good luck at the show mate. I don't think they will come any where near the eBay price.....I have the flat 36's in ours for under $3ea delivered, takes 2-3 weeks.

Cheers.

Geoff

Mar 29, 2012
Ipswich, QLD
Good question billykidd. I saw 5 x t10 42 3528 for $6.95 incl delivery on ebay. Was so tempted, i have bought some. Delivery in a couple of weeks and will let you know.

billykidd

Apr 2, 2013
Brisbane
Thanks Geoff, am actually waiting on some from Hong Kong off eBay myself, but wonder why so many users opt for the flat sheets. The bulbs seem such an easier option.

Reactions: Geoff

Geoff

Mar 29, 2012
Ipswich, QLD
Hey Geoff, good luck at the show mate. I don't think they will come any where near the eBay price.....I have the flat 36's in ours for under $3ea delivered, takes 2-3 weeks.

Cheers.
G'day Burnsy. Thanks for info. I agree about better deals on ebay. I bought some bulb type - 42 3258 last night. 5 for < $7 delivered to try them because no-one has mentioned them yet. I would like to compare with the flat ones. No loss if they don't.
I am also after a battery deal at the show. I can get a 105ah deep cycle agm fullriver delivered for $320 so the show people will need sharp pencils! May come home with some solar panels and will need to hide them in the shed for a while. lol.
Cheers, Geoff

Reactions: Burnsy

ROnEM

Mar 13, 2012
Macedon Ranges, Vic
Geoff,

We went the warm white 5050 SMD 36 LEDS per panel with the optional connectors with the T10. We are all very happy with the brightness. Bought them from eBay - here in 8 days. Saw the same ones in packets at the Melb show for significantly higher prices. I like to buy local, but within reason. When retailers charge 5 to 10 times more, then you have to seriously think about where and how you are going to spend your hard earned coins!

Reactions: Xpandafan

Xpandafan

Seriously Likeable!
Aug 24, 2012
Kealba, Victoria
Is there a down side to putting in the bulb style LEDs ?
All LEDs light is aimed where you want the light. I used the flat plug in 6-LED lights (3 doubles & 2 singles) except for one round 9 LED one over dining table. I have same (flat 6)in the two reading lights at each end, and a 4 LED in the ensuite. The discoloration on the socket is from the original incandescent bulbs. Some of the lamps are in their third Jayco.

391691285.020064.jpg

Reactions: billykidd

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I used to have the LEDs that had the 3m tape backing.
over time the tape dried out with the heat.
so I swapped them over for non tape ones.

billykidd

Apr 2, 2013
Brisbane
Thanks XF, at least I only spent <$7 so if the bulb type aren't suitable it won't break the bank, and I can then get the flat ones.