leaking hot water system, grrrrrrr

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
hi all,
i have a bit of a problem.... arrived at Eden last night set up and noticed this morning water leaking out along the bottom of the wheel arch.
Turns out after investigation its coming from the cold inlet on the hot water system, i have taken off mains presure and released the pressure in the unit.
i can take the fitting of no probs but being the tank how much water will pour out?
would love some guidance if possible please rather than go in blind!
many thanks
Paul

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
yes and it did release a bit through the overflow but no where near 23lt!
perhaps with the pressue released and half a turn to tighten it might be ok? hmmm

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
Mine leaked. Turned out to be the brass fitting.
Back when it happened to me I just got a bucket and towel and mopped up as the water flowed out. While the hot water outlet hose was in place the flow of water was slow and manageable.
If I did it today I would look at removing the annode if I had a socket big enough. That way the water will just empty out on the outside.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
oh ok good thought brad, might try to nip it up a bit and see what happens, if no good will remive to outside and take the fitting off completely
thanks

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Well the nip was a compete snap of a poor quality brass fitting.....
The internal shaft of the fitting was a 10mm hex so with my trusty tool kit containing a long shank 10mm key I managed to remove the broken off threaded shaft.
Off to the plumbing suppliers in Bega tomorrow, hopefully they have one.
What a pain!!

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Well replacement made, hard to find the part as its actually a quick fit air line connection that was used on mine.
I have a plastic replacement and will get a brass one when home and swap out keeping the plastic as a spare. I am now wondering about the hot outlet now.... as it was faulty fittings is that one buggered? the sheering off of the broken one you could clearly see that it was faulty in the forming or moulding of the fitting.
Thanks again Brad for the great advice.
Paul

Reactions: cruza driver

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
Yes, it was clearly faulty!

Attachments

• 20140105_153151.jpg
    20140105_153151.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 244

Brad

Jan 2, 2012
Rowville, Victoria
I was told by the dealership that the reason why they crack is because the factory over tightens them when fitting in the first place and introduces a small crack that deteriorates over time.

leesy

Jul 26, 2012
Lysterfield
could be Brad, you could clearly see the fault line in this one, like the mould was buggered when manufactured, im going to replace the hot outlet one as well as if they were a faulty then chances are that one could be buggered too.

barney120

Dec 10, 2013
Kangaroo Valley
hey leesy, you need to look at zerosecta thread on page one headed "hot water floods van" and dont use jayco replacement fitting. There is better out there. Barney