Electrical Lead acid battery

BunchOfHunts

Jan 12, 2020
Melbourne
Hi. This is my first post

I just investigated my battery in my 2014 Expanda and noticed that I have a 100ah Lead Acid battery in there.
Obviously it would be better to have an AGM.
The current battery has been working fine. Do I need to change it?

Any advice appreciated.

Mick

Mar 15, 2014
Victoria
HI and welcome to the site
A little more information on the battery like what is it used for how its being recharged ?
if possible post a photo of it would help

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
Can you provide more details about your battery: brand, model number, and a photo of the battery and label?
AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) and gel batteries are both examples of VRLA (Valve Regulated Lead-Acid) batteries are the most common deep cycle batteries used in vans.

There is no point changing the battery if it is a sealed deep cycle battery and it is in good condition.

cheers
Mike

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Hi. This is my first post

I just investigated my battery in my 2014 Expanda and noticed that I have a 100ah Lead Acid battery in there.
Obviously it would be better to have an AGM.
The current battery has been working fine. Do I need to change it?

Any advice appreciated.

Hi @BunchOfHunts and welcome to the forum. Batteries come in 3 or 4 main types - all of which are lead acid (disregarding the later lithium type). All can be considered as a type of "deep cycle" but not all meet that requirement. In motor vehicles and trucks etc, you are most likely to see "wet" lead acid type, those with removable caps to add water . The next type is the "sealed" lead acid, basically the same as the "wet" lead acid, but sealed- no removable caps. These may have large capacity to store power, but are NOT really deep cycle. They are capable of producing large amounts of current for a short time only - like a sprinter in a race!
The real deep cycle types are the Gel type and the AGM type. Both these battery types are capable of producing current over a longer period - like a marathon runner. These are sealed (valve regulated really) and are the type usually used in vans and RV type vehicles. They all have different charging algorithms regarding charging voltages because the chemical make up of each is slightly different. Gel batteries have the electrolyte as a paste between the lead plates and AGM have the electrolyte in an absorbent glass mat between the lead plates. The "wet" and "sealed" type have liquid electrolyte sloshing around between the plates.
If your 2014 Expanda has the original battery, it will probably be a GEL. These are more expensive than the AGM and not as freely available as AGM type. If looked after, both can have a life of up to 10 years if not discharged below 50% capacity too often and charged up immediately. Better life is attained if only discharged to approx 70 to 80% capacity and promptly FULLY recharged. More info on your type can be provided by members when further info provided by you.

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
If you can take a pic of the labelling on your battery we can confirm its type as some labelling can lead a person to believe they have a wet battery and not a Gel or AGM, it may be it is a wet cell deep cycle battery, not ideal for inside use at all.........................

BunchOfHunts

Jan 12, 2020
Melbourne
Thanks heaps for the replies.

Looks like it is a wet type battery.

Guess this means I should go out and spend $400 on a proper AGM.

I've been recommended a Fullriver battery.

BunchOfHunts

Jan 12, 2020
Melbourne
If you can take a pic of the labelling on your battery we can confirm its type as some labelling can lead a person to believe they have a wet battery and not a Gel or AGM, it may be it is a wet cell deep cycle battery, not ideal for inside use at all.........................

I'm having trouble uploading pics as I'm in the Grampians at the moment.

The battery asks me to check electrolyte levels every 6 weeks, refill with demineralised water, and replace caps. It currently has no water in it.

mikerezny

Sep 11, 2016
Mount Waverley, VIC
I'm having trouble uploading pics as I'm in the Grampians at the moment.

The battery asks me to check electrolyte levels every 6 weeks, refill with demineralised water, and replace caps. It currently has no water in it.
Hi,
This is not a sealed lead acid battery and may not even be a deep cycle battery.
A non-sealed lead acid battery is not suitable for being inside a closed area since it is able to vent gasses into the living area which are dangerous and or explosive.
cheers
Mike

Reactions: Boots in Action

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Thanks heaps for the replies.

Looks like it is a wet type battery.

Guess this means I should go out and spend $400 on a proper AGM.

I've been recommended a Fullriver battery.

Hi @BunchOfHunts, a Full River AGM is a good battery but you are paying for the name and not necessarily for the performance. Many members on this forum have purchased this brand of battery at its premium price and most have been satisfied. However, there are now lots of other good batteries available at nearly half the price and double the warranty. Full River, the last I looked offered a 12 month warranty . The 130ah AGM I bought for my Daughter more than 2 years ago had a 2 year warranty and cost less than $230.00 delivered. Supposedly has German cells so purchased on that basis. Even if it did only last 5 years at worst case, and I had to buy another one at the same price, I would still be ahead of buying a Full River at double the price. Most are now manufactured overseas or China so it is only the manufacturing process that differs. Tread your own path.

BunchOfHunts

Jan 12, 2020
Melbourne
Hi @BunchOfHunts, a Full River AGM is a good battery but you are paying for the name and not necessarily for the performance. Many members on this forum have purchased this brand of battery at its premium price and most have been satisfied. However, there are now lots of other good batteries available at nearly half the price and double the warranty. Full River, the last I looked offered a 12 month warranty . The 130ah AGM I bought for my Daughter more than 2 years ago had a 2 year warranty and cost less than $230.00 delivered. Supposedly has German cells so purchased on that basis. Even if it did only last 5 years at worst case, and I had to buy another one at the same price, I would still be ahead of buying a Full River at double the price. Most are now manufactured overseas or China so it is only the manufacturing process that differs. Tread your own path.

Thanks

Has anyone posted about the King's AGM? I'm going to be buying some other stuff from them.

Boots in Action

Mar 13, 2017
Ferny Grove, Queensland
Thanks

Has anyone posted about the King's AGM? I'm going to be buying some other stuff from them.

@BunchOfHunts , I think you can probably do better on Ebay than at Kings. Have a look at the link provided below on the battery I bought for my Daughter - 135ah AGM with 2 year warranty. The write up is great but there can be no guarantee that all is true, but you have to believe some of it. Also, as these AGM batteries are spill proof , they are not declared hazardous to transport, so you can get them delivered to your door.
The second link can give you a wider choice with good batteries down as low as $200.00 . The standard guarantee is 12 months and if a battery is going to fail after fair work, it will do so within that time. After that, longevity will depend on how used (discharged) and how promptly recharged to full capacity - user operation. Take your pick see how much you want to pay.
Good luck.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4WD-SOL...-4WD-/351445755370?hash=item51d3cca5ea&_uhb=1

https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?...nkw=130+ah+agm+deep+cycle+battery&_sacat=6030

Reactions: BunchOfHunts