16' Series LATCH BROKEN SEE PIC

thomo67

Oct 30, 2012
Has anyone had the problem with the latch coming away?
(see pic attracted )
it's out of warranty now
it has not been over adjusted or anything like that
i went to our our local jayco dealer he cant give me any advise on how or what to do to fix it
the only advise he gave me was to contact jayco and see if they will give me good will on repairs
i explained to him that i just need to get it repaired even if i pay for it
i get the feeling they just only want to do a repair and get paid by jayco factory
i know everyone has very good things to say about the dealerships around the place but this is what i expected from out local dealer i have seen this before from them ( no service)
anyway i did not post to bitch about them i just want to fix it and move on
anyway anyone recommend what i need to fix ?
i.e glue or something like this
also if it has not been hit with anything either
LATCH.jpg

thanks

MDS69

Jul 6, 2014
Ouch. Sorry no idea but interested to see the solution when you get one.
Edit: the only thing I can think of is a plate say 80 x 150 riveted to the wall with a suitable amount of sikaflex to spread the load.

Reactions: Pace

thomo67

Oct 30, 2012
Ouch. Sorry no idea but interested to see the solution when you get one.
Edit: the only thing I can think of is a plate say 80 x 150 riveted to the wall with a suitable amount of sikaflex to spread the load.
thanks for the reply
i have thought about that i am just seeing there are other ideas out there see what other people might come up with or might have had it before

Axl

Dec 23, 2014
Brisbane/Bayside
Someone on here had one of their awning arms torn off in a storm and they plated it with some alloy checker plate using rivets and sika from memory, looks great and probably stronger than original I would be doing some thing like that.

Ill see if I can find the thread.

dagree

Mar 3, 2012
Perth. WA
Quick step by step fix I did......
1. Remove all screws and fittings.... Remove any protruding timber/splinters.
2. Cut out a section of aluminium plate shaped to fit, preferably up to the top moulding (White powder coated if fussy!)
3. Position plate where required and drill holes to suit (I manged to get 2 of the 4 in the ali framework. Hence my comment "Up to the top moulding")
4. Fill the hole with liquid nails or similar.
5. Position the plate in situ and screw in place before the liquid nails sets.
6. Mark and drill holes for new latch.
7. Sikaflex holes and area where latch is to be located and screw latch in place.
8. Leave for 24 hours... Grab a beer and make sure it works ;)

Hope the above helps!

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Instead of liquid nails, it goes brittle use No More Gaps, sticks like the proverbial and is flexible, won't go brittle.....get stainless steel screws and make sure they are'nt too long.........have seen a similar repair to @dagree but using flat alloy plate under both mounts and looked very schmick.

Reactions: Delano

Bluey

Mar 31, 2014
Australia
Has anyone had the problem with the latch coming away?
(see pic attracted )
it's out of warranty now
it has not been over adjusted or anything like that
i went to our our local jayco dealer he cant give me any advise on how or what to do to fix it
the only advise he gave me was to contact jayco and see if they will give me good will on repairs
i explained to him that i just need to get it repaired even if i pay for it
i get the feeling they just only want to do a repair and get paid by jayco factory
i know everyone has very good things to say about the dealerships around the place but this is what i expected from out local dealer i have seen this before from them ( no service)
anyway i did not post to bitch about them i just want to fix it and move on
anyway anyone recommend what i need to fix ?
i.e glue or something like this
also if it has not been hit with anything either
View attachment 38682

thanks
I noticed mine was loose the screws tryed to tighten but nothing there are only screwed in to blocks of timber in the walls if thet miss the blocks its no good so they moved my latch closer to awning slider where we knew there was timber right at the back of van and corner of pop top works well but i can still see where old one was where are you good place next to jayco geelong to take it

Reactions: dagree and Delano

Dove

Aug 14, 2013
Melb, Vic.
I suggest you don't use liquid nails in exposed or wet areas. Most are water based and rain can cause it to go soft, screws pull out. I have seen it fail after rain

Reactions: dagree and Drover

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Probably meaning the insulation gets dissolved as it cures, too brittle when it sets.

achjimmy

Jan 24, 2011
Doing a Reno on the house once where I'd used liquid nails 15years before, I am not a fan of its long term holding power. Usually where Jayco put something like an awning arm or latch they put in a block of wood. If it's not there that's ur problem and it should be Jaycos too. If it is you maybe able to move the catch and pick up the wood. Or even plug the stripped hole with dowel and urea glue and go again. @dagree repair sounds like the way to go otherwise, but I'd substitute the no nails for some fancy pants glue that adheres to fiberglass, wood and metal (araldite?)

Reactions: dagree

Drover

Nov 7, 2013
QLD
Yep @achjimmy , used Liquid Nails on a job about 20 yrs ago, ran out so finished the shelving with No More Gaps...fast forward 15 yrs and removing said shelves, Liquid Nails just fell off with tap of hammer after removing screws, No more Gaps took half the wall away, sticks real good.

Reactions: dagree